Ignition Switch Is Locking Up?

choco

So the key goes in and out just fine, but the ignition won't turn, something is binding. I started it up for todays ride, rolled it outside, washed it, rolled it back in the garage, dried it, and when it was time to go the ignition switch wouldn't turn. I wiggled the key, joggled the ignition housing, tried both keys, kept wiggling, somewhat desperately as Jim (Bizbat) was likely waiting for me at the Duvall Grill, after have just ridden about 60 miles from Yelm! Finally it turns and I am able to start it. I ride down to the Grill, we have breakfast with my lovely wife and it turns just fine because I left the key in it. We ride about 15 miles to fuel up and I've forgotten my spare key on my workbench when I was fidgen with the ignition in the morning. So I reluctantly take the key out of the ignition and open my fuel tank, and later I insert the key into the ignition and it won't turn. So, long story short, I fidgeted for quite a while until it finally turned on and we rode back and got the other key. I shut my bike off several times on our 270 mile+ ride but didn't take the key out and it turned just fine. I don't dare take the key out until I find out if anybody on VFRD has had this experience and has a fix. I assume I will be ordering a new ignition switch, with brings me to the next question for later.

Mine started doing that but I just sprayed some lock graphite in the tumbler and it has worked fine for the last 4 months.

• Member Contributer

Hey Lee try some Tri-Flow lubricant, I still have some after a locksmith recommended it years ago....it works wonders

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. I will try graphite or tri flow before I order a new ignition.

Reading these comments, I think I'm going to try the Tri-Flow

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/204009-graphite-spray-lubricant-ignition-lock.html

Hey Lee try some Tri-Flow lubricant, I still have some after a locksmith recommended it years ago....it works wonders

Good Luck!

Which one did you use?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tri+flow+lubricant&id=78FE2FBEAA02D1132291418BE3A10D9FD72DD8B4&FORM=IQFRBA

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies. I will try graphite or tri flow before I order a new ignition.

Reading these comments, I think I'm going to try the Tri-Flow

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/204009-graphite-spray-lubricant-ignition-lock.html

Good Luck!

Which one did you use?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tri+flow+lubricant&id=78FE2FBEAA02D1132291418BE3A10D9FD72DD8B4&FORM=IQFRBA

Aerosol can.....

My hardware store had Tri Flow in the aerosol can and powdered graphite. I ended up buying an aerosol can of Lock-Ease which is an aerosol spray of graphite, the spray evaporates and leaves the graphite. I tried it and it worked great. My ignition is working again. it's Lock-Ease Graphited Lock Fluid by the AGS company.

The problem with graphite, if subjected to moisture turns to mud, then when it dries you have crusted mud inside your lock, the problem with silicones in high heat(sun exposure it can gel), so its take your chances longevity wise.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I had to replace my ignition switch, they tend to wear out over time.

What did you replace it with? OEM or dubious Chinese knockoff? I'm a little leary of those $25 eBay ones. Honda wants $135, then again the first one lasted over 16 years...

Archived