I Have Issues (With The Bike This Time)

Lint

Ok, 05 VFR. 31+K miles. No valve check, ridden locally, long distance, and one track day. I typically run in the 4-6K rpm range and I have gotten on it a lot at the track, but usually not too much on streets, save passing someone or on an on ramp. Even on the canyons I don't rev it out because right now I have better/smoother control in the 8-10K range, or I keep it below VTEC engagement, which is usually more the case as a lot of them here are pretty tight. Oil is usually changed every 4-6K, but on my trip to Nashville from SoCal last year, I ran it to about 7K, Shell Rotella T6, BOSCH or PureOne filters and I have used WIX as well, all the larger size. I have never noticed my bike to be using oil.. I have removed the pair valve, plugged the hoses and the port going into the airbox. I have the flapper connected, the snorkel removed simply because I enjoy the sound. I about 15K on the chain and I typically lube it between 3-500 miles. Coolant changed last year to Prestone after a flush. I have run this oil after the track day, maybe about 2K - 3K on it total.

My issues:

1. Almost total dead spot around 4500 rpm at light throttle. Really annoying, I twist the throttle and nothing happens until I turn it to a certain point, then it goes. Sometimes it almost seemed stalled, but it was running. There is a strong hit when it does finally give it fuel. The PAIR valve removal seemed to reduce the directly off idle hit that was ridiculous when I first got the bike. I've noticed no difference with or without the flapper disconnected. I have done the starter valves twice thus far in the 25K miles I have owned it. Not against doing them again, but which procedure should I follow? I've seen a couple different opinions, MAF connected/not connected etc.

2. Vibration/loose chain sound in engine when revving out of gear/clutch pulled in. Seriously sounds like the cam chain is loose, but I am stumped at whether it is the front or the back. There is also a ticking/clicking sound at light throttle underway when the engine is cold. I listened to my engine running cold yesterday and the chain noise seems to be coming from the rear. If this is a bad tensioner lifter, then how can I determine this from looking at the lifter after I remove it from the engine? I can get one from www.honda4u.com with the gasket and shipping for $94 and everyone else is about there in price, so I don't want to buy something without needing it. If it's related, my idle goes up and down about 200-300 rpm just running out of gear. My vibration has definitely increased. I'm going to change the oil. Which hole in the gasket do I enlarge? I am friends with Duccmann and his lower mileage 02 sounds smoother than mine. I've never ridden his to compare tho.

3. Clutch is noisy when released in or out of gear. Also, a definite increase in vibration, possibly more than when I bought it a few years ago. This may be normal and I may be imagining things. Over the past 25K miles, I have noticed that my clutch fluid level has dropped, albeit very slowly.

4. Chain has a knocking sound when in gear on center stand. I have a couple of tight links, but they aren't very bad at all. There is also a fine metallic powder on the chain after my last trip of about 300 miles, but this may be totally normal, as I need to clean/lube it. That is a lot of metal rubbing on metal. The chain is actually on the loose side right now and when I pull on the chain on the rear sprocket, it lifts maybe an 1/8 inch. Sprockets look good. Maybe the RK chain is just going.

EDIT: Occasionally and with no discernible pattern, when I am starting it, the starter will turn over, stop turning and then turn and the bike will fire up. Again I am not able to find a pattern to this. It starts normally a LOT more than it doesn't. The battery is old, but it is run at least once every couple of days and the shortest trip would be about 7 miles, typically much more. When it starts, it spins the starter up easily and it starts up usually no later than 2-3 seconds of cranking.

Advice appreciated along with items to check. At this time due to a death in the family, I can't afford to just drop big coin on it. I'd like to do as much myself as I can. TIA

My biggest issue with my 03 was the dead spot. A pciii was the answer. Tight links in a chain will also cause vibration. Neither of those fixes is small coin but sounds like they are needed.

• Member Contributer

I would think pciii with Cozye's map. Worked for my 2003. You can customize the map if you have a different exhaust than stock.

And take out loose in throttle cable. Clean all filters and overall tune up. Wax unit if needed may need to be adjusted. Not sure about other issues sorry.

I would try a new chain and sprocket on it.

Sorry about your loss.

Good luck.

C

• Member Contributer

If the chain is the original (RK was the OEM on mine) it's definitely time for a new one. It also sounds like it would be good to have the battery load tested. There could be some high resistance someplace in the starter circuit - go over the connectors, fuses and grounds to be sure all's good.

I have a couple of tight links, but they aren't very bad at all. There is also a fine metallic powder on the chain after my last trip of about 300 miles, but this may be totally normal, as I need to clean/lube it.

Sounds about normal, for a chain and sprocket set that is on the way out. :wink:

Inspect, clean, lube, maybe it will be OK for a while more.

Sorry about the family member, RIP. :sleep:

• Member Contributer

Agreed on the chain, I had this same problem on mine with a tight link... go new and don't look back :) ...consider a 520 conversion and gearing options (I'm -1+2, its great)

Flat spot, yes get a Power Commander (I have the "V" on my '02 and its made a world of difference)

As for the starter, check your starter relay... why? because eventually most of us find this:

post-25792-0-77085200-1431509880.jpg

I seem to only get about 18k-20k miles out of a chain on my bike. I am probably not the best on cleaning and lubing though. I might be able to push it to 25k miles, but that is one thing I don't want to fail while riding. Not worth the risk of cracking a case or doing other damage to the bike or myself. My VTR with a Scottoiler got almost 40k miles out of it.

Agreed on the chain, I had this same problem on mine with a tight link... go new and don't look back :) ...consider a 520 conversion and gearing options (I'm -1+2, its great)

Flat spot, yes get a Power Commander (I have the "V" on my '02 and its made a world of difference)

As for the starter, check your starter relay... why? because eventually most of us find this:

IMG_20150503_105212.jpg

Which side of the bike is this on?

• Member Contributer

IMG_20150503_105212.jpg

Which side of the bike is this on?

Under the seat by the battery .

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so maybe I got bad gas or something. I lubed the heck out of the chain and let it sit all night, to drip dry, so to speak. I ran up in the canyons last weekend and it ran fine. Some low rpm/light throttle fueling problems so I think it's time to lift the tank. Other than that, it does seem to be running better. I may run a heavy does of Red Line F.I. cleaner through it, it's the only thing I've tried out of MANY that actually feels like it does something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK, so maybe I got bad gas or something. I lubed the heck out of the chain and let it sit all night, to drip dry, so to speak. I ran up in the canyons last weekend and it ran fine. Some low rpm/light throttle fueling problems so I think it's time to lift the tank. Other than that, it does seem to be running better. I may run a heavy does of Red Line F.I. cleaner through it, it's the only thing I've tried out of MANY that actually feels like it does something.

Hey Lint bike still ok ?

Roll On ..

Yeah, it's still running. I had some sorta leak, that I thought was oil, so I took off the fairings and cleaned it up a bunch. I then took contact cleaner to all the electrical connections I could find. That seemed to help. The only issue I am facing now is a vibration that seems to be getting worse and it's most noticeable when I am at partial throttle in VTEC. WOT doesn't seem different. I also have a ticking sound most pronounced when the engine is cold. I'm thing CCTs. Can they cause vibration if they are bad?

Hi Lint.

I experienced a bad vibration before, the higher the rev's the worse it got, it was so bad i had to throttle back to cruise.

On inspection i found that the vacuum tube on the cyl head cover on the rear bank had come off. Replaced it and the bike ran fine, i am not saying this is your problem but would be a good idea to check all vacuum hoses big and small that they are in good order.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it's still running. I had some sorta leak, that I thought was oil, so I took off the fairings and cleaned it up a bunch. I then took contact cleaner to all the electrical connections I could find. That seemed to help. The only issue I am facing now is a vibration that seems to be getting worse and it's most noticeable when I am at partial throttle in VTEC. WOT doesn't seem different. I also have a ticking sound most pronounced when the engine is cold. I'm thing CCTs. Can they cause vibration if they are bad?

It could be the CCT, there easy to change .

Roll On ..

Archived