So, Onto The New Vfr...

I have acquired a new to me 2007 VFR 800A. I have a 2002 as well. I am Extremely familiar with the '02 but only have the general info, from on here, about the later VFR's. Aside from the ABS and the lower VTEC kick in, what else should I know? What else has Honda added, refined or changed? I read in a post about Honda fixing the charging system to some degree, to what degree? Things like that. I'd really appreciate the input, suggestions, comments and opinions as I make this new VFR mine over the coming days...

Thanks to All in Advance.

In addition to the differences you already mentioned, you also have the clear turn signals, silver ring on the tach face, body color panel between the headlights (instead of black), lower gradient tint on windscreen, silver master cylinders, and satin finish treatment on exhaust. Not sure about the specifics on the charging system improvements, but there was something done. ABS was always an option from 2002 on.

For future reference, a great resource for info on just about any bike ever made is www.totalmotorcycle.com . Here's the page for your 2007... http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2007models/2007models-Honda-InterceptorABSVFR800FIABS.htm

Any time I hear about a new bike, that's the first place I go to learn about it.

Anyway, have fun with the new ride. I really enjoyed my time with my candy red 07 before trading it for the new 2014, which I also love.

• Member Contributer

You'll love your '07. See it's the RWB, which is really cool. I love all Viffers, but along with a few select others, these really are neat. Select others = 93 White,4th gens, 5th gens and 6th gen anniversaries. The new 8th gen is also achingly sweet. Heck, basically all of them. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

A minor differnce on ABS models, the pulser ring (as Honda calls it) attached to the front rotor which generates the signal for the ABS unit changed to a different style in 2006. I've never seen anything that indicated that there was any change or refinement to the ABS system - or any reason given for the change.

So, 2 days into the full substitution for the '02, sold this morning. Long Live The '02! I am totally digging the '07. My question to later model owners: Do I need the VFRness? I have one lined up, but... Having dealt with the stator BBQ once, I'd like to avoid it a second time. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I have the same bike. Never given the OEM 'lectrics a second thought, or had an issue. 25k now. It's still OEM in regard to stator, wiring, etc. I have no plans to mess with it.

Don't let this lull you into a false sense of security. The VFR is known to eat R/Rs and Stators and many times this comes at the most inopportune time! Every oil change and before every lengthy trip I do the "drill" and/or at a minimum check the electrical connections for corrosion and for any hints that something is going to fail. An ounce of prevention and all that...

BTW, I am also on the stock R/R and Stator and at 36k, so right about now I am at or least approaching that potential Stator "baking" point!

I had an R/R go out in my 4th gen when I was riding home from work one day when I lived in Miami. It sputtered and bucked while on the freeway, so I geared down, found more power in the lower gears, and limped it home. Changed it out. No issues since. I'm not saying mine on the 800 is foolproof and won't have issues. I just prefer to fix stuff when it breaks, usually not before, and after I've gotten my full use out of it.

• Member Contributer

So, 2 days into the full substitution for the '02, sold this morning. Long Live The '02! I am totally digging the '07. My question to later model owners: Do I need the VFRness? I have one lined up, but... Having dealt with the stator BBQ once, I'd like to avoid it a second time. Thoughts?

I would not do the VFRness on the 07.

Owned both 03 and 08. The biggest difference is the fuel tanks, on my anyways, the 03 could be filled to the bream easy but the 08 has a different internal design in the gas and can not be easy filled . On mine anyway, I would be interested if the 07 is different then then your old 02 when refueling.

• Member Contributer

I put a VFRness on my '08 I suppose as insurance, but probably as good or better route is to do regular inspections and treat the connectors with some Oxgard to keep the electrons flowing and the resistance in the circuits down.

Archived