Battery Fluid Level Low, Top Up With Demineralised Water?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

In fitting the new shock, we took out the battery, it is one with little yellow plugs on top of the cells.

With it out, I noticed that the fluid level was WAAAAY below the minimum mark on the side. some only have half up to the minimum level, some 3/4

The battery itself performs flawlessly.

Bought a bottle of DM'd water but now wonder if I simply fill with DM water only or if -since the levels are so low- I must add some acid??? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Distilled water is best Dutchy.What you are calling demineralized is probably the same. Either way you should not have to add any acid. Probably be good to put on trickle charger.

• Member Contributer

The water is there to put the sulphuric acid in suspension. Only the water evaporates, so only water is needed top bring the solution back to the proper level and concentration of acid. DM and distilled water go through different processes. Distillation can leave volatile compounds behind that have boiling points above that of water. Either would work fine - DM is a good choice for both batteries and cooling systems.

• Member Contributer

Cheers guys!!

Drinking some distilled to your health.... And it aint water! :-)

In fitting the new shock, we took out the battery, it is one with little yellow plugs on top of the cells.

With it out, I noticed that the fluid level was WAAAAY below the minimum mark on the side. some only have half up to the minimum level, some 3/4

The battery itself performs flawlessly.

Bought a bottle of DM'd water but now wonder if I simply fill with DM water only or if -since the levels are so low- I must add some acid??? :unsure:

Acid vapor is not kind to metal parts, that's why better to stick to sealed type batteries, otherwise distilled water is fine for your purpose.

• Member Contributer

Before
IMAG2545.jpg
I filled the left one for reference

After
IMAG2546.jpg

10 minutes on the tender and the check light turned green.

post-8974-0-51202700-1440761505.jpg

post-8974-0-06530600-1440761551.jpg

Well I was also surprised whit wifes bikes battery, (1986 Suzuki GSX550E) bike sitting since 2009, as I did take it back to life early this summer I did just charge the batter (that was not new even in 2009) and it performed fine! Heal charge so bike started even sitting for weeks. I was stored in warm and dry all years. How long it will work I don´t know, and will not know, as bike is sold now.

I have the same bike (VF500F) and this week had to buy the same battery for it. My previous one was a cheap AC Delco (half price on an Amazon sale), so I didn't expect it to last long, even on a Tender. And it didn't. I got 700 miles out of it. This time I went back to Yuasa like you. I've always had better luck with them. I have them in all of the bikes, and some are now...8-10 years old, all on a Battery Tender.

I wish Yuasa made a gel/maintenance-free battery for the VF500F, but they don't. All my other bikes have the Yuasa maintenance-free ones, and it sure is nice not to have to worry about having to peal off bodywork from time to time to check/add water.

• Member Contributer

It's harder to kill a "conventional" battery than an AGM, but I don't like the mess/hassle. (AGM have been standard on most bikes since the 1990s, so what is "conventional" is changing!) You can always find a modern battery to fit an older application. Just measure and modify as necessary.

Ciao,

Archived