Bluetooth Farkles And A Modular Helmet

Guest 53gravely

Guest 53gravely

Need some opinions.

I picked up a 2000 VfR, 16k. It's gotten used hardbags, trunk, new PR4s and brake service. Having been down at 75 mph 'with a tank slapper on my old vf500 it will be getting a steering damper shortly...now on to the gizmos.

I'll preface this with the statement that I like modular helmets. They're noisy and I look like a geek, I know, so your opinion would help me decide which way to go.

My initial leaning is to get a bluetooth headset for the helmet and a hardwire/cradle for the iphone. I can listen to tunes, make calls (not that I want to be reached) and use Google maps or the like for a GPS. The concern for this route is that the modular helmet wind noise will drown out the Bluetooth's speakers at highway speed.

The other option would be to hardwire the Garmin Nuvi from my car (Velcro'd over the speedometer as it shows speed) and just stick the phone in my jacket pocket and use earbuds that will block wind noise. I've done this and while cumbersome to operate while riding, it works and I can hear the music well.

Anybody got a reasonably priced modular that won't drown out their bluetooth?

And no, there's no way in hell I'm spending $800 on a schuberth modular helmet! ;)

• Member Contributer

I've had a Schuberth, a Nolan, and a Shoei Neotec modular.

The Neotec was not as expensive as the Schuberth but still pricey. Kind of like a Cadillac, with a lot of comfortable lining. The Nolan is the cheapest but the loudest.

I use a Sena blutooth headset paired to a Garmin Zumo.

Some people will tell you to buy earbuds rather than in-helmet speakers. I rode with earbuds on a two thousand mile ride and frankly, found that they don't block as much sound as earplugs, they worked themselves out of my ear often, and it made putting on a helmet a chore.

The in-helmet speakers are good but not great.

I ended up buying some Tork aftermarket speakers and soldered them to the Sena speaker cables for better sound and volume. I can ride with earplugs and regulate the sound better this way.

The problem is always going to rear its head at the time when you want music or phone capabilities; on long boring stretches of highway. Unfortunately, you're usually traveling at 70 mph or so and the noise, regardless of the helmet, is going to really impact your ability to hear any type of speaker.

My two cents.

Schuberth had made leaps and bounds improvement on their modular helmets in the last decade and are now known as some of the quietest helmets in the industry. Only thing I did not like with the more recent Schuberths, is their continuing tendency to be a bit heavy and big, but I think the latest models they have had shrunk in both size and weight quite a bit and are definitely worth checking out.....but make sure you budget for them as they are very pricey!.......But aren't all premium helmets these days are anyway??

I can understand getting audio from a gps for nav, but do people really make phone calls while riding? Is this not even more dangerous than using a cell phone while driving? Motorcyclists are often at risk from car drivers on the phone, How does a moto on a phone differ?

I use the scala G9 embedded helmet speaker/mike (Arai), connected via BT to the Zumo, which is in turn connected via BT to my phone.

When I first got this system I would need to crank up the sound quite a bit esp at hwy speeds, and my ears would noticeably ring after a long ride.. pretty sure I was causing myself hearing damage. Then I read a forum thread about the importance of using ear plugs whie riding, and I expected that doing so would impede my audio system... but someone on that thread also suggested they could hear their audio better with ear protection, and sure enough, this very much holds true for me as well. Now I never ride without ear plugs, and enjoy music even if I am traveling at 80+mph.

Btw, it is very nice to be able to call home or have home call me while out on a ride...

• Member Contributer

"Btw, it is very nice to be able to call home or have home call me while out on a ride..." said the Volvo driver as he chatted on his phone, and turned left in front of a bike, not seeing it.

• Member Contributer

In-ear buds (with embedded speakers) don't fall out if you fit them properly and the noise attenuation is very good as long as you fit correctly and get the right sized buds for your ears.

For near-perfect in-helmet comms, then the Sena range of BT units is superb. I've had as set for several years now and it's used daily.

Cradling the iphone to the bike is fine but wont you need to waterproof it? There are suitable bags/cases out there but I don't know how easy it is to use to screen when its inside a case.

You don't need a steering damper on a VFR800.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

+1 on Skids. You do not need a steering damper on a VFR800. But if it gives you piece of mind.....

Better spend the money on your other desire, a modular helmet+BT

Invest time in test fitting helmets; I have been on a moudlar quest for a long time, tried them all and thought I found one that fitted me with the Schuberth C3. It proved not to be.

The SRC BT collar BT and rado reception is sketchy at best.

The shape of my head -after some 30 minutes- disagreed with what Schuberth decided was a proper shape.

My brother has a C3 Pro and had no complaints with reception (the Pro has antenna in the actual helmet shell, the old C3 only in the collar

As for drowning out BT, there are so many variables (your height for one in combination with stock or aftermarket screen and what do you class as -un-acceptable wind noise) that it is impossible to tell you which one to go for.

Car GPS will function, but they are not engineered to withstand moisture and vibration.
Sure you can put your gps inside a waterproof case; that is what my niece did but it shut down after a while because it was overheating.

and lest we forget..............

Where is that picture of your bike??!!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I just got a Schuberth C-3 Pro. It's even quieter than the two C-3 s I've had. And it has two integrated antennas for Schuberth SRC-System bluetooth communications. This hightech helmet has many features. Be sure to check one out. I love mine.

• Member Contributer

I vetted all this over a year ago and went with

Sena SMH10R (Like the low profile instead of the big dick hanging on one side of the helmet)

Shoei RF1200 (I know not a modular, but an outstanding helmet, and has bluetooth speaker cutouts built in. Another option would be GT-Air)

Adaptiv Stem mount with Ram XGrip for the phone.

I use custom molded stereo plugs into a Sena 20S (used to have the SMH10). They are a 30db earplug with the sound right in your ear canal. I can either hook to my Zumo or iPhone to the Sena depending on what I am doing or where I am going. You can get a USB outlet for $20 for phone power and an XGrip to mount it.

Archived