Nobody Wanted It, So It's Getting A Makeover, Big Time!

daffyduck1962

I tried to sell my Black 98 VFR for £1800. Lots of good bits plus some extras, but because I was trying to be honest, I mentioned the bodywork was subject to marks mainly caused over the bike's 16 year life. Hence not one phone call!

So bollocks to them, I have come to my senses and am going to keep it until I am either dead, or too old to ride it anymore.

I was tempted to the dark side (Street Triple) but couldn't get comfortable on it, then tried a CB1300S, that was not as good as the VFR. so along with the lack of interest, I have decided to repay my bike for trying to pass her on, by taking on my biggest project to date.

Once we get to the end of October. I will SORN it for winter, and then I will be stripping it down to the frame, with the intention of doing the following jobs:

1. Bodywork off and resprayed. Colour undecided, any ideas? What would you do with a blank canvas?
2. Powder coat the centre stand, side stand, bottom yoke, fairing and rear sub-frames in Black. Wheels will be done (colour undecided), but rims will be polished.
3. Handlebars, heat plate and top yoke to be shot blasted, then powder coat or respray. Which would you do, and why?
4. Exposed alloy (footrest hangers etc.) to be polished.
5. Engine and swing arm out. Engine will get shims rechecked and done where necessary (43k on the clock).
6. New bearings throughout, plus its coming up to the point where it will need a new C & S kit soon. And new brake pads.
7. New stainless exhaust system, but want to fit a high level silencer. Do I buy Motad or Delkevic down-pipes? I want the exhaust to be close to the bodywork, but not touching it obviously.
8. Replace all exposed nuts and bolts with new items (This seems to be cheaper than having existing bolts polished or anodised).

All will cost between £1500 - £2000. I know I will never get my money back even if I sell it straight afterwards, but considering I would have spent this on another bike, and then have to spend more money on it to be happy with it I don't think it is too bad.
Since I bought the bike in December 2012 I have already done the following:
  • shock rebuilt by MCT
    Forks rebuilt by me.
    K&N filter
    Irridium plugs.
    Touring scottoiler.
    Oxford sport heated grips.
    Garmin mount for my Zumo 550
    MRA Double Bubble Screen.
    Renntec Sports Rack.

What I am asking for is any suggestion on how to do this without too many headaches.
Ideas and opinions on colour schemes (Pics would be great).
Any areas that are likely to be a problem, with tips on how to overcome them?

Don't want much do I?

I´m kind in the same boat. I tried to sell my 2000 VFR800Fi but only got a trade offer to a Aprilia Mille, no thanks.

I might not go as fat a repaint mine, but have also planed a stripdown, maybe paint frame and swing black, rebuild brakes as clutch and do a valve check. I already changed the tired aftermarket muffler for a like new stocker. I will have plenty of time as I plan to keep the VFR off the road next year and enjoy a 600Tenere

Good luck what the rebuild, and for color I would say stay whit a one color paint jobb, easyer and cleaner look if you are not big a RWB fan.

• Member Contributer

I've always liked this bike's color scheme although it's a 6th gen

IMG_4973_zps0afd58a8.jpg

I also like the 5th gen Honda made for their 50th anniversary.

1002021652fbb0ed86b8cd107d_zps17020256.j

That's quite a list. I'm gonna say you need stimulants. Lots of them.

Going by your avatar, I guess you have that covered. :happy:

Because you asked here are my thoughts:

1. Bodywork off and resprayed. Colour undecided, any ideas? What would you do with a blank canvas?

#Great idea a new paint job always makes any bike fell special, have zero idea what colours but you can use low tech to try out some ideas a picture & colour it in the colours your thinking. I would also go the clear indicators that look so much better than the orange.

2. Powder coat the centre stand, side stand, bottom yoke, fairing and rear sub-frames in Black. Wheels will be done (colour undecided), but rims will be polished.

#It's not very costly to powder coat those items, sorry hate polished wheels rather one solid colour.

3. Handlebars, heat plate and top yoke to be shot blasted, then powder coat or respray. Which would you do, and why?

#Powder coat as low cost & looks good.

4. Exposed alloy (footrest hangers etc.) to be polished.

#Again polish is a pain unless you have them clear coated but the clear coat has to be alloy specific or it will go yellow over time so cost is high, I would keep on the powder coat theme.

5. Engine and swing arm out. Engine will get shims rechecked and done where necessary (43k on the clock).

#Engine out just to do valves is pointless as you can degease & clean without doing that unless you want to also paint engine or frame. Swing arm I would leave same as frame just a good clean (if painting frame do swing arm)

6. New bearings throughout, plus its coming up to the point where it will need a new C & S kit soon. And new brake pads.

#Only needed if there is a problem but if your painting wheels, frame, swing arm then replace those bearings.

7. New stainless exhaust system, but want to fit a high level silencer. Do I buy Motad or Delkevic down-pipes? I want the exhaust to be close to the bodywork, but not touching it obviously.

#100% motad they fit better & the build quality is better, I would also consider jet hot coating the headers.

8. Replace all exposed nuts and bolts with new items (This seems to be cheaper than having existing bolts polished or anodised).

#Have you priced Honda oem fairing bolts etc, take your bolts to a chroming place & have them re chromed will be much cheaper same effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I used CTC Powder Coatings in Maldon for shot blasting these

k03w9y.jpg

Really good job, Did them whilst I waited, and cost £20.

29ldbn5.jpg

I then repainted and rebuilt them. Repainted them using Hammerite Smooth. 6 or so coats.

2cz94y0.jpg

Keep going. It'll all be worth it in the end.

Archived