New Ride Help

Htwin

Hello everyone. I will need some help choosing my next ride.

Here is my background. I am riding bike since the last 25 years. Run alot of V-twin and like the torque.

I stopped riding on the road to do some track day only on a Gsxr 1000.

Now here is my comcern. Wanted to buy a Cbr1100xx and when I met the seller I told myself wow what a huge bike!!! Did not even road tested it... Now I am thinking to go back to the Vfr. I owned a 2003 Vtec unit for 3 years but now I am looking to try the older model, maybe a red 2000 model i spotted.

So I am wondering:

1- If I will be happy buying the older model then the Vtec I got?

2-Also what do you think about the XX?

I dont want to do any racing(on the road) with the bike. Commuting around and 2-3 day trip with luggage.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD!

There is a lot of love here for the 5th Gen and the gear driven cams. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 5th gen, or the 6th Gen with vtec. If you plan to take trips with luggage, the 6th gen is more appealing as OEM hard case luggage is available. (New saddlebags can still be purchased through David Silver Spares.) I have no experiance with the CBR1100xx, but would love to try one someday!

Welcome to VFRD!

There is a lot of love here for the 5th Gen and the gear driven cams. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 5th gen, or the 6th Gen with vtec. If you plan to take trips with luggage, the 6th gen is more appealing as OEM hard case luggage is available. (New saddlebags can still be purchased through David Silver Spares.) I have no experiance with the CBR1100xx, but would love to try one someday!

Thanks Conedodger.

Dont know if you tried both the 5 and 6 gen but power wise is there alot of difference from the Vtec I got? I have been tol that the 5th gen run smoother?

Welcome to the site! As for which VFR to go with between the 5th or 6th gen, To be honest, I am biased. I find the 5th gen to be the better bike. But there are some compelling features to the 6th gen.

1. The 5th gen is looking pretty dated by today standards, but it is still a damn good looking bike. The 6th gen is still a sexy bike.
  2. The linked brakes are good on the 5th gen, but linked brakes with ABS on the 6th gen are so much better. You can of course get stainless brake lines for the 5th gen and that will help. Matter of fact, since the 5th gens are now 15 years old, so it's probably a good idea to replace those old rubber hoses anyways.
  3. The exhaust on the 6th gen is so good looking, but it is heavy as hell and takes up all the space under the tail. That means your R/R is up in the front with the engine heat. It is laid out better on the 5th gen. Both gen's have shitty charging systems and will need to be beefed up if it hasn't been done yet.
  4. Tires and wheels are identical so you don't have to worry about outdated tires on the 5th gen, you can run any modern tire you want.
  5. Both bikes are on the easier side to wrench on, but the 5th is easier IMO.

I think everything above are things that most people will agree with; now here comes the bias.

1. I don't like the VTEC of the 6th gen. I found the bike to be completely soulless prior to VTEC engagement. In order for me to feel "inspired" on my old 2007, I had to wring it's neck. On my 5th gen, I felt like I was riding an exotic just pulling into a parking lot! The motor of the 5th gen still has the gear driven cams and there is no waiting for the power after ~6K rpm.
  2. The 6th gen does have OEM luggage, but now that I have had both, I think I prefer the Givi for ruggedness and being lighter.
  3. Exhaust options on the 5th gen are going to be cheaper.
  4. The suspension on the 6th gen is also marginally better, but everyone agrees that suspension uprgades are important on either bike. Get a custom setup from Jamie Daugherty and they will be pretty close for handling.

Either way you go, you will be getting a good bike. But if I were to choose between the two, I would go for a 5th gen.

• Member Contributer

I'm completely biased, I test-rode a few VTEC bikes but bought a 1999 5th gen VFR. Handling wise they are similar, power/noise wise there's no contest; I disliked the two-stage power on the VTEC, but I do think they are a great looking bike. I also rode a 2014 VFR800 and to be honest there was nothing on that bike that was greatly superior to my 1999 model (but it did feel "newer"). I'd buy the 5th gen, then spend some money on updating the suspension.

• Member Contributer

I have ridden both a fair bit 1100 is very deceptively quick and can garner you some outrageous performance awards . Better bike I think is still the VFR .

• Member Contributer

Owning both 5th and 6th gens, I would say the differences are subtle, and some subject to personal preference, such as styling. The 5th gen is getting to an age where aftermarket accessories will be getting scarcer - someone was here a week or two ago inquiring where they might find a slipon for one. The VTEC has bolt on factory luggage if you want it - a 5th gen you'll be looking at Givi or similar. The 5th gen motor has simpler valve adjustments and will not suffer from cam chain tensioner issues. The main reason I bought a VTEC is that I wanted the ABS brakes - away from that I could happily ride either one all day.

As for a XX, they're a fantastic machine - if I were to put a 3rd bike in the garage, that would be it. I might fear for my driver's license and insurance rates though . . . From what I've read, they too suffer from a few maladies, including CCT issues - but nothing that would prevent me from owning one. Member Recalcitrance I believe owns(ed) a VTEC and a XX - maybe a good source for direct comparison.

• Member Contributer

I've ridden 125k miles on my 98 5th Gen and am currently up to almost 60k miles on my 08 6th Gen.

Which would I recommend?

It all depends. There are so many variables when it comes to choosing a used bike when you are comparing one against another that it makes it very complex.

Both 5th & 6th Gen are superb bikes imo. Whichever you buy, as long as you get a decent example, you wont be disappointed.

But if I had to choose between my 5th & my 6th Gen, I would choose the 6th. The ONLY things significantly better on the 5th Gen imo are the seamless torque & the valve service. The 6th is otherwise better all round and any other issues (SV balancing for example) are too small to worry about.

Archived