Land Speed Racing, Guhl Reflash Reality, Scott's Damper Possible

VFR155

• Member Contributer

Damn that's hard to take after all the preparation and effort. I have to apologize to the forum for not getting the dyno testing done on Gugl's ver. 2 re-flash to verify whether the speed limiter was removed. Other priorities got in the way. I will set up a dyno session date next Tuesday at Commonwealth Ducati to get this done ASAP.

Apology...why? We have the fix for the real issue (1-2 gear restrictions) due to your diligence with Don in the first place. I love the other aspects of the re-flash too (new temp set point, fuel re-map, exhaust valve disable), and could live without the top speed de-restrict. But, since I paid for it! I'd like to have it. Have a long ride to BFE coming up and would like to give it a try. BTW, I actually didn't get the exhaust valve disabled. Don and I talked and we agreed this valve probably isn't just for noise reduction, but likely for volumetric efficiency, i.e. low end torque. Been lots of chatter about this, just not enough real evidence to the contrary. Maybe a dyno run could settle this too?

I'll send my ECU back once I know the top speed issue is resolved.

Hi. I have come over from the "other" site))))))))))))))))

The truth is never a bad thing first post or last, while some may prefer sugar coating and a pretense of reality, thanks for your factual feedback. I thought Gui hadn't really perfected the DCT or wasn't capable due to difficulties with that ECU, and they had focused on the standard shift model. But you mentioned that you only wanted the rev limit removed in your post, does that mean that you didn't get the power restriction mods in the lower gears? seems that was the biggest complaint with most people, cause that is an every day obstacle.

Spud Don worked on breaking the ECU code on both models (F & DCT) more or less simultaneously. He actually flashed and shipped a DCT ECU (the first one he did) to California before He flashed my F model ECU. Don installed a dynojet map in the DCT models that was a existing fuel map for the F model. The F model maps were the only maps available since the DCT model cannot be dyno tuned. Apparently the ECU restrictions are the same for both the F & DCT and the dynojet fuel mapping for the F model works pretty well on the DCT. If Don gets around to figuring out how to get around the ECU restriction that prevents dyno testing the bike and gets a DCT to play with on his dyno I suspect that he will find some real improvement in the DCT transmission programming.

It doesn't surprise me that Guhl's shop missed the speed limiter on the first re-flashes. The biggest problem he faced was not having a VFR 1200 to beta test the early re-flashes before shipping the first batch of ECU's so it is surprising he got everything else right the first time around. Those of us that got those initial re-flashed ECU's knew we were field testing the re-flash and had agreed to test and furnish feedback to Don. For my part he delivered on everything I asked for (1st & 2nd gear restriction removed, RPM limiter increased 500 RPM, removed the alarm code for removing the exhaust valve actuator) except the speed limiter. I called Don and told him the speed limiter was still there and posted that fact here. I now have the ver. 2 re-flash and will try to dyno test it in the next couple of weeks to verify Guhl has removed it the second time around.

Tested the bike yesterday and the speed limiter is gone. It will now pull (on the dyno) to the 11,100 RPM limiter in 5th gear (163.4 MPH) and in 6th gear (179.87 MPH).

Thanks Don for sticking with the speed limiter problem until it was solved.

I would say yes if you think you are going to want to exceed the stock 155 MPH limiter. Updates are free excluding freight from Guhl.

Personally the only reason I wanted it removed is that running my bike in a ECTA timed top speed event in Ohio is on my bucket list and I don't want to be limited when I compete. If I wasn't planning on doing this I would not care as running that fast on public roads in my area is not safe or practical (strict law enforcement). I am 72 years old and explaining to my grandkids why grandpa is in jail and on the evening news would be awkward.

• Member Contributer

So being in jail or on the evening news is already marked "done" onyour bucket list?

Details and pictures please!!! :goofy:

Yep already did that but it was way back in 1983 for drag racing. Cop was mad as hell, said his car was maxed out at 130 MPH on his certified speedometer and he couldn't keep up with us. He really was not amused when I said at least I had won the race and we both spent the night in jail. No grandkids then but my 2 daughters still like to remind me about it occasionally.

• 7 months later...

I ran my VFR1200 Saturday at Loring Timing Asscociations innaugural April Race. What a bunch of optimists! The Monday prior to the event the runway had too much snow to even drive through. Rain and sun cleared the course for racing both Saturday and Sunday. As at all their events, we ran until every racer was done, incredible!

I sent my ecu back to Guhl Racing in September after the first run Labor Day showed no change in top-speed limitation. I was offered refund or reflash, and was assured the speed-limiter would be removed,

The bike ran 155 stock. The bike ran 155 after the first reflash. The bike only ran 150 after the second reflash.

I wrote Don Guhl on Saturday, it's Wednesday now, and I have gotten the same response I got from them when I wrote them in September, none whatsoever. I just resent my email from Saturday, but am starting to believe I am screwed by the hype that was that the DCT could be derestricted. It's now more restricted than ever!

Don't go through what I did based on claims that the DCT model can be derestricted until you have facts. I am out well over a grand, all things considered, and unless Guhl Racing drastically changes their way of doing business, every cent was wasted.

I have not ridden the bike on the street to assess anything else about the second reflash, but now I feel stuck with a bike with an altered ecu, rev-limiter boost (that I only needed for sixth gear), and unneeded time and money that can't be recovered.

Beware!

I will happily update this post if anything changes, but it sure looks like more of the same for the time being . . .

Reply from Guhl, I've asked if a DCT has been dyno'd to confirm:

I just checked the flash that I have on file for you. It has the speed limiter removed. That removal has been confirmed to work several times on dynos at other locations.

If you like, send your ECU back so we can verify that the correct code has been installed. If it is not correct, we will fix it. If it is correct, we'll have to come up with a plan to figure out what is going on.

I ran my VFR1200 Saturday at Loring Timing Asscociations innaugural April Race. What a bunch of optimists! The Monday prior to the event the runway had too much snow to even drive through. Rain and sun cleared the course for racing both Saturday and Sunday. As at all their events, we ran until every racer was done, incredible!

I sent my ecu back to Guhl Racing in September after the first run Labor Day showed no change in top-speed limitation. I was offered refund or reflash, and was assured the speed-limiter would be removed,

The bike ran 155 stock. The bike ran 155 after the first reflash. The bike only ran 150 after the second reflash.

I wrote Don Guhl on Saturday, it's Wednesday now, and I have gotten the same response I got from them when I wrote them in September, none whatsoever. I just resent my email from Saturday, but am starting to believe I am screwed by the hype that was that the DCT could be derestricted. It's now more restricted than ever!

Don't go through what I did based on claims that the DCT model can be derestricted until you have facts. I am out well over a grand, all things considered, and unless Guhl Racing drastically changes their way of doing business, every cent was wasted.

I have not ridden the bike on the street to assess anything else about the second reflash, but now I feel stuck with a bike with an altered ecu, rev-limiter boost (that I only needed for sixth gear), and unneeded time and money that can't be recovered.

Beware!

I will happily update this post if anything changes, but it sure looks like more of the same for the time being . . .

Guhl did not waste your money, you chose to spend it. I know two people who regularly do speed runs at Maxton and they spend well over $1000 just getting there. If you've spent "well over a grand" then don't worry, you'll be spending a lot more with no guarantee of results.

• Member Contributer

Reply from Guhl, I've asked if a DCT has been dyno'd to confirm:

I just checked the flash that I have on file for you. It has the speed limiter removed. That removal has been confirmed to work several times on dynos at other locations.

If you like, send your ECU back so we can verify that the correct code has been installed. If it is not correct, we will fix it. If it is correct, we'll have to come up with a plan to figure out what is going on.

I think, the best thing for you to do is get your bike down to Don's shop and let him put it on his Dyno and figure out what's wrong. I know that he had some teething pains with mine and DynaJohn's. As for the DCT the first one that he did was Brian's (my friend). And he love's the bike after however he has not taken it up to 155 yet.

Don is a good guy but not perfect, we gave him all the Data that we had and he did a great job, I think that he will give you the money back if you wanted it...

Try that with Power Commander, Bazazz...

Good Luck.

On our dutch forum there are succesfully flashed ecus. Think its not the dtc that causes the problem but the fact that there are so manny codes ecu on our roads. There are also onboard movie s availible of (i think rob) his ecu

Don has responded. We are working on it. Maybe the third time will be the charm?

Fact is, no answer at all is an answer. Not answering says your issue isn't important enough to acknowledge, and shows zero respect while making problems worse than they need be.

I have carved out great success in a customer service oriented business, and believe it or not, I am very quick to compliment good service, and very hesitant to gripe. I typically find myself doing battle with manufacturers for my clients when things go awry. So, I can say that while I go to great strides to find the positive in situations and note it, when something paid for is not what it was represented to be, I communicate quickly and clearly.

My posts on this topic have been days after attempted contact, and wouldn't have been posted had the courtesy of a response been timely.

Moving forward . . . fingers crossed. Hope to post positive news in July.

Archived