Bazzazz Z-Bomb Question

• Member Contributer

if you're happy with the bike, by all means, leave it the way it is.....for those who want to enjoy the bike's full potential, do the reflash....in my 40+ years of modifying bikes, nothing has come anywhere close to the bang for the buck of the Guhl reflash

And it's folk like you that end up depleting my bank balance! :wacko:

For someone to claim it makes THAT much difference, and all the others who claim it changes the bike, there really must be something to it, it's just I've never noticed anything lacking.

So, my aim this summer when I get back will be to find a friendly fellow VFRD'er who has done either the Z-Bomb or Guhl mod and ask kindly for a test ride of their bike to see just what it is I'm clearly missing.

Mr Chanmenie has kindly offered and he's not too far away from me so a trip to Norfolk is on the cards. Coming with me Martin?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you're happy with the bike, by all means, leave it the way it is.....for those who want to enjoy the bike's full potential, do the reflash....in my 40+ years of modifying bikes, nothing has come anywhere close to the bang for the buck of the Guhl reflash

And it's folk like you that end up depleting my bank balance! :wacko:

For someone to claim it makes THAT much difference, and all the others who claim it changes the bike, there really must be something to it, it's just I've never noticed anything lacking.

So, my aim this summer when I get back will be to find a friendly fellow VFRD'er who has done either the Z-Bomb or Guhl mod and ask kindly for a test ride of their bike to see just what it is I'm clearly missing.

Mr Chanmenie has kindly offered and he's not too far away from me so a trip to Norfolk is on the cards. Coming with me Martin?

Yeah, why not, I've got an open mind.

• Member Contributer

I might even meet you guy's part way, I have a mate who lives in Royston

We know some nice roads around Norfolk & a couple of nice cafes too. :beer:

big dip in power > no dip in power. Can't see where the pessimism can come from tbh, can you honestly not feel the restriction if you open it up in 1st and 2nd?

big dip in power > no dip in power. Can't see where the pessimism can come from tbh, can you honestly not feel the restriction if you open it up in 1st and 2nd?

Here's the thing, I've ridden all sorts of bikes over a quite varied and so far 34 year biking career. I've ridden fast sports bikes that do indeed pick up amazingly well. I've ridden some nails that bore you rigid waiting for something to happen. I've used an 800Fi1 (5th gen) for a long time and now the big 1200 for a couple of years. I've been told all sorts of tails about modifications people have done to their road bikes on the web and so on but yet, when those people come out on one of my clubs rideouts they never seem to disappear into the distance and make me think, wow, I need that mod!!!

Both the VFR800 and 1200 are very capable road bikes, the best kind of road bike IMHO. They're both more than capable of showing many other vehicles a clean pair of heels and, again IMHO, don't need any performance enhancements to continue being very capable road bikes. But, there's a very understandable difference between 'need' and 'want' or 'prefer'. I completely understand the desire to remove restrictions and 'improve' things to a personal liking. But, that doesn't mean it's needed or that everyone should believe 'internet opinions' without any personal experience or a recommendation from a known and trusted mate.

I doubt I'll be sending my ECU to another continent to a company I've no personal knowledge of. But if I get to test a modified bike and think wow, I need that mod, I might change my mind.

But in all honesty, it doesn't matter to me. The thing's plenty quick enough and I can tell you many a boring tale of how extra power / pick up / whatever didn't help the user.

In the meantime, I'll continue on my sedate way to wherever my big viffer takes me ;-)

It turned up today, I'll plug it in tomorrow as the weather is due to pick up and see how it goes.

Did you mean to put something in reply there matey? haha :)

While I have you, can you confirm if the caliper seizing issue is a year specific issue? If I can pick up a later model pair of calipers, I will - can't be arsed constantly cleaning the calipers and spraying them down with various mixtures to try and keep the most important part of the bike from killing me randomly.

• Member Contributer

When I first got my bike, it was way more smooth and linear than my 750 because of the big grunt of torque at the low end. I was amazed at how much more immediate the throttle inputs were, compared to what I was used to, also I had barely ridden in the last 15 years. Once I cleared the break-in period, I gave a big pull on the throttle......WWWOOOAAAAHHHH, I was barely ready for that! After that the bike intimidated to me, and it suited me fine for quite awhile - I was happy, and kept wondering what all the chatter was about the Z-Bomb on this forum. I figured I didn't need it, or that they fixed it for 2013.

Once I got new tires (stock ones are crap), the bike felt more "under" me and under my control. I was much less intimidated, and started pushing it. One day on a mountain road, I pulled out to pass a car on an uphill straightaway - I was in 2nd gear, at lower revs (4K-ish?) - I gave her the full beans and braced for "impact" - well, I nearly pushed myself over the bars, as I was in the "No Go Zone" of the torque dip. I had to limp back in my lane after realizing what had happened, and might not have the steam to make the pass. After that, I spent the rest of the day playing with the throttle, to see where the issue was, so I would be prepared to ride around it. I came to the conclusion that I would need the Z-Bomb, or a re-flash.

I got the Z-Bomb, and liked it, but also realized I was already addicted to the gear indicator. I had a rock puncture my radiator on the Silver State/Kernville ride and had to limp home several hundred miles. With everything apart, I opted to de-cat,and re-flash as I already had a pipe.

I can see how a conservative rider would not even notice the need for any mods, and a good rider can ride the tits off of a stock bike. I did not even notice for the first year of ownership. I however did not want to "ride around" that huge torque dip right in the middle of the fun zone, and I like modifying my vehicles.

VFR's are a jack of all trades, motorcycle - I see some people modifying them for more performance, and some more for comfort, and for the lucky few, they are perfect the way they are.

• Member Contributer

It turned up today, I'll plug it in tomorrow as the weather is due to pick up and see how it goes.

While I have you, can you confirm if the caliper seizing issue is a year specific issue? If I can pick up a later model pair of calipers, I will - can't be arsed constantly cleaning the calipers and spraying them down with various mixtures to try and keep the most important part of the bike from killing me randomly.

Either you've gone mental or you need to click the little switch to go back to BBCode Mode! This happens to me on occasion, I quote someone and I can't type anything.

When I first got my bike, it was way more smooth and linear than my 750 because of the big grunt of torque at the low end. I was amazed at how much more immediate the throttle inputs were, compared to what I was used to, also I had barely ridden in the last 15 years. Once I cleared the break-in period, I gave a big pull on the throttle......WWWOOOAAAAHHHH, I was barely ready for that! After that the bike intimidated to me, and it suited me fine for quite awhile - I was happy, and kept wondering what all the chatter was about the Z-Bomb on this forum. I figured I didn't need it, or that they fixed it for 2013.

Once I got new tires (stock ones are crap), the bike felt more "under" me and under my control. I was much less intimidated, and started pushing it. One day on a mountain road, I pulled out to pass a car on an uphill straightaway - I was in 2nd gear, at lower revs (4K-ish?) - I gave her the full beans and braced for "impact" - well, I nearly pushed myself over the bars, as I was in the "No Go Zone" of the torque dip. I had to limp back in my lane after realizing what had happened, and might not have the steam to make the pass. After that, I spent the rest of the day playing with the throttle, to see where the issue was, so I would be prepared to ride around it. I came to the conclusion that I would need the Z-Bomb, or a re-flash.

I got the Z-Bomb, and liked it, but also realized I was already addicted to the gear indicator. I had a rock puncture my radiator on the Silver State/Kernville ride and had to limp home several hundred miles. With everything apart, I opted to de-cat,and re-flash as I already had a pipe.

I can see how a conservative rider would not even notice the need for any mods, and a good rider can ride the tits off of a stock bike. I did not even notice for the first year of ownership. I however did not want to "ride around" that huge torque dip right in the middle of the fun zone, and I like modifying my vehicles.

VFR's are a jack of all trades, motorcycle - I see some people modifying them for more performance, and some more for comfort, and for the lucky few, they are perfect the way they are.

I can see where you may be coming from in regards to it being smoother. However, an injected bike is NEVER going to be as smooth and seemless as it's carbed equivalent. My posh VFR750 that has as-new/rebuilt carbs (all new seals, diaphragms etc) is faultless and much, much smoother than any injected bikes I've owned or ridden (and I've been through a fair few)

But if the carbs aren't balanced or the bike is just a bit worn, running lean or rich etc...like I said, I can understand, there's a lot more headaches with carbs than Fi in my experience.

• Member Contributer

Hi john, thanks for the heads up, what the fook happened there I don't know, but you could be right on your first thought. What I was trying to print in the first place was. On your first test ride, just hold on, because you will have a lot more get up and go. But be careful on our cold and greasy roads, its maybe not the best time of year to feel the full potential of the Z-bomb.

Either you've gone mental or you need to click the little switch to go back to BBCode Mode! This happens to me on occasion, I quote someone and I can't type anything.

Don't worry, not my first large capacity bike...but thanks for the heads up :)

Any ideas on the calipers? I'd rather swerve creating yet another thread....I'm wondering if the binding is just the 2010 model that's affected really

• Member Contributer

No John, it does not matter which model you have, but its only some bikes that suffer with this, I personally have not had a issue with mine, I tend to remove the pads every 4,000 miles, and give the pistons and callipers a good clean, seems to work for me.

Don't worry, not my first large capacity bike...but thanks for the heads up :)

Any ideas on the calipers? I'd rather swerve creating yet another thread....I'm wondering if the binding is just the 2010 model that's affected really

Ok cool, it's got a bit of dragging going on when I wheel it out the garage. Might just take them off the forks tomorrow and push the pistons out a bit and give them a quick clean. As it's an ex fuzz bike, it's been used in all weathers so I imagine they're a bit dirty.

I'm assuming you mean while they're off the bike...isn't GT85 a lubricant? Wouldn't imagine that's good to have around the pads and discs?!

Yes of course when off the bike, you can't clean them properly when they are still attached. And yes GT85 on the discs and pads would not be advisable.

If you fancy a trip to Norwich I'll do them for you. My rates are cheap

Archived