Hi All From Nova Scotia, Canada

holleman14

Hi, new here to the VFR Discussion forum. Just picked up a 2010 VFR1200f a couple of weeks ago. Problem is it has a bad crank. Bearing spun on one of the connecting rods. Bike only has 28000km on it. Still investigating what may have caused the problem. No metal chips present except for the bits of the chewed up bearing.

Oh yeah, Name is Shannon. I also have some other bikes in the stable, including a 2003 VFR800 ABS. Looking to bounce some ideas around as I move forward with the rebuild of this awesome bike.

Here is the bike before it was torn down for assessment.

post-31357-0-41844400-1412206979.jpg

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! You've come to the right place if you're looking for info, lots of it here as well as good people to help as well.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

You picked her up a few weeks ago, no recourse on the seller?

Or did you knew it had a bad crank and bought the bike with some discount coupons from Walmart?? :goofy:

Yeah I knew it had a bad crank when I bought it. The engine was in a box and had been looked at already. No surprises. Price was really good.

• Member Contributer

There was a member from Africa that had a similar issue and was able to get Honda to replace the motor. Probably too late in your case as you're not the original owner and you knowingly bought it, but it was good to hear that Honda did own up to it and came through. Might look for the post as it could have some enlightening info for you. Sorry I don't recall the member's name but I do recall the thread going for a while.

From what I understand, the PO had tried a couple of avenues with dealer and Honda for a resolve with no luck. Oil changes at dealer every 5000km. As I get into the project over the winter, I will keep you posted. I have a couple of ideas of why it may have failed at such low kms. I did see the post (thanks Duc2V4 and Dutchy) that was done by a fellow vfr owner. I did some creeping around before I pulled the trigger on this one. A hand full of Walmart coupons brought it home.

Hey MaxSwell, I've been in for a while. What cell are you in?

• Member Contributer

Welcome and congrats on the new girl! Sorry about your engine trouble. So, what's the plan of attack here? What needs fixing exactly? I'm not a mechanic and not sure what a bad crank entails… Was that the only problem with her??? A 1200 sure must be fun to ride…

C

The connecting rod bearing on the number two cylinder spun. I have measured the crankshaft pin and it comes in undersized (damage) from the rod bearing not staying in place and spinning inside the big end of the rod and removing metal from the crank pin and large end connecting rod bore (bearing insert is finished as well). Also there is damage to large end of the rod as well. I haven't measured it yet but would put money on it that it will need replacing. Once this is repaired/replace, I will get to take it for a drive and let you know how fun it is. For now, my vfr800 will have to do.(and its a blast)

• Member Contributer

Hey MaxSwell, I've been in for a while. What cell are you in?

I'm in the cell labled "Rides much, crashes too much and gets groups lost too much." But knows how to have a good time in spite of it.

I'm just down the hall from you. I can hear your screaming! Can you hear mine?! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the list and good luck with your project.

Despite being a 2nd owner it might still be worth contacting Honda Canada or your local dealer for service bulletins and ask for advice on other items to check whilst the engine is apart.

Archived