Fuel Pump

garyr

Came home from a run and put the bike in the garage. Fuel pump kept going on and off even though key was out of ignition. Opened fuel tank cap and it stopped (not a lot of fuel left in tank) any ideas!!!

Well i just filled up with petrol, and the bike still makes a intermittent noise, open the tank and it stops, would it be the heat from the engine making the tank expand!!!. No evap canisters on UK bikes. Has anyone else noticed if there bike does this!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Had the same as garyr today. Came home from a ride, low fuel in tank and a warm day. Opened the garage to wheel the bike in (Ignition Switch was Off) and definitely heard the fuel pump prime then stop. It did this three times as I pushed the bike into the garage. Haven't notice this ever happening before and the bike has now done 8,500kms. I have a basic drawing of the PGM-FI system and there appears to be no way the Fuel Pump Relay can energize with Ignition to Off. Bit of a mystery, if anyone has the full service manual it may well be explained in Fuel System section 7.

Cheers Grum.

Yes mine does it, its not the fuel pump and we have no evap canister, I think its the tank breather equalising the pressure.

Thinking about it, when you park the bike and the engine is hot, the heat rises and heats up the tank and causes the pressure in the tank to increase and forces some vapour out through the breather, and there may be some restrictor or regulator in there making the noise. Thats my theory anyway, probably crap but it doesn't matter anyway... :) :)

Yes mine does it, its not the fuel pump and we have no evap canister, I think its the tank breather equalising the pressure.

Thinking about it, when you park the bike and the engine is hot, the heat rises and heats up the tank and causes the pressure in the tank to increase and forces some vapour out through the breather, and there may be some restrictor or regulator in there making the noise. Thats my theory anyway, probably crap but it doesn't matter anyway... :) :)

This is exactly what is happening. If you open the cap, it stops making noise, but after a few minutes it will start up again. It's all completely normal and everyone should stop worrying about it :smile2:

• Member Contributer

Certainly not worried about it DriverDave, we know its normal, its just a curiosity thing as my previous VFR's didn't do this. Dogman is probably onto something, the noise I heard certainly sounded like the fuel pump running, but some kind of pressure relief sounds like the answer.

Cheers.

Grum.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I have no idea if this would be related. I've never noticed any noises once the bike is off, but I just had some warranty work done on mine:

After a rain I noticed that there was water pooling under the filler cap. The drain hole wasn't draining. Upon investigation, the diagnosis was that the drain hose was routed incorrectly and once rerouted it now drains nicely.

Hope this helps!

I have no idea if this would be related. I've never noticed any noises once the bike is off, but I just had some warranty work done on mine:

After a rain I noticed that there was water pooling under the filler cap. The drain hole wasn't draining. Upon investigation, the diagnosis was that the drain hose was routed incorrectly and once rerouted it now drains nicely.

Hope this helps!

Yes its easy to forget to re-route the hoses if you take off the left side of the bellypan.

Archived