Shoei Gt Air ?

burnes45

• Member Contributer

Time for a new helmet does anyone have any thoughts or own the new Shoei GT Air?? Went to Cycle Gear today to try different helmets out. I wear glasses and the flip down sun visor in a Shoei was a strong selling point for me. I'm coming out of a RF1000 so I'm a little bias. Would like some real world feed back for that much $$.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

How was the fit compared to the RF1000, similar? How is Cycle Gear's pricing in the store? Revzilla has it about $500-$600.

• Member Contributer

I have both an RF-1100 and the GT-Air. I have since retired my RF-1100 for a few reasons, one the helmet was dropped and has a little nick out of the paint, two the little lip on the back of the helmet hits my speed hump on my leathers and bothers the heck out of me and third, I now have a good reason to retire it (see link: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78800-what-do-you-do-when-youre-in-riverside-ca/ ).

That being said, the GT-Air is a great helmet, It is comfortable, well most Shoei's are for me anyway, the drop down sun shield works good, although it takes some getting used to. The airflow is decent, although somewhat ironic to its name, as it does not flow air as much as the RF-1100, but as a good consequence, it is quieter. I have since made the GT-Air my primary sport riding helmet and use my Schuberth for commuting/touring but I will sometimes wear the GT-Air for touring rides now that I added a Cardo G9x communication system to it. The only caveat is that it does not have SNELL approval, so if that has any significance to you, just be aware.

Would I recommend it? Yes I would.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Owned it, sold it. There pros and cons.

Pros: damn thing is quiet, I mean very quiet. Quietest helmet I've used in my riding career. Owned Arais, Shoeis, and AGV's for the most part over the years, multiple models from each.

Styling is also very cool. It feels light weight and the shell is smaller sized than older gen helmets.

Flows air decent. Speaker cut outs were excellent. Easy to install Bluetooth comms, and route wires. Quick release cheek pads for EMS use (huge safety factor to me and the best feature of the helmet). Shade lever, all controls, top of the shelf Shoei quality, which I consider to be the best in the industry on these newer gen Shoeis.

Cons: neck roll or should I say the base of the helmet, around your neck, the opening, is tight. It's a must to try on this helmet before ordering or buying for sizing.. That tight base is necessary for the noise reduction. You do get used to it. Might have to go a size up but the base loosens up a little upon use but remains tight. Not approved for track used the US.

The biggest factor for me was that flip down shade. When the shade is down, airflow is blocked on the brow so sweat condensates at that point and it ends up on the inside of the flip down shade, and impaired view, for me. I also didn't like the split view screen. While the shade portion is adequate, the opening at the bottom with no tint let's in an awful amount of light for me. Just too bright. I ride mostly in TX and the sun blares down at 100 degrees and high humidity. It's bright as hell coming through the bottom and even when I got used to it I always felt slightly distracted from my eyes looking through two different screens. One tinted, one not.

Called Shoei. Wanted to order a tinted external visor, a light smoke. Then I could use the flip down only at the brightest times of the day or not at all. Would be a great helmet then. External visor, tinted, during day rides to block light top and bottom. Clear screen at night, ie, just like a normal helmet. But then if you were a couple hours from sundown and were to ride at night also, you wouldn't have to carry a spare screen. Would cover it all. On tour that would be killer in the afternoon. And for early morning commuters or tourers who want to start when it's still dark, awesome again. Shoei said no, they won't sell one, etc. Legal bs. With the ability to put an external visor, tinted on, would be the perfect do it all helmet.

Sold it, bought a RF-1200. Same gen so it has the quick release cheek pads. It has speaker cutouts. It's now made with a smaller shell. Great airflow (better than gt-air for me), visibility, visor of your choice with lots of options. Much happier. Doesn't look as cool but it's a step up from the 1100. Cheaper than the GT-Air too. Track rated.

Good luck

Guest Recalcitrance

Thanks for the reports Duc and Luv. Very helpful.

I've been looking at the GT Air and I think it will be my next helmet but I'm not sure. My AGV Stigma is still doing very well but it's nice to have a spare. I have an RF 1000 Breakthrough which I love but it's getting up there in age. I sold my RF 1100 Urban because it was too heavy and too loud. Haven't tried on the 1200 yet.

I'd like to try on the GT Air before anything else. I'm also very happy with my AGV so I'd be looking at what they have to offer as well. Arai has never fit me well but I'm hoping I can find a shell that suits me.

• Member Contributer

I wanted a GT Air but after walking around cycle gear with it on for about 30 minutes developed a small red pressure point on the front of my forehead...not quite oval enough for me...

Fit is bivouacs huge. My guess is, that if you are already happy with the fit of your RF1000, then you know the Shoei shape and should know what to expect. I've hears a few comments that it fits tighter than the RF1100. I found it was really only tighter in the face, albeit that was from trying them in in store as I have never owned another Shoei. I switched from Arai to the GT Air. I'm a huge fan or how quiet it is by comparison. The Arai 's are loud, partly from air flow, but in large part I suspect from the way the face shield attaches with the external plastic pucks holding the thing on. This helmet is much much quieter than that. I agree with the comments here regarding air flow. There really isn't much air flow at all compared to some of the other sport helmets. On a hot day, I find it hard to tell whether the two upper vents are open or closed. The internal sun visor is very nice. It's great to toggle that depending on your lighting conditions and you never need to worry about making the wrong choice having out in your sunglasses or switched up your face shield. It also comes with the pin lock which claims to only allow 80% of light through. I find much of the time, this is pretty good if I'm not riding directly into the sun. You can also buy a tinted pin lock film, I believe, if you can't get a tinted visor.

All in all, I am very happy with the weight, fit, and quietness of the helmet. It seems very sturdy and well put together, regardless of its lack of snell rating. My understanding with regard to the snell rating is that the helmet was never submitted for the rating, not that it failed. I haven't done much research to support this, but I suspect it may have something to do with the internal sun visor. Snell approved helmets don't tend to have this, and I suspect snell has some requirements with regard to the helmet's construction that disqualifies this design. For me, the biggest con is the air flow, but it was high 30's by the time it made me really unhappy.

Good luck with it, or whatever you buy. Too bad you can't test ride helmets.

~ Dave

I forgot to add, I did order the different cheek pads, but the shell and the rest of the helmet fit great.

• Member Contributer

I must have a different GT Air than everyone else because I have most of the opposite problems.

- louder than my previous Shoei's. Part of this I blame on the VFR itself since my head sits right in the wind blast off the screen (I'm 6'4) and everything is loud. Block the air going between my shoulders and the bottom of the helmet and everything is quiet. Even still, open and close the top vent and airflow (which isn't that great but also isn't bad) is very very noticeable. Even with ear plugs and my Sena playing music.

- extremely well balanced. I wear helmets for my day job and fore/aft side/side weight balance is very quickly noticeable for me. The GT Air is much better balanced weight-wise then the Schuberth and Scorpion models with integrated sun visors I've owned. A little heavier than my RF1100 but the balance is so good it's almost unnoticeable.

- Sena was easily mounted. Ear cups are almost perfect. Could use a hair more depth to seat them perfectly.

- someone mentioned the tight fit. I'll second it. Had to order the thinner cheek pads even though it's the same size as my RF1100. Was just too tight across the lower part of my jaw/face.

Overall, love the helmet. Just finished 4 day, 1300+ mile trip in ID/OR/WA/MT and I could easily have done another 4 days without complaint.

I haven't ridden with that type of helmet, but my Seven Zero Seven helmet from cycle gear had the same noise issue. If I could close the gap around my head at the bottom if the helmet, I could comfortably ride without ear plugs. Maybe one of the helmet skirts that goes all the way around the helmet at the bottom.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input. Hope this does not show up twice had my reply typed up and hit the backspace key and it disappeared!

Looked at Bike Bandit, Revzilla and Dennis Kirk all the same price as Cycle Gear $603.00. Fit was tight I normally wear a medium way to tight the ;large fit was right. Thanks again for your thoughts.

• Member Contributer

Pros: damn thing is quiet, I mean very quiet. Quietest helmet I've used in my riding career. Owned Arais, Shoeis, and AGV's for the most part over the years, multiple models from each.

Styling is also very cool. It feels light weight and the shell is smaller sized than older gen helmets.

Flows air decent. Speaker cut outs were excellent. Easy to install Bluetooth comms, and route wires. Quick release cheek pads for EMS use (huge safety factor to me and the best feature of the helmet). Shade lever, all controls, top of the shelf Shoei quality, which I consider to be the best in the industry on these newer gen Shoeis.

Cons: neck roll or should I say the base of the helmet, around your neck, the opening, is tight. It's a must to try on this helmet before ordering or buying for sizing.. That tight base is necessary for the noise reduction. You do get used to it. Might have to go a size up but the base loosens up a little upon use but remains tight. Not approved for track used the US.

The biggest factor for me was that flip down shade. When the shade is down, airflow is blocked on the brow so sweat condensates at that point and it ends up on the inside of the flip down shade, and impaired view, for me. I also didn't like the split view screen. While the shade portion is adequate, the opening at the bottom with no tint let's in an awful amount of light for me. Just too bright. I ride mostly in TX and the sun blares down at 100 degrees and high humidity. It's bright as hell coming through the bottom and even when I got used to it I always felt slightly distracted from my eyes looking through two different screens. One tinted, one not.

Called Shoei. Wanted to order a tinted external visor, a light smoke. Then I could use the flip down only at the brightest times of the day or not at all. Would be a great helmet then. External visor, tinted, during day rides to block light top and bottom. Clear screen at night, ie, just like a normal helmet. But then if you were a couple hours from sundown and were to ride at night also, you wouldn't have to carry a spare screen. Would cover it all. On tour that would be killer in the afternoon. And for early morning commuters or tourers who want to start when it's still dark, awesome again. Shoei said no, they won't sell one, etc. Legal bs. With the ability to put an external visor, tinted on, would be the perfect do it all helmet.

Sold it, bought a RF-1200. Same gen so it has the quick release cheek pads. It has speaker cutouts. It's now made with a smaller shell. Great airflow (better than gt-air for me), visibility, visor of your choice with lots of options. Much happier. Doesn't look as cool but it's a step up from the 1100. Cheaper than the GT-Air too. Track rated.

Good luck

Did you see the soon to be released Photochromic face shield Shoei is releasing for the RF-1200?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cwr-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield

• Member Contributer

I upgraded from a 1000 to the GT Air.

Love it. Yes it was tight to get on my noggin for the first month or so, but very used to it now.

Yes, getting used to the drop down visor took some time, but I do like now. It's nice to slide it up in dark shadow stretches or the few times when arriving in dark.

The fit for me is beautiful. Snug, but comfortable without pain.

I ordered the 33 mil cheek pads as I'm currently sporting a full grill (upper/lower braces) and it's very comfortable.

Once the grill is gone, the original pads will go back in.

I really like that the head liner is fully removable and washable!

Yes, having a smoke or mirror shield would 'look cool' but again for me, the drop down visor does a very good job of diffusing the sun.

Having had restorative ear surgery in 2013, this was a major concern. THIS HELMET IS QUIET!

I've installed the Cardo G4 Scala with internal bluetooth speakers and only ride with one ear plug (in the restored ear).

I can enjoy the music and comm (between other rider) and have no issue with the wind noise.

It kills the low level buffetting that would come up from the chest and shoulders, through the neck area on my previous RF 1000.

The venting is quite good, and I can really control flow either over the face or forehead.

The only issue I've had thus far, is attempting to clean the pinlock screen as some dust/dirt gathered around the gasket.

This was my learning curve / fault. I've damaged the optics inside the pinlock, as there seems to be some kind of coating.

Prior to my meddling, there was no fogging or condensing. After, I do get a little fog when out in heavy rain.

Final Thoughts: I love the helmet. Expensive? Yes - but I saved up and found a deal for $450.

I need to replace the visor and pinlock screen, so I may look at the polarizing one, but the clear is still very nice.

• Member Contributer

I got a GT-Air as a trial for writing an article for a mag, so I really wasn't that biased.

Must say it was tight but I'm still using it 12 months down the track and love it.

I feel that head shape is what either makes or breaks any helmet.

Shoei seems to fit more narrow heads better.

I love the sun visor and with a Cardo fitted to it it is great.

Would buy one if I needed a replacement, but as I said earlier, it depends on the shape of your head, with regard to fit.

• Member Contributer

I wear a large RF1000. Fits well, but the cheek pads were too thin. Upgraded to the thicker pads. I don't own one, but recently tried a large GT Air. Tight going over the head, but once on, felt perfect. Fit and finish were top shelf! Would love to replace the RF1000, but the GT Air is out of my price range. Keeping my eyes open for a deal on a lightly used one.

• Member Contributer

Good luck

Did you see the soon to be released Photochromic face shield Shoei is releasing for the RF-1200?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cwr-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield

Yes sir. AGV is or already has one for my Corsa as well. Glad I have a source for this stuff as I get it much cheaper than online prices. These new shields are bloody expensive!

But with this technology, it will negate these drop down visors. Another reason I sold the GT-air.

• Member Contributer

I went from a Large RF1100 to a Med Air GT with the thinner check pads, fit is great. I love the Air GT, but agree that the airflow is less than the RF1100, I had a hard time figuring out which way the vents are open. My only real gripe with it is they did away with the little thing that let you keep the face shield just barely open, that was always one of my favorite features about Shoei's. I bought mine last Spring, so I have had it a while.

I wear XL, and tried both XL GT Air and RF-1200. For my American noggin' GT Air was just too tight, and the opening is so narrow, annoying. RF-1200 with 31mm cheek pads is perfect, probably the most comfortable helmet I've had ever. Airflow is great, and while not super quiet, it's up there with quieter helmets. Love the RF-1200. Plus my first sports bike was an RF900, so the name rocks too :)

• Member Contributer

I went from a Large RF1100 to a Med Air GT with the thinner check pads, fit is great. I love the Air GT, but agree that the airflow is less than the RF1100, I had a hard time figuring out which way the vents are open. My only real gripe with it is they did away with the little thing that let you keep the face shield just barely open, that was always one of my favorite features about Shoei's. I bought mine last Spring, so I have had it a while.

Revzilla's review said it still had this "just cracked open" setting?

Revzilla's review said it still had this "just cracked open" setting?

Just cracked open seems to mean just not locked. A little bit of air sneaks in if you don't engage the lock, but I wouldn't call it cracked open. The first notch is a little too open for me as the air is then directed straight to my eyes, which I don't really like. It's my first Shoei, as I had mentioned before, so I wasn't sure if this was different from the other Shoeis with that feature.

• Member Contributer

It does not have the little "catch" my other Shoeis have to hold the face shield barely open. I think you can try to barely open it, but half the time I don't think it does open.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got a Shoei GT Air, tried the medium and the fit was tight so I replaced it with a large. This is definitely a helmet you need to try on to see if the fit is right. I like the flip down visor as here in CO you can go from a shaded view and into blinding sunlight several times a minute. Still breaking it in, as others have said, it's quiet, doesn't flow quite as much as my older HJC but it's a keeper.

Archived