Land Speed Racing, Guhl Reflash Reality, Scott's Damper Possible

VFR155

Hi. I have come over from the "other" site, too much background clutter for my tastes. You will find video of a July run at Loring at www.youtu.be/wPTKpYDSupc onboard my 2010 DCT. What the heck, thought I'd derestrict her and feel out her real top speed (which was 155.8mph restricted, officially). So the rush between July and Labor Day events began, the wallet opened.

I thought the simple part would be the reflash by Guhl Racing. The very first standard feature they listed in their email to me was, "Removing the top speed limiter". Other than the other standard features listed, I chose only the 500rpm rev limit increase option, and focused on making a Scott's damper work on the bike. In reality, the 1200's geometry is so "relaxed", I doubt its practicality on the bike. Better safe than sorry when racing and the rules require it.

My second contact at Scott's tried to be helpful after the first just went silent. He neglected to consider the center of stem to tank measurement supplied though, so it almost didn't happen at all. The damper arm was grindable to within a couple of mm of functionality, and barely clears the tank with the damper mounted on their universal mounting plate. Mounting the damper was the easy part, the frame mount was the other investment.

I bought a frame mount looked like a decent start to have cut and extended, didn't do myself any favors. Get a straight one, like an older GSXR1000 and hack that. It took the fabricator and myself four hours to get the end result desired, using the tank mount bolts while clearing the tank and top clamp. It was fiddly work, but the result is quite satisfactory. Great relief came as I snapped the tank sides into the front mounts! Tight, but clearance is clearance, there is a lone mm.

Ready to race, looking forward to feeling out the VFR above 155mph, possibly into the 170's, who knows. Labor Day comes. They are very stable at 155, very!

I volunteer at Loring Speed Trials (www.loringtiming.com), so I may hot-lap when I choose to run. It's sweet. All in, I've spent a small fortune in prep, fees and travel, that's racing. I made two passes on the VFR Labor Day weekend.

I was in no rush on my first run, they teased me for my 155.xxxmph consistency in July, so I tried my best to go through the mile trap at 155 to tease them back, then poured it on for the next half-mile - or so was my plan. There was nothing freaking there, NADA!

Guhl's 48 hour non-response to my email was followed by my calling Mr. Guhl. He has offered to reimburse my shipping costs to send it back to him for another reflash, He said that older reflashes actually had not had the speed limiter removed. I pointed out that my reflash was only weeks old, he hesitated. I may have pissed him off by requesting refund and correction of the problem, seeing as I had spent a couple of grand and his $375 reflash basically nullified weeks of rushing about and plans. Nothing wrong with asking, they have no actual material invested in this particular product, it's data.

Data has value, but a word to anyone who wants what was advertised when they parted with their $375 for their reflash, send it back for updating if you want the top speed limiter removed. I was as excited as any of you that Guhl took on the VFR1200, especially the DCT, and I first heard of it here at VFRD as a lurker. I look forward to getting this right for next July's Maine Event at Loring, hoping Guhl fixed this!

On a fun side note, the folks up at Loring are a great group, very diverse, kind and patient. One in particular, Ralphie Navarro, let me have a scoot on his BMW S100RR HP4. Oh my . . . took two passes. 175mph licensing run was goal for run one, hands were a little shaky picking up my timing slip on the return road, 176. There was a building crosswind for my second run, I went through the mile at 178 accelerating, but got blown right 40 feet and ran out of pucker real fast before the 1.5 mile trap. I would have to spend serious time with a girl like that to be able to make her dance well. What a machine, like a scalpel with a chainsaw engine or something, and what a prince of a man - thanks Ralphie!!!

• Member Contributer

First post

Biching and complaining

Not the best of starts eh?

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond.

Do not know the other site so no telling what clutter made you leave.

WELCOME and i have been leery of these ecu re-flashs.

So when you tried to go beyond 155 the ecu crashed instead of the factory rpm limit kicking in ?

Factory limit still there at 155, right where the factory put it.

• Member Contributer

WELCOME and i have been leery of these ecu re-flashs.

So when you tried to go beyond 155 the ecu crashed instead of the factory rpm limit kicking in ?

Factory limit still there at 155, right where the factory put it.

Not worth $375 ..

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear the top speed restriction was not removed on your more recent ECU flash. Of course, this calls into question the dyno data that was provided to Dynajohn by Guhl after he first discovered the issue and sent his ECU back for the fix. I think you are the first to actually test the "fix" outside of Guhl's dyno data. So, I guess either the fix is false, somehow yours was a one-off anomaly, and/or there are some process control issues at Guhl that lead to variability from ECU to ECU.

Troubling since I have an early Gen7 ECU re-flashed by Guhl and have been waiting for confirmation the top speed restriction "fix" was verified before I sent mine back for an update. Thanks for keeping us informed.

• Member Contributer

Welcome dude, you will find no SOW here, well maybe the closest would be switchblade.

Interesting project on your 7th gen, now the standard....

:worthlesswithoutpics:

• Member Contributer

Welcome dude, you will find no SOW here, well maybe the closest would be switchblade.

I got your SOW mello A hole .

• Member Contributer

LIke wise

• Member Contributer

LIke wise

You started it . Let me know the next time your at the Dragon. Like to meet you .

And there will be plenty of pic's.

• Member Contributer

Whats wrong nobody would buy your crappy looking block off plates.

Why are you even posting on a VFR1200 related topic? All you're doing is insulting people about things you have no knowledge about.

LIke wise

You started it . Let me know the next time your at the Dragon. Like to meet you .

And there will be plenty of pic's.

Is it hard to kept up ?

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^

Yes children I agree !

• Member Contributer

^^^^^^

Yes children I agree !

Don't know what happened between you two...don't want to know, but you are right, mello dude shouldn't have dragged it in to this thread.

VFR155, I'd like to hear more about your quest. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

damn i was looking forward to some top speed pulls!!!

switchblade and mello dude, the vfrd equivalent of sow and badbilly :P

:goofy:

I have read on several forums with the reflashed ECU not working. Usually they re do it and there ok but some never recover AND a new ECU has to be purchase by the owner .

Damn that's hard to take after all the preparation and effort. I have to apologize to the forum for not getting the dyno testing done on Gugl's ver. 2 re-flash to verify whether the speed limiter was removed. Other priorities got in the way. I will set up a dyno session date next Tuesday at Commonwealth Ducati to get this done ASAP.

Glad you were successful with the steering damper. I will be at the top speed meet in Ohio the 28th helping a friend who is trying to set a record with his modified GSXR 600.

John

Archived