Quick Shifter Worth It?

polbit

Part of my original plan before getting the new VFR was to get the quick shifter right away, as I got used to it on my previous bike. Having ridden my VFR for over 1,000 miles now, I'm having seconds thoughts - the transmission is so smooth and precise (if a little lazy) that is the quick shifter really necessary? Whomever has it installed, are you happy with the results? Just looking for some opinions here...

• Member Contributer

Okay, I'm curious about quickshifters: if you don't race, do track days, or street competition then what's the point? I've always thought they would be cool for getting through the gears when you're in a hurry, but are they of any use for 90% of the rest of the time?

Not bashing at all, just wondering.

Okay, I'm curious about quickshifters: if you don't race, do track days, or street competition then what's the point? I've always thought they would be cool for getting through the gears when you're in a hurry, but are they of any use for 90% of the rest of the time?

Not bashing at all, just wondering.

Definitely a farkle, but what would a good bike be without a bunch of them!

• Member Contributer

Okay, now I see. I can dig the idea of more fun things. After all I have that stupid little cap that says VFR in the middle of my rear wheel.

CenterPlug.jpg

My 899 pani has quickshifter and on that bike I could not do without it. On the VFR I haven't got one and I don't miss it. But then I ride the Honda mostly on long motorway hauls.

My 899 pani has quickshifter and on that bike I could not do without it. On the VFR I haven't got one and I don't miss it. But then I ride the Honda mostly on long motorway hauls.

That's what I keep telling myself but the urge to buy is strong with that one...

Okay, now I see. I can dig the idea of more fun things. After all I have that stupid little cap that says VFR in the middle of my rear wheel.

lol That one about sums it up!

• Member Contributer

My understanding is that when you start to move the shifter lever, the ECU cuts power to the engine for a sec enabling a clutchless shift. Cutting the power unloads the shifter dogs enabling a smooth quick shift. You can do it without the electronics, but it takes practice to do it smoothly.

CenterPlug.jpg

Where can you get one of those rear wheel caps with the VFR logo? I like it!

• Member Contributer

I'll check tomorrow morning since I can't remember exactly where I got it. I know it was ridiculously overpriced for what it was, but it was cool, useless but cool. :beer:

I'll check tomorrow morning since I can't remember exactly where I got it. I know it was ridiculously overpriced for what it was, but it was cool, useless but cool. :beer:

Looks like Thurn Motorsport in Germany. They have some really cool (and expensive) stuff for the VFR. Wish there was better english on there

• Member Contributer

That's the place. Took me forever to finally find it. I couldn't remember when I bought it. Stupid expensive for what it is. But like Penny said: "The heart wants what the heart wants." :beer:

• Member Contributer

Nothing at Thurn for the RC79 yet. :-(

Gerhard has this for you:

post-8974-0-49303100-1409594383.jpg

He's very busy with serving his customers; overhauling his webiste a looong term project. So maybe one day there will be a proper webshop.....

If anyone gets stuck with the German language, I can help (as I've done before :goofy: ). I always get prompt responses on my mails to him (since 1997..)

The hub covers are machine in Germany, where labour costs are what they are.

Archived