Ride Height Lowering, Rc 36 Ii - Help

Hi guys,

I have been reading some posts around here, still I couldn`t understand if I can lower my 96` ride hight or not.

At the moment is kind of high, I guess...and I have a hard time pushing my bike around. (even tho I`m a tall guy, 1.80 cm)

Beside using a lowering kit, can the rear shock be ajusted? If so, how? there isn`t much info in the manual.

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

The stock shock cannot be adjusted for ride height, only preload. There are few tricks to what you want to do, one is to trim the seat down a bit. The others involve different suspension components or modifying the existing components. One trick that works on later model VFRs is to rotate the "triangle" of the rear suspension, or change the shock for one slightly shorter. Both of these will change the ride height and rake/trail geometry unless you lower the front (raise the fork tubes in the triple clamp) to compensate for the difference.

If you're not sure or confident that rotating the triangle is going to work, Lust Racing makes lowering kits but also be advised you might have to cut down your side stand once you've lowered your bike. Here's a link: www.lustracing.com

• Member Contributer

How long have you been riding? At 180 (same as me) you should be fine--unless you've got really short legs! My VFR750 has had its rear height increased by 30-40mm, and I don't find it too difficult to handle around the garage, etc. But VFRs are fairly top-heavy bikes, it's true.

Ciao,

How long have you been riding? At 180 (same as me) you should be fine--unless you've got really short legs! My VFR750 has had its rear height increased by 30-40mm, and I don't find it too difficult to handle around the garage, etc. But VFRs are fairly top-heavy bikes, it's true.

Ciao,

Hi there!

I have my 96` VFR for 3 years now and I love it, I also have in my garage a 93 VFR (heavier bike) and I have no problems moving around!

My legs a kind of long, even so with my boots on I still have a hard time pushing it. RC 36 I is about 3-4 cm lower.

Now I wonder, is there such a difference in hight between RC 36 I and RC 36 II?

• Member Contributer

At 180 you should be ok but different strokes and all that

Thurn Germany sell these

99-UH0044.JPG

tail lowering, reducing seat height about 35mm at middle of wheel, pair
shortening of sidestand necessary
reference: lower fork (tubes through yoke) 10mm

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/fahrwerk-rc36.html

Do some deadlifts, squats and standing press. You'll have no issues pushing a bike around a garage anymore and you'll be all the better physically for it ;)

• Member Contributer

I've noticed that my 94 feels more top heavy than my 98 when pushing it around despite the fact that it's lighter.

Another technique you can use when pushing the bike backwards is to leave it in gear, and use your L hand on the clutch lever as a brake. R hand on the seat for pushing. Be careful at first that you don't push the bike over to the R past the tipping point as you won't be able to catch it if it goes. Better to have it lean slightly toward you so you can use you weight to help balance it.

Maybe I wasn`t clear enough :D I still need to improve my English :P

Is not that I lack the strength to push it around, the problem is that my long legs do not touch the ground well while on the bike.

My RC 36 II is abour 3-4 cm higher then my RC 36 I, is that normal?

• Member Contributer

I don't think so, but I've never owned an RC36-II. Do they both lean over the same amount on the sidestand? When I "flipped the eccentric" on my RC36-I I also had to extend the side-stand and centre stand by 35-40mm. Someone hasn't done that to your bike, have they? (It means the hub carrier has been rotated 180-degrees so that the axle is in the lower half of the arc, whereas it is in the top half of the arc on a normal bike.)

Ciao,

Already did, need to find out if my triangles are stock or not, if not stock, gonna receplace them!

I can see u have a VFR just like mine, how do u enjoy it? :D

Best mc ever. I am 61 years old, maybe a chopper would be better, but no, I love my VFR :)

In my lowering pdf file you can se the dimension of the triangle. Tomorrow I will measure the original triangle. I is late night now here in Denmark. Then I will post it here. What time is it at your place. Here it is 9.41pm

My seat height is 75cm, the triangle lower the bike 3.5cm and I have cut Out some frome? From the seat.

But could you post pictures of your triangle, some VFR model have very small triangle. If so? you cannot use my pdf file. It is for a 1997 model.

Hey, I`m back!

I have Uploaded some pictures.

I have measured the bike while on sidestand, from one side and the other, this is what i got:

http://s22.postimg.org/x2bntrf69/unnamed_3.jpg

http://postimg.org/image/px7ew5bb3/

http://postimg.org/image/9ftlwqpof/

@Friis I`m from Romania, 27 years old, time is GMT+2 here.

P.S I love my VFR too, never gona sell it :D

Update:

Bike on sidestand, measuring from the right side: 75 cm (29.528in)

measuring from the left side: 66 cm (26in)

Archived