What Kind Of Gloves Do You Use When Working On A Hot Motor?

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

I do my own oil changes and, no matter how careful I am, some part of my hand invariably makes contact with the (hot) headers. It's almost time for an oil change and so I stopped by an auto parts store today to pick up some Mechanix brand gloves. They carry four different kinds and since neither the sales person nor I knew what differentiated them (in terms of functionality), I decided to put off my purchase until I did further research. When I got home I went to Mechanix's web site and noticed they've got (what seems like) 100 different types of gloves.

What do you use?

I do my own oil changes and, no matter how careful I am, some part of my hand invariably makes contact with the (hot) headers. It's almost time for an oil change and so I stopped by an auto parts store today to pick up some Mechanix brand gloves. They carry four different kinds and since neither the sales person nor I knew what differentiated them (in terms of functionality), I decided to put off my purchase until I did further research. When I got home I went to Mechanix's web site and noticed they've got (what seems like) 100 different types of gloves.

What do you use?

I guess you could let the engine cool a bit before touching the hot parts. This would most likely solve your problem.

• Member Contributer

Padded gel palms is what I use mechanix brand ,provides protection for hot things as well as comfort when using air tools .

Concur with Tamworth but what I do is a little different. I ride and get everything hot. Pull into the garage and put it on the center stand. Pull the left panel (3-4 minutes) then pop the drain plug out and let it drain. I normally wait until the oil is dipping pretty slow. Re-intsall the plug and then the filter. By this time the headers are cold to the touch. Haven't burned myself yet. And I typically use latex gloves, makes clean up so much easier.

• Member Contributer

I realize I could let the bike cool down after the draining the oil, but since I don't have a garage, I typically do it in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I've never had a property manager say anything to me, but that's probably because I get the job done quickly and don't make a mess.

It's not uncommon for Techs (at dealerships) to sometimes do oil changes on hot bikes, so I'm sure they're using gloves (at least on bikes like ours where the oil filter is behind the headers).

• Member Contributer

If you're really worried about it, there are some professional kitchen (oven) gloves that look like they have good dexterity and are also well protected up to the forearm/elbow. I only know this because a professional kitchen supplier keeps sending me catalogs! I've told them a couple of times to stop sending them but never got taken off the list.

Archived