Repair, Replace Or Remove

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

My Rear Brake Hose Guide ( #7 in link) is half a bend away from becoming two pieces. It's split where it's attached (welded?) to the flat washer. Would you guys repair it some how or order & replace it or just run without it? If I should replace it & not run without it, I'm thinking that I can't get one in time for Friday night's races. So, is there a temporally fix for it? Anyone have one you don't need?

Thanks guys!

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/VFR800FI+A/SWINGARM/parts.html

For $10 (item plus S&H) I would just replace it. Unless you could fabricate something really cool, then I would go that route. But admittedly there is not really anything cool that would come to mind for something so mundane.

I just noticed that mine is broken off too. I'll probably replace it at some point, but I really don't see any urgency. I've seen no signs of rubbing or abrasion on the brake lines and don't really see how they could possibly touch anything. A bit of Honda overengineering maybe?

• Member Contributer

For less than ten bucks replace it. -- The idea of the whole thing is to avoid having the hose bounce over and hit the chain.

Got a wire coat hanger or some similar short piece of stiff wire?

Solid copper wire can be pretty stiff, all you need is a couple inches, and a pliers.

How can that thing be worth $10? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input, guys. I was able to put in back on with it still in one piece. I'll be replacing it soon. Would you recommend I get it from Partzilla or some other place?

Got a wire coat hanger or some similar short piece of stiff wire?

Solid copper wire can be pretty stiff, all you need is a couple inches, and a pliers.

How can that thing be worth $10? :unsure:

I'm not quite understanding how you're saying to fix it. :huh:

Partzilla is fine. Shipping is not fast, but I have had much slower too. Some people here like Keith from Mason City Honda (I think). 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

"There was no mistaking the V-4 exhaust note and the whine of the cam gears on the 1998 Interceptor,sounds that could make you feel like a world superbike racer even puttering around town."~Andrew Trevitt (Senior Editor Sport Rider Magazine March 2012)

BTW, I have been looking for that quote but could not remember the exact wording of it. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Thanks, marriedman. I ordered it today from my local dealer. They give me a discount so it was alittle cheaper that way. Should have it Monday or Tuesday. Glad I was able to help you with that quote. That's probably the way a lot of us feel about our VFR's.

weld it back. or bend a wire to shape :fing02:

I'm slow, but yeah, bend a piece of wire to do the job temporarily.

MacGyver it. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I needed something to support the Scotoiler nozzle, found some plastic covered metal wire.

Move over McGyver!

post-8974-0-14448000-1408802685.jpg

• Member Contributer

no.. not temp.. permanent!!

place a bolt on the hole. bend the wire/ coat hanger around the bolt to make a loop.

tighten bolt..

bend wire to desired shape to hold line in place,

trim excess.

:wink:

• Member Contributer

no.. not temp.. permanent!!

place a bolt on the hole. bend the wire/ coat hanger around the bolt to make a loop.

tighten bolt..

bend wire to desired shape to hold line in place,

trim excess.

:wink:

Hmm...that'll work. Thanks guys!

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

well...

17.5 years on, my Scotoiler stopped working.

Followed their troubleshoot guide though and traced it to this:

post-8974-0-80046600-1430067593.jpg

A crack in the vacuum plug on a carb..

Disgraceful eh? Only lasted such a short time!!! :goofy:

Nah... a $10 (incl shipping) spare part is on its merry way...

Archived