Put on Delkevic 9" Stainless exhaust kit and a boosterplug, ran it about 500 miles then next day started to ride and the bike started a erratic missing like fuel starvation or something, I went home and been trying to figure out what is wrong I noticed little red fireballs blowing out the exhaust onto the ground when the pieces cooled I observed the metal and found its the cat blowing appart and little pieces. Im not sure if this would make the bike run horrible. Things Ive done 93 octane fuel, delkevic exhaust from cat to rear without the baffles manufacturer said theyve no problems and requires no extra tuning, I added the boosterplug to adjust air and fuel to help smooth out. Anyone ever experience this problem? 2002 Honda VFR800FI ABS VTEC Interceptor. HELP>

• Member Contributer

Too much is being introduced and igniting inside the cat.

I would shut it down until I sorted the fueling issues.

I would also not burn 93 octane in a low compression engine such as the VFR800 as it does nothing except ignite an additional $0.50 per gallon. The engine is tuned to run on regular pump gas.

The Delkevic exhaust will run properly on stock fueling. Remove this boesterplug thing. You may have to remove your exhaust now and see how much addtional platinum can be shaken from the cat...it may require a full gut.

Sounds like it only took 500 miles to destroy the cat...I wonder how much longer running like that until the exhaust valves are fully covered in carbon.

Crappy 'Boosterplug' is making it way over rich, you've got far too much fuel entering the cat. The damage is pretty much already done, you'll need a new cat. And disconnect that piece of junk resistor immediately and get a Power Commander.

Crappy 'Boosterplug' is making it way over rich, you've got far too much fuel entering the cat. The damage is pretty much already done, you'll need a new cat. And disconnect that piece of junk resistor immediately and get a Power Commander.

Thanks! De gutted the cat took out boosterplug and changed fuel, still having erratic idle and wanting to die, tried a small test ride thottle bogs down like not firing on all cylinders??? Will look into more soon

• Member Contributer

Pull a plug wire from the spark plug one at a time and see if you can tell a change in idle on ALL cylinders.

It may have fouled a plug already since it has destroyed the cat.

If you notice no change with one of the plug wires off...that plug is doing no work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Catless Delkevic header and downpipes installed, yes the cat had large hole in it, new plugs too, still same crappy poof poof poof like something is wrong any ideas where to look acts like its not firing correctly

you got the flanges seated properly in the head? did you do a leak test before dressing the bike up again? start the bike and run your hand around every join in the pipe (from heads to collector to midpipe0 see if you can feel any warm air coming form the joins.

If your airbox seated properly?

A video would be a big help . . .

Its not much but here is what I have... Fuel injectors are spraying properly from what I can tell, new plugs, new complete headers and downpipes catless delkevic, new air filter, boggs down like not firing all the fuel or bogging when throttling then if you hold long enough open it all of a sudden takes off as normal???

Its not much but here is what I have... Fuel injectors are spraying properly from what I can tell, new plugs, new complete headers and downpipes catless delkevic, new air filter, boggs down like not firing all the fuel or bogging when throttling then if you hold long enough open it all of a sudden takes off as normal???

It said I am not permitted to upload my file when trying to send you a video

you got the flanges seated properly in the head? did you do a leak test before dressing the bike up again? start the bike and run your hand around every join in the pipe (from heads to collector to midpipe0 see if you can feel any warm air coming form the joins.

airbox seated properly, new plugs, injectors seem to be spraying fine

I would also not burn 93 octane in a low compression engine such as the VFR800 as it does nothing except ignite an additional $0.50 per gallon. The engine is tuned to run on regular pump gas.

The Delkevic exhaust will run properly on stock fueling. Remove this boesterplug thing. You may have to remove your exhaust now and see how much addtional platinum can be shaken from the cat...it may require a full gut.

Sounds like it only took 500 miles to destroy the cat...I wonder how much longer running like that until the exhaust valves are fully covered in carbon.

Replaced exhaust with delkevic headers and downpipes catless, new plugs irridium, new air filter, injectors spraying fine, just ordered new coil packs will try those next. Battery tested ok, electrical connections are good nothing burned ... Seems to be not igniting correctly sounds that way so after all Ive done so far it is not the boosterplug nor is it exhaust its a non burning of fuel problem, so hoping coil packs will help. Any suggestions been trying to do everything everyones asking so far nothing same spot!

I cant seem to format one correctly for this sight sorry been trying... I really think it is a igniting of fuel issue doesnt seem to be igniting correct, also rpm erratic??? I did order coil packs will be here thursday so maybe this might help.

• Member Contributer

Pull a plug wire from the spark plug one at a time and see if you can tell a change in idle on ALL cylinders.

Wouldn't you be shocked by doing this?

• Member Contributer

Replaced exhaust with delkevic headers and downpipes catless, new plugs irridium, new air filter, injectors spraying fine, just ordered new coil packs will try those next. Battery tested ok, electrical connections are good nothing burned ... Seems to be not igniting correctly sounds that way so after all Ive done so far it is not the boosterplug nor is it exhaust its a non burning of fuel problem, so hoping coil packs will help. Any suggestions been trying to do everything everyones asking so far nothing same spot!

I cant seem to format one correctly for this sight sorry been trying... I really think it is a igniting of fuel issue doesnt seem to be igniting correct, also rpm erratic??? I did order coil packs will be here thursday so maybe this might help.

When did the bike last run properly?

What did you change on it prior to it starting to not run properly?

While it is possible that something (like a coil) has failed at suspiciously coincidental time I would begin my trouble shooting with things that I changed prior to the bike starting to ingest its' cat.

While it is possible that something (like a coil) has failed at suspiciously coincidental time I would begin my trouble shooting with things that I changed prior to the bike starting to ingest its' cat.

Went on a long ride, ran great! A couple days went by and went to ride got up the road a little ways couple miles and it started running bad, went home and been trying to fix everything since. I had the boosterplug on for about 500 miles prior to mishap, I did up the octane in fuel but have done this several times prior without any issue. I removed the boosterplug since, have added a complete new exhaust system with 02 eliminators, and now trying new coil packs once they arrive this week. Will continue looking for burned or broken wiring in harness but so far nothing. Bike has not seen but sprinkles of rain never abused so I really suspect its something electrical at this point. I want to get it running and then put on the power commander III usb. I think it should run correctly if problem is found then I will continue to go all out with more stuff. Right now is set up bone stock with Delkevic exhaust headers downpipes and 9" slip ons hoping by thursday will recieve coils...

Ok changed the coils still fuel issue??? Checked battery 13.4, any other suggestions?

Changed Coils and still same issue fuel and firing???Any suggestions next? Ive been up and down wiring all looks great bike never gets a sprinkle of rain either???

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

It looks like leatherface has not signed in since June 23rd. Maybe he is watching this but in any case hopefully he has it all sorted out.

Lint - Wow, that beast looks serious!

Archived