New Guy From Ma

SteveM

Hi Folks,

I'm soon to be the proud owner of an '04 VFR.

My son's a member here, and hasn't ridden since he and his wife had their first child, 3 years ago.

He made me a nice offer to sell me his VFR, and after "discussing" it with my wife, it's mine!

He/I have a Sargent seat, Two Bros exhaust, MRA touring screen.

We just replaced the battery, and I have RaceTech fork springs on order.

Still to come: a throttle lock and some Grip Puppies for the ride home.

It's in CA, and I live in MA, so that ride will happen in April or May.

I currently ride an ST1300 and DL650. The 'Strom will be sold, along with my '01 SV650 track bike.

Cheers!

Steve

post-34874-0-30425600-1453926614.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome aboard!

Some good guys from your area are members here.

Enjoy the Viffer but maybe price the SV track bike so it doesn't move out too quickly ;-)

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

You and your wife clearly raised your son well with a clever head on his shoulders....

Does he get visitation privileges? :biggrin: I'm sure he'll be glad he kept it in the family! Great 1st post.

Cheers

He sure does!

He's actually the only other one who's ridden my ST, come to think of it...

Steve

• Member Contributer

Welcome Steve! That's a ride and a half coming up. A log of your adventure filled with pictures is always appreciated.

Welcome Steve! That's a ride and a half coming up. A log of your adventure filled with pictures is always appreciated.

I'll do my best.

I plan on slabbing it for the most part, with stops for interesting stuff along the way. I really haven't done more than put the two addresses into Google maps, and moved the route about a bit.

The current route takes me through Dayton, Ohio, and I'll have to stop to see the AF museum. I've been to Flagstaff ~35 years ago on the way to the Grand Canyon, to that's a possibility.

The timing will probably depend on the weather, and any work I have, after my retirement date.

My son says it's got a 400 mile seat, and ~200 mile range, so I'll be stopping a bit more than on the ST.

My wife worries, so I bought a Spot Locator a few years ago, for a solo trip to Ontario.

Steve

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Good luck with your trip. Should be quite memorable.

Ride safe.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to one of the best MC forums around. I am in MA so give a shout out when you get the VFR and we can plan some rides together.

Welcome - Sounds like a great ride. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon I would recommend trying to plan it so that you are there for either sunset or sunrise. The canyon is at its best then and they have decent hotel facilities in the park as well. They are not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

• Member Contributer

Interesting suggestion. I have never been. I keep telling my wife that if we ever go to Vegas I'm renting a bike to go check out the Grand Canyon. Now I know that I will have to get the bike for two days and sleep over there as well.

C

• Member Contributer

Welcome - Sounds like a great ride. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon I would recommend trying to plan it so that you are there for either sunset or sunrise. The canyon is at its best then and they have decent hotel facilities in the park as well. They are not the cheapest but not the most expensive either.

+1 on the sunrise / set times. Two years ago at the north rim we got up early and walked to the overlook just before sunrise figuring that most everyone would be in the lodge having breakfast and there would be little crowding. Not only were the lighting and shadows fabulous, it worked out that we had the whole place to ourselves for about 45 minutes. While not there early, the south rim was a whole different story. While there were many places to pull the bike off and get some photo ops looking in to the canyon, the crowds were far greater than the north rim. Can't miss with either one - just a different experience.

South rim. A photo can't even come close to doing it justice - either the colors or the size. You have to see it in person to understand. Truly one of nature's most spectacular wonders.

gallery_20057_6985_115123.jpg

+1 on the sunrise / set times. Two years ago at the north rim we got up early and walked to the overlook just before sunrise figuring that most everyone would be in the lodge having breakfast and there would be little crowding. Not only were the lighting and shadows fabulous, it worked out that we had the whole place to ourselves for about 45 minutes. While not there early, the south rim was a whole different story. While there were many places to pull the bike off and get some photo ops looking in to the canyon, the crowds were far greater than the north rim. Can't miss with either one - just a different experience.

South rim. A photo can't even come close to doing it justice - either the colors or the size. You have to see it in person to understand. Truly one of nature's most spectacular wonders.

gallery_20057_6985_115123.jpg

I live in Arizona have been to the Canyon more times then I can remember actually. You know how it goes, brother comes to visit, go to the Canyon, another brother comes to visit, go to the Canyon, a friend comes to visit, go to the Canyon, the wifes........blah blah blah you get the drift been there tons. The one that stands out is the time I spent the night and we got to watch the Sunset and then got up early to watch sunrise. Words nor pictures will do it justice. Now if the option was visit or not and you have never been I would recommend going at anytime but the morning and evening thing is just my 2 cents.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Steve!

I'm in the Berkshires, look me up if you are in the area!

Welcome Steve!

I'm in the Berkshires, look me up if you are in the area!

I'll do that!

My buddy and I ride out that way often.

Steve

So the bike is mine. My son signed over the title, and I just gave my wife the cash she needs to send to him.

I did the forks just before I left CA last weekend, and it has a new battery.

Jeff notices the rear was worn to the point where I'll need to replace it before I get home, so he volunteered to pull the tires at some point to have the rubber replaced.

I've got some Grip Puppies and a throttle lock on my list of things to do before riding home, and the list is bound to get longer. Not for the bike. It's pretty well set up.

I've been to the Grand Canyon 34-ish years ago, and I'd love to get my wife there for a visit. I've got some nice memories of the sunrise over the canyon.

Steve

Archived