Just Had The Bike Buffed - Lovely Gloss Finish.

hellindustries

• Member Contributer

I just buffed mine today too. Used the road.....not something I'd recommend. IMG_1906.jpg

• Member Contributer

Always hate to see that. Hopefully you came through it in better shape. Did the tank pick up a small ding too (beneath the Honda logo)?

• Member Contributer

I just buffed mine today too. Used the road.....not something I'd recommend.

I think you used a little too abrasive of a compound.

Looks great! Were the pads removed from the tank or did they buff around them?

Buffed around. Stomp grips aren't cheap!

Do you happen to know which particular Stomp grips you're using?

Just the large universal ones. There are no specific shaped ones for the 5th gen. They come in clear or black.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear that Terry, wasn't in the Hunua Gorge by any chance?

No, out near Paparimu. Big bastard diesel spill.

Orbital sander, soft foam pad and a plastic polish (I used Meguiars Motorcycle Plastic Cleaner/polish) will put a glass smooth as new finish on your screen, also works on your visor.

• Member Contributer

We all hope you came through unscathed Terry.

Oh and hellindustries the 5th gen looks showroom new!

• Member Contributer

In order to resurrect neglected finishes (notice poor condition mirror condoms), I do two coats/passes each in this order: rubbing compound, polishing compound, scratch remover, and light wax. First three steps with foam pads and electric drill (used like an orbital) and finally wax by hand. Start to finish, this will take approx. 1 hour PER large panel and tank but obviously less for front fender/seat cowl. I spent even more time on my tank due to some fine cat-like scratches in two spots.

Oh yeah, and start with an absolutely clean finish (at least two passes on the leading edges for bugs/road grime with a good degreaser).

62AC9A82-D534-413E-AC55-AFDE80C45D51_zps

• Member Contributer

We all hope you came through unscathed Terry.

Oh and hellindustries the 5th gen looks showroom new!

Thanks Mikey. I was wearing full leathers and a formerly nice, new Arai helmet plus boots and gloves, so unlike my bike, I have not a scratch on me, but I am feeling a little bruised.

Hellindustries, sorry for the threadjack.

DS spares are good. Recently got myself a whole load of bolts to replace those which were rusted and weathered.

Really tempted to get some replacement mirrors. Mine can't decide if they want to go floppy or rock solid, and the mirror part itself moves around with vibration and doesn't stay where i put it.

• Member Contributer

I actually picked up a set of the 2000 mirrors from amazon. They are made by Emgo and are quite good. (Although the cap head screws that came with them were just plain carbon steel and developed surface rust. I would recommend painting the screws, or replace them with stainless.)

I actually picked up a set of the 2000 mirrors from amazon. They are made by Emgo and are quite good. (Although the cap head screws that came with them were just plain carbon steel and developed surface rust. I would recommend painting the screws, or replace them with stainless.)

I'll go with the DS spares ones, Emgo versions have too much P&P to make it worth it. I've recently replaced the mirror bolts with a load of new stainless caphead. Tempted to get quick release bolts (like bicycles have for the seats) for the mirrors so i don't need to carry an Allen key around with me all the time.

Archived