What's It Worth? '86 Vfr750F

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

A while back I found a nice '86 VFR750F for sale that caught my eye. The bodywork is in overall nice condition - not perfect, but original and nice. The windshield has to be replaced however, and it will need the usual stuff - carb cleaning, battery, tires, brake work, fork seals, etc. On the plus side, it has under 15K original miles. Seller has dropped his price down to $3100. IMO, this is still way too high and anything over $2500 is too much. I think $2000 is the ceiling in this condition. Opinions?

• Member Contributer

The VFR was produced in both 750cc and 700cc models that year. The 750 is more rare and desirable for collectors but still I don't think he'll get what he is asking for it since it will need some refreshing. I think $2000 - $2500 is a fair price considering the relatively low miles.

• Member Contributer

I'm with RollinAgain - $2,000 to $2,500. This isn't the time of year north of the equator to be selling a bike, so probably less rather than more. It is a nice, clean example though.

Thanks for posting the pix. Im selling because when I lived in the mountains of Colorado it was the obvious bike to own. Living in northern WI not so much. Its a great all original bike. Unabused.

• Member Contributer

Good luck with the sale!

Unabused I cannot see from a picture, for I guess you mean "not revved till the max all of the tiem"

but blue duct tape on the signal stem, scratch on lower cowl and screw missing from fuse panel doesnot make it a pristine one.

But, they are very nice bikes!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting the pix. Im selling because when I lived in the mountains of Colorado it was the obvious bike to own. Living in northern WI not so much. Its a great all original bike. Unabused.

It's a great bike .

• Member Contributer

From what Les has told me, he rode it and enjoyed it, but didn't beat on it. It's too bad about the fairing scratches, but at least they aren't really wide. And those rubber turn signal stems eventually dry out, crumble, and break. Aftermarket ones are readily available.

I see plastic parts like the fuse box with faded colors, bolts with oxidation on int, brown rust like stuff on the joint of the lower fairing. Rust on the left chain tensioner. Aftermaket mirrors. So the bike needs attention. Plus for the american market its 750 cc and at least 15 more horses hidden in the engine compared to the 700.

The Dutch bike Dutchy showed is in near absoluut mint condition, i have inspected the bike. I do not know actual prices on the american market, but that bike would do about 1000 euro in my country.

• Member Contributer

I'm not looking for a perfect VFR750, but I'd like a very nice one. We talked some more and the seller dropped his price a bit, but still not low enough for me to justify the $600+ cost to ship to my home. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for another one. They pop up now and then.

All good inputs and opinons - I appreciate it, guys!

• 4 weeks later...

I've done my fair share of these. It would be well-bought anywhere below $2000 and well-sold anywhere above. Just my $.02

JOE in IL

V4Dreams.com

Archived