Odd Questions But Surely Someone Here Can Tell Me...

makenzie71

Is the "Honda" on the engine covers suppose to be level? I'm using an 800 lump in a mini buggy and I had assumed that the cylinders were equidistant from 90* to level...but if I mount the engine like that the "Honda" is tilted quite a bit. I'm also trying to measure from the oil pan...I'm assuming it is also suppose to be level and it is parallel to the Honda logo.

• Member Contributer

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. I can proceed with fervor now.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. I can proceed with fervor now.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

This is all I can give so far...

What it's going in:

RvDKGqL.jpg

Where I am at so far:

9wq1UZ1.jpg

There's a jackshaft at the front going into my f/n/r box that the motor will drive. I've made spars that bolt to either side of the engine where the frame was prior. I'm going to put a riser and a hinge on it just above where the spars are (if you can see them) to make the engine "swing" away from the jackshaft for chain tension. Then it's a matter of securing that 100-or-so horsepower in there and then lengthening the wiring harness to move the clocks and controls up front.

I do have a couple more questions, though:

Has anyone seen an automatic clutch for something as powerful as the VFR? I would love to be able to get away from using the clutch for this project and operate the engine as a semi-auto, but it's not crucial.

Has anyone converted to a cable clutch? If not that, then would a brake master cylinder have enough push to operate the clutch? If I cannot get away from the clutch I will need to use a lever mounted on my shifter and it will be mounted vertically. If I can use a brake master cylinder with a remote reservoir than everything will be gravy.

Lastly...does anyone know the diameter of the bolt that passes all the way through the engine on the forward most mount? 12mm seems to fit loosely...I don't know if they're shouldered or something. I need to order some stock and get that one in place...the stock bolt is now far too long.

You could look into a powershifter for easier gear changes, but I'm not sure that it would be worth the dollars.

Similarly, yes there is a cable clutch conversion available, but it would cost more than your VFR motor would have cost you.

http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/bikes/Honda_-_VFR_750_R__and__RC30?bikecat=61

Keep the updates and pics coming, I got interested in a VFR-powered buggy when I discovered the Edge Piranha kit, and I'm still quite interested in building one, one day/

• Member Contributer

The clutch master cylinder ID is 14.00mm according to the shop manual.

It doesn't list a stroke, does it? Can't be too much different from a brake master, though. A 5/8" remote reservoir brake master should handle the job.

Of course now that I'm thinking it...are there remote reservoir clutch maters?

Archived