Changing Spark Plugs Without Factory Tool?

number9

My VFR desperately needs some new spark plugs. I went to change them and I think I've lost the factory tool.

Has anyone got an alternative to the factory tool? I'll order a new one but I think it'll take a week or two to get to me. I've read some horror stories about people using regular spark plug sockets...

If you have a spark plug socket with the rubber insert & wobbly connector, it'll work fine. The rubber insert is required to pull the plug out of the deep hole.

• Member Contributer

Yep a standard 16mm thin wall spark plug socket is needed if you've lost the factory tool.

• Member Contributer

I haven't touched the plugs on my 6th gen but I did the ones on my 4th gen using a 4 inch extension and a short u-joint adapter...and yes, a standard spark plug socket with the rubber insert to grip the plug.

• Member Contributer

I've never used the factory tool - just a spark plug socket and an extension. Sometimes the extension wants to come out of the socket rather than the socket coming off the plug. :angry: I can usually get the plug set in the socket's rubber boot just enough to hold it in place but still let it come off once torqued.

I just pulled my plugs tonight. I used the plug socket and two 3 inch extensions. To pull the plugs I used my trusty extendable magnet. No problem took 45 minutes including and oil change. I have densos in the bike, I will replace with NGK's

• Member Contributer

A short length of silicone hose or rubber tubing pushed onto the ceramic part of the plug can be used to retrieve spark plugs. Also good for gently threading them into the head.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

A short length of silicone hose or rubber tubing pushed onto the ceramic part of the plug can be used to retrieve spark plugs. Also good for gently threading them into the head.

Ciao,

+1 JZH... you took the words right out of my mouth... I believe this is the best method...

My VFR desperately needs some new spark plugs. I went to change them and I think I've lost the factory tool.

Has anyone got an alternative to the factory tool? I'll order a new one but I think it'll take a week or two to get to me. I've read some horror stories about people using regular spark plug sockets...

Never had a factory tool, its probably worthless, use a 3 inch and a 6inch extension in combo, with proper socket and a magnet tool, you don't even to remove fairings for the front, and just pivot the tank for the rear ones. Its actually not bad at all.

Thanks guys. I had heard some horror stories of regular spark plug sockets getting stuck in the cylinder heads, so I didn't want to take a change as my car is off the road right now! And it's a long walk to the office. :491:

• Member Contributer

There are thin walled 16mm spark plug sockets available.

I've got one of those as the bore diameter is quite tight.

Never had a problem with the thin walled ones.

Archived