Picking Up Brand New 2015 Vfr 1200 On Saturday

Chanmenie

Well I really wanted a DCT model but could not get one, there are none available in the UK

I could have had one on special order from Japan but it would possibly take until May to arrive.

So I bought a red GT model which was registered on Monday.

The weather forecast is crap for Saturday so I'll pick it up in the van.

But fingers crossed it stays dry on Sunday so I can get out for a ride.

Need to decide on the mods, (or do you guys over the pond call them farkles)

hugger, exhaust etc etc

I like "mods" better. Classic manly automotive term. "Farkles" sounds like "sparkles" and to me sounds like I am adding glitter to the finish. This term creates all kinds of nightmares in my mind. But that is just me.

So sorry you couldn't get your primary choice. That's a bummer. Have you ridden something like a DCT or would that have been your first auto-shifting bike?

The good news is that you have the choice of a 2015 which we do not have. I am sure you will enjoy this bike tremendously! Congratulations! Can't wait to see some photos.

Seriously consider this, or an appropriate treatment from someone on your side:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr1200.html

I don't have a 1200 so I cannot comment on it, but it seems to be a rule that sport bike stock suspensions are harsh. Getting that tire to follow the road better can be a major upgrade.

Did you buy any Honda accessories?

Thanks knight

I had a DCT model on loan from the dealers for few days, it was the first auto bike I'd ridden and I liked it.

As far as Honda accessories go, I have bought the GT model so it comes with panniers, top box, touring screen, heated grips and centre stand.

Hope you really enjoy your new ride. Sorry you didn't get the DCT that you wanted. I don't think you will be disappointed with the manual. I have a 2014 and find the gearbox to be very slick. For riding in the uk I would recommend the Pyramid plastics rear hugger and an R&G rad gaurd. There are lots of parts you can get depending on how far you want to go. I've got ASV levers, Gilles rear sets, Arrow silencer and T-rex rear drive prector on mine.

Take it to MCT in Stowmarket and get their full suspension upgrade. You'll get new front internals, springs, 20mm MCT kit with modified cartridges and bespoke Wilbers shock with remote pre-load. It solves the wallowing you get with the standard set up when pushing on (particularly when loaded with luggage and pillion), it steers quicker and more precisely and feels considerably lighter to turn and change direction. Not cheap at approx. £1100 but well worth the money if you plan to keep the bike for any length of time. With this mod (I hate farkle too) you will want to keep it.

MCT have got this mod off to a fine art now after improving on their first attempts. I've 2 mates who've done the same and both say the same as me.

http://www.mctsuspension.com/Home.html

• Member Contributer

Nice. Will you plan on keeping your 'Bird or will the 1200 be replacing it? If you keep both, it would be interesting to see how you compare the two.

Thanks Steveb good tip on the hugger I have been looking at the options.

I already have a PC V and Bazza Z Bomb but I expect it will get lots of mods along the way

Thanks RoystonRocket2 I have heard about the upgrades MCT do and have used them in the past so will certainly be considering their suspension upgrade.

Cogswell I will have both bikes for awhile so yes it will be interesting riding them back to back

skip the PC V and Z Bomb and do the Guhl re flash...... better results, less money

no its cheaper as I got the PCv second hand I did fancy the re flash to be honest but did not want to post my ECU to the states from the UK

I'd be f****d if it got lost in the post

• Member Contributer

You don't need to do either.

The later model 1200s are very smooth and if you put a decent end can on (Royston & I would recommend the DAM) then that makes it silky smooth and easily able to be ridden at 1500rpm in low gears on throttle alone.

The ECU re-flash will remove the restrictions in gears 1-3 and 6 though, custom map your fuelling and you can play with a few other settings too (max rpm, fan temp cut-in) if you want but as you say, it keeps yr bike off the road whilst it is done. I am still considering it and will make a decision when I have more miles under my belt because right now, with the MCT suspension upgrade, the bike is near perfect. Especially as my new seat arrived today!

seat_zpsbni04ytm.jpg

Best of luck with the new bike. :beer:

Thanks Skids

personally I'm not so keen on the DAM exhaust,

we have discussed before the UK bikes are not restricted in 3rd just 1st 2nd and 6th. The main issue I have with the reflash is posting the ECU to the states,

The advantage fo the PCv is that if you change exhaust, air filter or decat you can download a suitable map or have it dynoed to get the perfect map, so the PCv can be changed to suit, the reflash can't.

I might even add the autotune.

The only disadvantage with the Z bomb is the gear indicator not working for 1st and 2nd but I can live with that.

What seat have you got ? we do of course need pictures. I'm planning on a custom seat as I will do lots of two up touring.

• Member Contributer

Ok, it's my understanding that the US model is only restricted in 1, 2 & 6 but the UK/Euro is 1, 2, 3 & 6.

Either way, it's your bike and your choice of course.

I added a picture to my post above. It's a Custom Motorcycle Seat (Melvin) with added gel pad inserts for both seat. I have a near identical one on my Vtec and it is very comfortable.

I might even add the autotune.

Be aware of the Wide Band 2 unit. It is the same as Autotune but it has outputs for additional gauges. When I researched this the WB2 was actually cheaper, which I did not understand, unless it is newer and DynoJet just figured out how to make the newer device less expensive. (I have not bought it though.)

• 3 weeks later...

just call Don, i don't think the website ever listed the VFR

In the UK, so a call will cost me the approximate worth of half a testicle. I'll drop 'em a mail :)

$375 - £265~

Not bad I suppose. I'm yet to even ride the thing yet, getting it delivered next weekend I hope. If it's as much of a shit in 1st while slow filtering, I'll send the ECU off.

Now this may seem like a daft question but I've never done this, if the ECU was lost in transit - will I be able to plug a replacement in? I'm assuming I'll need the keys to match though!

• Member Contributer

$375 - £265~

Not bad I suppose. I'm yet to even ride the thing yet, getting it delivered next weekend I hope. If it's as much of a shit in 1st while slow filtering, I'll send the ECU off.

Now this may seem like a daft question but I've never done this, if the ECU was lost in transit - will I be able to plug a replacement in? I'm assuming I'll need the keys to match though!

I don't believe the newer models are as bad on the throttle at low revs as the earlier ones.

If you are considering getting a replacement end can, I'd be tempted to get that before you re-flash. My end can made the bike smoother but it was never bad at low revs and was easily rideable on throttle alone at 1500rpm-ish but with the DAM end can on, it's just that little bit better.

Whilst I have been tempted by the re-flash, I am still struggling to find a reason to do it. As you imply yr going to do, get it, ride it and then make decisions.

Whilst I have been tempted by the re-flash, I am still struggling to find a reason to do it. As you imply yr going to do, get it, ride it and then make decisions.

I'm with you on that one Skids, the only advantage of the reflash over the Z Bomb is the gear indicator working properly , so it's a lot of money and a risk in posting your ECU just for that.

Archived