Vfr1200 - Early Learning

Skids

• Member Contributer

First wash of my new 1200 since I bought her. Wow.....a lot harder and more effort to clean than either of my other 2 VFRs. There are so many nooks & crannies to not only clean out but then dry afterwards. A whole new washing routine which I will have to get used to.

One question:

How do you clean/dry inside those little spaces between the front fairing and the screen, as in the photos below? It's been sunny today and you can see that the water has dried and formed rings. Normally I use a chamois leather to stop this but I can't get anything inside there to dry it. I even tried using the blow function of our garden leaf blower to try to blow the water out but that didn't work either. Was also wondering if any of the aftermarket screen makes this easier?

P1000827_zps8tj25xaq.jpg

P1000828_zpshhhxpj44.jpg

Does anyone have any other tips to make cleaning/polishing the beast any easier?

I remember reading on here that someone blew them out with compressed air.

I personally use a towel on the end of a screwdriver -- thought I've always wanted to cut out those sections and see how the air would flow.

• Member Contributer

I have one of these that are purpose made to dry cars and bikes. Sort of like a vacuum cleaner that runs backwards - it filters the air so there's no debris hitting the surfaces and is also heated so it helps the water evaporate quickly. It will get water out of all sorts of places you didn't know it collects on the bike. Works great. They can be found for about $160 shipped on ebay or Amazon. Search on "Metro Blaster". There's also a smaller hand held version that's about $70. It helps when it's a Christmas gift . . . :biggrin:

metro-airforce-blaster.jpg

You might try a spray bottle with distilled water to rinse clear parts, no minerals, plus a little wetting agent like for dishwashers to avoid spots, then buy a can of compressed air at you your local computer store.

I blow compressed air over my whole bike after washing, expecially the brakes and the engine where little pools of water might collect. Can't get those two little pockets under the screen spotless, but usually clean enough for me.

i use my air compressor, since i installed the Zero Gravity shield in Dark Smoke you can't see it any more but i still always blow dry the whole bike

• Member Contributer

You might try a spray bottle with distilled water to rinse clear parts, no minerals, plus a little wetting agent like for dishwashers to avoid spots, then buy a can of compressed air at you your local computer store.

I like that idea.

Maybe I need to buy a small compressor; it would help with maintaining tyre pressure too, rather than the small, bike-powered one I use now.

I have one of these that are purpose made to dry cars and bikes. Sort of like a vacuum cleaner that runs backwards - it filters the air so there's no debris hitting the surfaces and is also heated so it helps the water evaporate quickly. It will get water out of all sorts of places you didn't know it collects on the bike. Works great. They can be found for about $160 shipped on ebay or Amazon. Search on "Metro Blaster". There's also a smaller hand held version that's about $70. It helps when it's a Christmas gift . . . :biggrin:

metro-airforce-blaster.jpg

Unfortunately over £200 in the UK.

• Member Contributer

I usually only wash the bikes after I get caught in the rain... and then it's really only a wipe down. I'm all for the ride it don't wash it team, but with this bike I have wiped it down more than the two times I was caught in crappy weather...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well thanks to all the advice on here and on a recommendation from a fellow 1200 owner not on here (yet), I bought one of these off ebay for about £60/US$90.

Washed the bike this afternoon and it did a brilliant job of clearing the water out of the numerous nooks & crannies on the 1200.

Recommended!

IMAG02781_zpsszqe41g7.jpg

Archived