Salvaged Bikes

Anyone have experience buying salvaged bikes from salvagebikesauction.com? Seems kind of like it could be a great way to waste a lot of money. But I'm good at that....

I've bought and repaired more then 50 bikes from Insurance Auctions ( not that particular outfit who buys them from Ins Auctions like everyone else and marks them up) and have never had any problems with any of them, BUT I know what I'm looking at and personally checked over each one prior to purchase.

I do Not recommend buying site unseen, too many possible issues not visible with pics the seller or auction takes.

BR

I 've bought my first BMW R1200GS salavage title. Its front part (winscreen, clock,..) has been replaced. Side panels was repaired and replaced. I got it shipped from the US to me and I have enjoyed more than 20K km with it here in Vietnam. Sold it last year.

Only reason I bought it because It was cheapest one which I can afford.

Salvage or Ins bikes are often a Great way to go especially if you plan to keep and ride it yourself.

Many times they get totaled just for scratches on the plastic! If a single scratch is on an item the adjuster has to replace it or write it up on the repair quote and these items cost a fortune from the Dealer.

Most States require you to either be a Salvage yard, Dealer or some other business to be able to buy directly from the Insurance Auto Auctions which is how I got mine as I worked as a licensed wholesaler thru a Dealer. You can get some increditable deals this way ie: I bought my current 2002 VFR in 02 from and Ins Auction w/only 200 miles on it w/clean tiltle for $600.00. I spent around a total of $3k fixing it and it was a $10k bike new. I hammered over 100k miles on it w/o issue. Some States like TN exempt MC's from the salvage laws so if your lucky your State does the same thing, but it's doubtful.

Outfits like the one you mentioned here buy them cheap and double or triple the price and sell them untouched to the public making them not as desirable cost wise, but if you don't have a direct way to buy them like i did it's your only choice.

Also if it is a Salvage branded bike or auto it will reduce resale value 25-40%, but if you plan to ride it that is not a factore for me. They also are a great source for Track bikes.

Enjoy.

BR

Or you can drag them home and ignore them for a decade, like me.

My VFR was "totaled" by insurance. I convinced the owner to buy it back from company for 1800 bones. Took me about 500 to get it vack to groovy and have been enyojing it since.

Good, now I'm back to "thinking about it." I have my eye on a few that are probably just scratched up and the replacement cost on the plastic comes close to ACV, therefore "total loss." These are the typical 600s that newbies trash. There's a few with under 2K miles on them. Cosmetic, mostly.

Thanks for all the feedback. I enjoy this site. I can post questions and concerns without getting thrashed. At my age, I just don't need that crap.

I missed out on a great buy a few years back; my 91 VFR750 was totaled by the insurance company after a dozy car driver u-turned into me. I knew that even though it had been "written off" by the insurers, it was mostly cosmetic damage (e.g., dented muffler, new one priced at NZ$130, whereas aftermarket was only $600). My wife vetoed it though, saying "I'm not having MY garage cluttered up with bike bits for months!". So, I took the payout (around NZ$5k or so, IIRC). As chance would have it, I caught up with the guy who bought the 'wreck' at auction and fixed it up. His total outlay, including the wreck, was NZ$2450. So, if I'd been able to do the same as him, I would've had a better version of my original bike, plus a profit. And some marital discord, of course.

That reminds me that I returned to riding after being a straight line squid back in 99. My owners son's started buying 600's at the same Ins Auctions we were buying cars from, as always I didn't want what everyone else had so I spotted a 93 Pearl White VFR and snagged it for $1400. The most I ever spent on a VFR.

Put 10k miles on that one then bought a 2000 VFR with 1214 miles on it for $800, put 15k miles on it when I bought my current 02 VFR for $600 and put over 100k miles on it and counting! :cheerleader:

Obviously no Middle Men at those prices! :cool:

BR

• Member Contributer

Be very cautious with that site. We've been burned on it before, and some bikes that I have watched and bid on 'mysteriously' disappear from the listing two days before end, if it looks like they won't make enough money on. I tried to get some VF500's for part bikes, and all disappeared before the end. The one we got was much worse than described and pictured.

I've noticed some dates on a few bikes changed. That means they play games, and I'll just do something else. Thanks for all the advise.

I'm an agent. Yes, there are restrictions as to how physical damage is (or is not) available on a salvaged title machine. That site that I've been looking at looks like they intentionally take pictures that make the damage more than difficult to determine. They provide a huge list of "inspectors" for hire to examine the bike.

I'm running away from this big idea I had about getting a "cheap" bike. (Their words, not mine).

I'll put money into my current stable and buy something else in 18 months, or so.

Thank you, Switchblade. My GF thinks I have enough bikes, but my friend told her there is a logical formula to determine how many bikes one should own, and it is a very simple one. The formula is N + 1 (with N representing the numbers of bikes currently owned).

My GF is Cuban and she's all "Ay Dios Mio, so you weel alwaysssssss beeee buy-eeeng motor-cyyyyyyycles? We sooooon weel not haaafffffffffffff room."

And so it goes.

• Member Contributer

Thank you, Switchblade. My GF thinks I have enough bikes, but my friend told her there is a logical formula to determine how many bikes one should own, and it is a very simple one. The formula is N + 1 (with N representing the numbers of bikes currently owned).

My GF is Cuban and she's all "Ay Dios Mio, so you weel alwaysssssss beeee buy-eeeng motor-cyyyyyyycles? We sooooon weel not haaafffffffffffff room."

And so it goes.

Excellent !

• Member Contributer

I've been looking for a crashed/salvaged 6th gen VFR to build a track bike with. I haven't been able to find much around the Wisconsin area yet. I'm sick of running a Suzuki at the track. So far I've hated my GSXR.

• Member Contributer

I'm looking to build a 6th gen with a 5th gen motor. I already have a complete motor and ECU in the garage. I was planning on putting on some better forks and possibly a CBR swing arm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Paul, what are you looking for in a VFR track pig?

I'm about to change my track pig to a street bike to sell.

BR

Anything happen with this? A VFR Track Ho needs to make it's way to Knoxville...

So is there a good place to get salvaged VFRs?

Do you have any connections with a Salvage year? You could ask a auto yard if they would bid on/buy a bike for you at the Ins Auctions.

Or any car dealers you might know who might hook you up.

It's obviously best to check out the bikes first hand at the auctions, but hard to do w/o a connection.

BR

Archived