Just Thinking Out Of The Box

Skopone24

Ok before I get digitally flogged on this post for not using the SEARCH, I did... I might be just Dumb and can't figure it out so I am going to just post this questions. I love my 2000 VFR Yellow. But, I am STILL madly in love with my 2007 RWB that I had back in the day. However I love the ergo's of this gen and the motor. I can ride this bike all day long when I couldn't on the 2007. I know it might be crazy but for some reason it is what it is. They were both STOCK bikes with no bling.

Can you put Sixth Gen Body work on a Fifth Gen bike?

• Member Contributer

I can't speak for the mod you want to attempt but I have seen a 5th gen with the RWB paint scheme. That would probably be much more cost effective than buying a whole set of rather rare bodywork. Just sayin'!

pretty sure the tank swaps as well. The fairing will be a bitch to line up, but if you are crafty, I see no physical limitation on the fitment.

• Member Contributer

The rear is somewhat straightforward. As Timmy TC says, the tank bolts up with no issues. the front fairing and side panels would be a real PITA.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80091-hybrid-vfr-5th-gen-with-a-6th-gen-subframe/page-8

if you decide to do it, I would enjoy watching your project. I have been asking myself lately if I should have gone one more step and tried fitting the front fairing as well.

• Member Contributer

I can't speak for the mod you want to attempt but I have seen a 5th gen with the RWB paint scheme. That would probably be much more cost effective than buying a whole set of rather rare bodywork. Just sayin'!

Here's a thread from the 'other' VFR site where someone Photoshopped a RWB paint scheme (with a few variations) on to a 5th gen. Either 5th or 6th, IMHO white wheels really add to that color combo.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/16666-What-would-a-red-white-and-blue-5th-gen-look-like

• Member Contributer

Ive also seen the 5th gen bodywork for sale in the RWB on ebay... don't expect it to fit well though.

post-24302-0-11953900-1440819977.jpg

post-24302-0-65270500-1440819997.jpg

• Member Contributer

I can't say for the 2000 model but 6th gen plastics will bolt up quite easily to a '98 with the exception of the tail of course. The 6th gen upper and stay will bolt right up and the lowers only require a couple bracket modifications. The 6th gen tank hits the coils and back of the airbox but would bolt up with some spacers. Gauges require a major splice job and there's only wiring for two headlights. The 6th gen tail is a pretty major mod requiring cutting, welding, cold-forging and creative relocation of rear wiring harness. It's actually easier to start with a 6th gen and swap motors.

You silly ass. Your bike is MINT! My 2 cents, buy a RWB side panel and hang it on the garage wall to stare at....or a large poster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya...what he says !!!

• Member Contributer

Not that I would do it, but its an interesting question. Gathering all the plastics and instrumentation would cost some bucks... Starting with a 6th gen fairing stay, probly could be pulled off, with lot of patience and bucks....

• Member Contributer

There are at least 2 RWB 6th Gens with 5th Gen engines out there.

Personally I prefer the look of the 5th Gen. I did consider painting it RWB, but went with a solid color not found on the 5G with no decals, and dumbo delete. Clean and simple.

I'd think the Chinese fairing kit in RWB would be a bit easier than trying to graft the 6G body work on. Tank swap has been done, and it's not tough. You can also swap tails, but it's a lot of work and you'd need an exhaust. In the long run it's probably easier to buy a second VFR!

Archived