1997 Vfr Issues

I just picked this bike up. I couldn't say no. It only has 5697 miles on it. Picked it up for well under a grand and there is only one broken fairing on it. Still had the D202's on it

Anyway, I'm going through the bike and when I put the new battery in it tonight, I noticed that the clock won't stop running and by running, I mean just starts at 1, 2, 3am and so on and won't stop unless I pull the indicator fuse.

Pulling the clock fuse does nothing. The only thing I did was clean the various plastic layers of the gauges. I traced the wires via the diagram, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has seen this issue before? As soon as I cut the ignition, the clock stops, but remains on.

Also, the gas tank lock is stuck like I've never seen before. I've probably got an hour on it and about 18 hours of soaking in penetrating oil with it. It won't budge. Does anyone have any helpful hints on getting this to move? I'm about to take it to a lock smith just because I'm getting so frustrated with it.

The PO of this bike said it only sat for 6 months, but I just don't see it. Not with the rust in the tank and the water I'm getting out of the 'slip on'. I've also got water down near where a 3rd gen's collector would be. I'm probably going to pull the exhaust just as a precautionary measure.

• Member Contributer

Not sure about the clock - but I've used a product called "Metal Rescue" that dissolves rust that's truly amazing on ferrous metals (not aluminum). It's totally safe and biodegradeable. If the lock is gummed up it probably wouldn't help but if it's rusted I'd bet that it would free it up. The only problem with M.R. is the price - about $25 for a gallon from big box home stores. It can however be used over and over until it gets totally saturated with rust. If you were nearby I'd soak it for you. I was skeptical at first, but the two projects I used it on it was amazing at dissolving rust and leaving the metal looking like new.

http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

I suspect the key ingredient is molasses. Be careful about leaving metal in too long as it will eventually disappear.

If you are trying to rid a car door of rust in the bottom seam then an old bath tub with molasses in it works wonders.

• Member Contributer

A better use of molasses is distilling rum imho.... :beer:

And............... picture of the bike or it did NOT happen :goofy:

In regards to your tank lock. You might want to remove your tank cap. and hint it with a few light applications of Blaster PB Penetrating Catalyst. This a very good penetrating loosing fluid that can be bought over the counter at most auto supplies. Allow the fluid to soak over night.

Are saying you have all your gas cap mounting bolts removed from your tank, and yet your gas cap assembly can't be removed from your tank? If this is true, then tomorrow I'll remove all my gas cap hex bolts from my VFR gas tank, and I'll see what happens.

The mids are actually just not bolted. The center cowl over the headlights is broken, but easily fixed with Resin's technique and the left upper is missing pieces. Otherwise, the bike is a 8.5/10

IF anyone has a spare left upper, I will be more than willing to come off some green for it, because she only has 5700 miles on her and I think I could swap out the fairings etc from Charlotte and keep this one. I do have brand spankin new Battlax 003's on her now and the carbs pulled apart after several hours out in the garage. Lots of cr@p in the fuel lines and 2 carbs had a large amount of dried gas cr@p in them. I'm having issues getting the needles out of their seats. I'm letting them soak in pb blaster overnight

Sorry I'm a day late, I hope I understood your question correctly? If so your gas cap is held on by three allen bolts. One bolt at 12 O'clock, one at 5 O'clock, and one at 7 O'clock. I've attached two photos. One photo illustrating a tank opening, and a removed gas cap. My gas cap came off rather easily after my bike had sat for several years.

post-22834-0-89703000-1410209584.jpg

post-22834-0-42979400-1410209618.jpg

Unfortunately, even if you remove the hex bolts the cap won't come out until you turn the key and retract the "ears" that hold it in the "spout". And it sounds like the OP's mechanism is frozen, preventing him from doing that.

you have to love po's. I found out today that this bike did NOT sit for 6 months, or even six years, but 14 years. I looked at the title which was issued in April of 00 and the bike had 5689mi on it. It has 5697 on it now.

I did get her running though! I need a fuel line, and had to borrow Charlotte's tank, but got it running. Smoked something awful at first which I think may have been the mouse nest or whatever was in the pipe. Removed the muffler and ran it for some time without it and it cleared up.

I did notice that the fan didn't come on. Temp needle ran almost all the way into the red. I'm going to have to look into this. Does anyone have any ideas? Yes, the fan is plugged in and yes it has ample coolant.

• Member Contributer

you have to love po's. I found out today that this bike did NOT sit for 6 months, or even six years, but 14 years.

From my view the PO is a sad individual......... what we experience in 6 months of living life to the max takes him 14 years to experience.... :goofy:

haven't tested the fan yet. the maxim had me tied up for a good bit yesterday. I did find out the fuel pump needs replacing too if anyone has one. I'll post updated pics of it soon.

The fuel pump leaks and as GLL told me, they have a tendency to catch fire as was the case with 'boomerang', the bike that came back to me about 2 weeks ago. It had been on fire.

I did put brand new Japanese K and L supply needles in it as the ones in the carbs were so far gone I couldn't get them out with anything less than sheer destructive force. I have an entire lh mid and rh upper with headlight coming from a cl ad too. Paid more than I wanted, but this bike will be pristine when I am done. I'm going to have a hard time NOT transferring over the goodies from Charlotte and keeping her

Here are some pics, nothing great, but I know how many pic ho's there are on here, me included

post-22672-0-17053600-1410482005.jpg

post-22672-0-78673700-1410482017.jpg

Archived