5Th Gen Fork Spacer Length

keny

So, how long is the spacer sitting on top of the stock spring on a 5th gen? Mine is a 2000 model if that matters.

I did cut mine when I did put the F3 interials in, but cant recall what the length was before?

• Member Contributer

In the 5th gen 100 mm

In the 6th gen 50 mm

Hmm, according to the Honda parts list at Partzilla.com (Honda 51402-MV8-901 COLLAR, SPRING), it is the same spacer used on my 6 Gen. I have one out in the garage I can go and measure it just to be sure. Probably be around my lunch time (12:00 PST)

I swear the 6th is 50mm.

I am going by memory and it is Further Back in Time since I had the 5th gen. Maybe I should have put up a disclaimer.

If it's the same reference number, they've both gotta be 50mm... my apologies.

• Member Contributer

Just measured the one I have in the garage (Honda 51402-MV8-901 COLLAR, SPRING) it's 100MM

Didn't want to wait until lunch time, but maybe my disclaimer is that I'm using the parts finch as my way of determining that the two parts are identical.

Oh sweet jeezuz... so I was right about the 5th... what bugs me is that I have a written reference in the Spanish forum I moderate stating the 6th gen's spacer as being 50mm... measured by a very reliable individual... hmmmm... does not compute!!

Edit: I've just read another who measured his on a 1998 5th gen and got 50mm... but I had a '98er and it definitely had 100mm spacers.

Hey Duc... mate... I'm really surprised it's the same part number from the 5th to the 6th gen... my apologies to the OP if we are slightly off topic...

The 5th gen's forks are 39mm

The 6th gen's forks are 41mm

Am I wrong?... so it would seem odd to me that they ould have the same diameter spacers and springs and such... although it's not imposible.

I just checked Service Honda's fiche and get a different part number from one Gen to the other:

The 5th gen's spacers: 51402-MS2-003

The 6th gen's spacers: 51402-MV8-901

I know I really like that German Brand of beer.... what was it called?? Oh yeah, Alzheimer's... but I would and did swear they're not the same!!

Sorry again to the OP for all this... better to err on the side of caution.

... and I just discovered Partzilla does list them as different as well... and much to my delight, I see they have a fantastic parts compatibility list which comes up on the reference number and lists all the bikes the part is common to...

Ud59cvB.jpg

• Member Contributer

The 5th gen's forks are 39mm

The 6th gen's forks are 41mm

Am I wrong?...

Yes you are. 5th gen forks are 41mm & 6th gens are 43mm.

The spacer diameter is determined by the inner diameter of the fork tube, but that varies depending on the wall thickness of the tube the fork is made from. 41mm forks can be stronger than 43mm if they have thicker wall, but weight for weight the larger diameter will, be stiffer, assuming similar wall thickness ratios. I've never compared them though.

• Member Contributer

... and I just discovered Partzilla does list them as different as well... and much to my delight, I see they have a fantastic parts compatibility list which comes up on the reference number and lists all the bikes the part is common to...

Ud59cvB.jpg

Weird, I must have punched in the wrong year! I swore I put in the OP's year 2000. My bad, that's why I put the part number in there! Oh yeah, and always put in a disclaimer! :wink:

Well we answered the OP's query first shot!! That's what counts right??

The other day a mate suddenly exclaimed to me "Look a dead penguin!!" and I looked up at the sky and said "Where?"

• Member Contributer

Well we answered the OP's query first shot!! That's what counts right??

The other day a mate suddenly exclaimed to me "Look a dead penguin!!" and I looked up at the sky and said "Where?"

LOL! I had one similar. While sitting at a beach side cafe nearing sunset, a patron said "Look, the Sun's coming back up!" and everyone in the cafe turned and looked.

• Member Contributer

Or even before that, if your geared-up weight doesn't quite equate with a 100lb Japanese testing dude wearing perforated leathers...

But certainly, if you're messing around with the suspension you should be fitting aftermarket springs anyway, and that always requires re-sizing the spacers to suit your riding weight--not an OEM length that may not have been appropriate even with the OEM springs!

Ciao,

Thanks for the info. Was just thinking of making a set of spacers so I could put the bike back to stock and take out the F3 internals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

On my 99 I had 49mm spacers as stock. If you're using F3 internals I'm guessing these have adjustable rebound same as a VTR1000. I recently installed VTR internals and the fork cap length was (if I remember correctly) about 25mm longer than the VFR's, so the preload spacer needs to be shorter by the same amount. The picture shows the VFR at top and VTR at the bottom.

post-22267-0-09891900-1422848605.jpg

Archived