Bike Wont Start On Gear (With Clutch Pulled And Kickstand Up)

raoufhakam

long story short, like title says its

my '00 VFR800 won't start on gear with clutch pulled and kickstand up

i thought that the VFR would only start on neutral normally, until i found there is a clutch switch and clutch diode that according to service manual are there to permit starting the bike on gear with clutch pulled and kickstand up

-checked clutch lever switch, works fine

-checked/tested clutch diode continuity, works fine

- tried to short the clutch switch wires, still wont start on gear

what else could be the cause of this?

• Member Contributer

I think you've checked the obvious culprits. My only (very obvious but sometimes overlooked) suggestion, is the killswitch in the "Run" position???

• Member Contributer

You need to use the drawing above and chase your wires thru clutch switch to the sidestand switch and to the ECM.

Mite be a broke wire . Clutch switch is 34 I believe.

There is a service manual at the download section .

• Member Contributer

Maybe also separate the connector from the ECM to see if there are any continuity issues. Re-reading the OP, I wasn't clear on whether the sidestand switch also verified good. Both have to function for it to start it gear.

Maybe also separate the connector from the ECM to see if there are any continuity issues. Re-reading the OP, I wasn't clear on whether the sidestand switch also verified good. Both have to function for it to start it gear.

i'm assuming if the side-stand switch isn't functioning properly, the bike would die if i start it in neutral then shift to gear with the kickstand up, right?

p.s. i tried starting it in gear with the clutch pulled with the kickstand down or up, still won't start

• Member Contributer

Yes, good point - I slipped a tooth on that - in gear, clutch in, sidestand down kills the engine. Can't think of anything other than a break in the continuity from the clutch switch to the ECM.

I see that you confirmed that the clutch switch is good, but are you sure that the clutch lever is fully actuating the switch? I recently installed a new aftermarket clutch lever and had the same issue with the bike not starting in gear. Turns out there is a small amount of play between the screw and the hole on the clutch switch that can allow a fully depressed clutch lever to not quite actuate the switch. Try loosening the screw, and physically move the switch closer to the lever, then tighten the screw.

On my North American market 2002 the circuit for starting is: (Gen 5 is the same from my memory of my brother's bike)

To spin the starter motor with the motorcycle in gear:

(POS Batt Term) - (30A Main Fuse) - (Main IGN Switch (Key)) - (10A Fuse "C") - (Engine Stop Switch) - (Starter Button) - (Start Relay Coil) - (Clutch Switch) - (Side Stand Switch) - (NEG Batt Term (via frame))

Alternately, to spin the starter motor with the motorcycle in neutral:

(POS Batt Term) - (30A Main Fuse) - (Main IGN Switch (Key)) - (10A Fuse "C") - (Engine Stop Switch) - (Starter Button) - (Start Relay Coil) - (Clutch Diode) - (Neutral Switch) - (NEG Batt Term (via frame))

Of course you have:

(POS Batt Term) - (Start Relay) - (Starter Motor) -(NEG Batt Term)

I have no idea why some are mentioning the ECM.... the ECM has no function in the starter motor spinning.

I see that you confirmed that the clutch switch is good, but are you sure that the clutch lever is fully actuating the switch? I recently installed a new aftermarket clutch lever and had the same issue with the bike not starting in gear. Turns out there is a small amount of play between the screw and the hole on the clutch switch that can allow a fully depressed clutch lever to not quite actuate the switch. Try loosening the screw, and physically move the switch closer to the lever, then tighten the screw.

I have the stock levers and i can see and hear it clicking the switch so im almost confident this is not the cause of the problem

• Member Contributer

gallery_30554_7281_2386669.jpg

Remove the battery leads and check your connector at the ECM. Make sure the pins are clean and then re-connect.

Reconnect the battery leads and try to start or have you already done this ?

PS love the color .

I have the stock levers and i can see and hear it clicking the switch so im almost confident this is not the cause of the problem

Sound means absolutely nothing. Until you put a multimeter on the switch and see it is passing voltage you have no idea how that switch is functioning.

• Member Contributer

Just what I was thinking: the switch could be clicking, but non-functioning and not actually closing the contacts. Need to check the switch with a VOM to make sure it's really working.

Sidestand switch? Lots of gunk builds up down there. A quick clean and test with voltmeter should do it.

If it isn't functioning at all it will prevent the starting of the motor. I can't remember on our bikes but on many others you can jump the terminals on that switch or close the circuit with a wire to test it when starting up your machine.

Just what I was thinking: the switch could be clicking, but non-functioning and not actually closing the contacts. Need to check the switch with a VOM to make sure it's really working.

That switch is out in the weather and the slightest bit of moisture infiltration can cause corrosion and oxidation on the contacts. They may be closing and the switch may sound "normal" and be mechanically functioning correctly. But the switch could have a high-resistance contact that doesn't allow enough current to pass to pull in the start relay.

This switch needs resistance measured (ohmed out) to verify function. Until you've done that, you've done nothing.

• Member Contributer

I did test the switch, it is functioning,

Howecer, i tried to test for continuity or voltage between the two wires going into the switch, voltage was 0.00

Okay, you lost me. Did you test for continuity at the switch blades with the wires unplugged? It should read 0 when open and basically 1 when closed.

With the bike on, there should be voltage, 12V most likely, at one of the wires when open and at both wires when closed.

Archived