My Vfr Story

MrGrumpy83

An introduction to myself and my journey onto a VFR is in order ;)

My name is Tom, my friends call me Grumps. I started riding about 18 months ago on a Honda CB400. Great little bike and I've put 20,000km onto it in that time.

A few weeks after getting my restricted license I went on a group ride. A friend of a friend came along who was riding 5th gen VFR800. I was captivated by that bike and the passion with which the owner spoke about it. Not long after this I saw the 8th gen VFR and was instantly in love. I had to have one.

Fast forward 12 months and I've received my unrestricted license. I have been lusting after the 8th gen for the best part of a year. I was desperate to get on to one. The missus on the other hand, had other ideas. She wanted me to lose some weight. So, we struck a deal... I'd reduce my weight to 85kg and then I could look at upgrading.

I made this chart and stuck it on the fridge to keep me accountable.

post-34119-0-65363300-1443055970.jpg

Somewhere along the way, 92kg became the 'you can test ride them' point. And it was agreed that if the right bike for the right price came along, perhaps I could purchase it - provided I'd dropped below 92kg.

I started at 107kg in April and have worked hard since then. I hit 92kg about 3 weeks ago, although I had already test ridden a couple of VFRs at that point.

A fortnight ago I saw a used 2015 8th gen pop up for sale which appeared to be the right bike at the right price. I couldn't move on it quickly as I was in Indonesia - but planned to look when I returned to Australia. Unfortunately, I missed out on that bike but the dealer made me an impossible to refuse offer on a brand new 8th gen.

So last Saturday (September 20), I picked up my brand new bike. And I've loved every second of it since! I'm at 91kg now but the deal remains - I still have to get to 85kg. So while I'm happy, the hard work continues!

post-34119-0-54476700-1443055969.jpg

post-34119-0-74537000-1443055965.jpg

post-34119-0-81357800-1443055963.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great story! You're soon to find out why the 5th gen owner spoke with such passion about his bike. With the right exhaust, the sound is intoxicating. Keep us posted on your progress and give us more pics when you get the chance!

Congratulations, on the loss and the gain!

Thanks!

Great story! You're soon to find out why the 5th gen owner spoke with such passion about his bike. With the right exhaust, the sound is intoxicating. Keep us posted on your progress and give us more pics when you get the chance!

Yes, the sound of his was intoxicating even following him. The sound of the 8th gen is intoxicating too - cannot wait until I get some more funds back in the bank to throw a nice pipe on it!

Yeah more photos - don't have many so far, been too busy riding! I'll head out with a decent camera this weekend and make sure I get some!

• Member Contributer

Win-win! Congratulations--and welcome to the fun house. The next time someone writes about saving two pounds with $500 worth of carbon fibre, you can set them straight: Push back from the table a bit sooner and spend the money on fuel and tires instead. :beer:

• 4 months later...

So best part of 6 months on and I'm absolutely loving this bike. It's just ticked over 6000km and the last week or so I've noticed that it seems to be smoother than it normally is. If it is or not, I don't know, but I'm sure enjoying riding it!

Yes, every bit of the drivetrain and suspension will loosen up as it breaks in. That does make sense.

You can add your bike year to your profile so that when you post we are reminded of which model you have and don't have to ask you.

Did you hit the 85kg mark? Been eyeing these bikes up for a while, was in a dealers today picking up my 1200 from the recall and saw a fully loaded one sat on the show floor...thought about trading in the 1200 there and then haha, decided I need to spend a bit more time with it before I decide though.

• Member Contributer

As someone well north of 85kg, I'll use your story as inspiration and the best way to remove unwanted pounds from this great motorbike. After four of them ('95, '99, '03, '14), I've gotten to the point where it doesn't feel like a proper bike unless it has that wonderful V4 sound. Still think about a VFR1200 from time to time as it would be nice to have the V4 and a driveshaft! Good riding!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived