Just Bought A Vfr 1200

RogueWave

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while and I am impressed with the knowledge people have here regarding the VFR as well as bikes in general.

I recently purchased a 2010 VFR 1200. It has 3,400 miles on it and cost $9K. I bought it because of my familiarity with Honda bikes, I previously owned a 93' Nighthawk 750 and a 96' VFR 750.

I also bought it because of the automatic transmission. I want to enjoy riding without having to think about changing gears.

Although I have six years of experience riding, I have not been on a bike since 2002. My last memory riding was me flying over the handlebars because a women was looking somewhere other than where she was going.

When my bike was delivered, I had to ride it about 100 feet to my garage. I got on it and felt very uncomfortable. I put it in gear and then...nothing. It didn't move. I gave it a bit of gas and it wanted to take off like a racehorse in a starting gate. So I resisted the urge to use the brake and let off the gas and it started to coast. Very strange for a bike, certainly not how I remember. This all tells me I best retake the riding course I took in 96' before attempting to ride such a large, powerful bike. My Nighthawk has 65 hp. and the Interceptor has 91 hp. So I have a lot of respect for such a large machine. I am definitely not ready to take it out just yet.

If anyone wants to share with me some tips on how to handle DCT, I would appreciate it.

Cheers :)

The DCT takes some getting use to. The throttle response can be very touchy. The throttle must be rolled on. Grip the tank with your knees and isolate your throttle arm. If you don't do this you will be riding a bucking bronc. It sounds like this is the most powerful bike you have ever been on. It is very controllable and powerful. Definitely go to the class again. This bike will put you in panic mode if you don't respect it and acclimate to it. The DCT is doing exactly what it should. It sits there waiting for you to give it gas. When you do, it engages the clutch and just takes off. It operates much LIKE and auto transmission. But it isn't. It is a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch. The dual clutch is just a add on to that. It is very different way of riding a motorcycle. You can adjust quickly. Take it slow. Go to an empty parking lot and practice. Same thing goes for brakes. They also are very powerful. Get some non-threatening practice in before you need it in an emergency. Time is on your side. You do not have to ride it right now. Trust me as you acclimate to it you will find yourself pushing your limits more and more. Be safe. Develop confidence in low stress areas before you mix in traffic. Don't fixate. Learn to corner correctly. Learn your limits (they are temporary as you increase proficiency) and ride your ride. Group rides are not OK at first (unless its with Harleys) they tend to make less experienced rides go stupid. Have fun.

Bill

P.S. Don't blip the throttle in traffic. That is bad unless you are in neutral.

All very sound advice so far, terrific forum so you will have a lot of help. I have owned my DCT for 18 months and the best recommendations I can share is to use your legs and core to unweighted the bars, and second, trail brake ( rear braking) into corners. The front brake is a beast and weights the front end making the heavy bike a challenge to turn at speed. I have found that I can ride the bike on twisties just as aggressively, though safely, as a bike with a clutch. Have fun, take your time, relax and enjoy the road, beware it will be coming at you much more quickly!! Let us know how it goes...

post-27819-0-07581800-1416113091.jpg

I never had a + 100 HP bike before the VFR 1200. Under 5000 RPM it just acts like any other bike, but once you pass the 5000 RPM you enter another league.

My advice is like all the others... practice, practice....

Learn the emergency stop with the DCT! Because you learned it in the past, your brain wants to engage the clutch as well, but you don't have it anymore. You have to learn your brain to avoid a panic reaction (where is the clutch?) in such emergency situations...

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I know this is a powerful bike, so I need to take it slow. I did underestimate my current abilities. I transitioned easily from the NH to the VFR 750, but I had recent experience. The riding course will help. Also, I live in an area with little traffic, so I can take it out for slow speed practice. I first looked at the CTX700N. That is likely a better bike to restart with. But it's so darn ugly, I could not see myself on that warthog.

My congratulations too. Seventy two year old Dynajohn refers to his as a gentleman's bike but added some suspension mods as well as an ECU reflash. I'm 69 and have had mine just over 2 years but haven't redlined it, nor can I really hold on twisting my right hand. When I first got it, I followed the DCT minimum speed shift points. My first add on should have been RG frame sliders because I dropped it doing at least two mph. I've since added mirror extenders and a center stand. Before you add an aftermarket center stand try it first. I believe the OEM is the way to go. Enjoy your ride.

Congrats on your VFR! :smile: Go out and practice smooth take-offs in a big, empty parking lot. I'm sure it's different without a clutch to feather, but I'm also sure you'll quickly learn how to finesse the throttle.

My first grown-up bike was a Kaw. 750 streetbike. My wife followed me home in the car the day I picked it up, and she said my speed fluctuated constantly all the way home. It felt like so much power to me that it was hard to maintain a happy medium open throttle - just so sensitive to input compared to driving a car. After just a couple rides I was much more comfortable, and you will be, too.

• Member Contributer

The fact that you're asking those questions tells me that you'll be fine. The ones that get seem to get in to trouble are the ones that say "nah, I'm good - I don't need no steekin' training". It sounds like you have respect for the machine and awareness of your own capabilities. In addition to other training, you might also find Keith Code's instructional video helpful. I watch it from time to time to refresh my memory (the acting is hokey, but I just skip over it).

Yes, I will hit the Youtube and get riding tips. I know its not the same as the real thing, but a riders brain is the best safety equipment. So every bit of advice is useful.

There are so many little things that can trip you up. And example senario: It rained two days earlier, its Fall so there are piles of leaves on the road. Try to avoid them! The leaves trap moisture underneath and can be slick.

Yes, I will hit the Youtube and get riding tips. I know its not the same as the real thing, but a riders brain is the best safety equipment. So every bit of advice is useful.

There are so many little things that can trip you up. And example senario: It rained two days earlier, its Fall so there are piles of leaves on the road. Try to avoid them! The leaves trap moisture underneath and can be slick.

Wet leaves are like Ice tbh. Theres not much traction to be had there!

Congrats on the bike. Keep us updated on how you get on :).

As said before, you seem to have the right mentality. Youll be fine :)

• Member Contributer

Now spend a few more bucks and ship the ECU to Guhl Motors for a new programming and the bike will amaze you.

I'm sorry, but not a single VFR1200 has a proper programmed ECU.

You will find out soon enough that the bike with default programming has serious surprises when taking hair-pins or roundabouts at low speed.

Else try make an 8-shape small figure, you probably end up dropping the bike.

The bike has an throttle-delay. Most ignore it, but it can make you crash when you don't expect it.

Now spend a few more bucks and ship the ECU to Guhl Motors for a new programming and the bike will amaze you.

You will find out soon enough that the bike with default programming has serious surprises when taking hair-pins or roundabouts at low speed.

The bike has an throttle-delay. Most ignore it, but it can make you crash when you don't expect it.

Just out of interest. (Im a vfr vtec owner at the moment but could see myself taking a step up to the 12)

Is this ecu flash only available in the states?

Do us UK sort have to cope with the standard map?

• Member Contributer

1) To my knowledge Don is the only one that can flash it at this time.

A few others claim they can, but I never found any proof they did succeed.

2) Nope, he can insert any map you like that is compatible with the Powercommander-5

But beware, you can't change the map yourself afterwards, it needs to be reflashed if you want to change it.

If you want to change it often then it's best to add a PC-V.

What kind of programming are you referring to?

Archived