Cheap Parts

Lint

Looks like I have to replace the cam chain tensioners on my 05. Grr, only 27K miles too. I know it's a weak link, but it pisses me off. Right now I am looking at nearly $200 for just the tensioners, not including gaskets, oil change etc. My local dealer will do $88 each plus 7.5% tax. Bike Bandit is about $86 and Honda Hollywood is about $87. My engine is vibrating pretty hard and when I rode last night without earplugs I could hear the tell tale sound.

Where do you buy parts from? What options do I have?

Good to know. Ron Ayers has them for $70.40. I will have to compare prices with shipping though, because that's the real price. A lower initial price sometimes means nothing.

• Member Contributer

Mason City Honda supposedly gives VfFRD members a discount. Not sure how much or if there is a special code or person to talk to but worth checking out.

• Member Contributer

Lint, for us less informed riders, what is the tell tale sound for the cct? Is it a rattle on decel? At what rpm?

• Member Contributer

Mason City Honda supposedly gives VfFRD members a discount. Not sure how much or if there is a special code or person to talk to but worth checking out.

I think it's 20%. Talk to Keith, but he's basically the only one who does parts.

MarkDetroit,

I have a rattle sound with a knock feeling. Bike seems to running fine, but it's getting more noticeable. I've stopped riding it for now. It pisses me off because I got rid of my Triumph due to what I thought was an issue and it wasn't. I'm hoping this is the same.

I was told that VFRs were bullet proof, but I guess there's always something. I just have more important things to give$100-$200 to.

I love the bike, so maybe my rant above is due to the timing of this more than it is about the bike. Honestly I am just pissed I don't have the money to just drop it off at Jet Tuning and have the whole thing gone through, valves, brakes suspension etc.

You only need one tensioner, and does not require an oil change and really a new gasket is optional, as its a metal one. What you do need to do, is fiqure out which cylinder bank it is, and really that requires a stethoscope or a long screw driver by ear.

On a side note, its only noise and does not halt forward progress, so do it at your leisure. Don't let a shop sell you 2 new installed tensioners cause they are too stupid to troubleshoot.

Im a fan of Ronayers.com. , I think over $89 its free shipping with a secret code

Archived