Right Sequence Bolting Front Forks?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Is this the correct sequence when bolting on the front forks?

Bike's front supended off the ground

1) fit one of the fork legs, say the RH one at the desired height sticking through. Pay attentiopn to cable routing

One bolt on the lower stem, 1 on the upper and one for the RH clip-on. Bolts torqued to spec

2) slide in LH fork (lower bolt ever to slightly to prent fork from falling out again) at the same height sticking through the stems

3) put in front wheel plus front axle, torque to spec. leave pinch bolts loose

4) put on brake calipers, torque to spec, put on front fender

5) lower bike, lower bolt on LH stem is loose

6) grab front brake and pump the suspension a few times (not sitting on the bike)

7) tighten the bolt on the upper stem to spec, then the bolt on the lower stem and then the one for the clip on

8) tighten pinch bolts on lower fork legs

Or?????

• Member Contributer

I believe those are the instructions from the manual, which is what I have followed the last three times I have had to work on the front end....it has worked for me... I cannot add anything.

Never done 4th gen forks, but I always set the forks in the triples where you want them and tighten them up. The only thing you leave loose for the front end bounce is the left side pinch bolts.

• Member Contributer

Thanks just set them, got a 1000 turns ride coming up over the weekend in Luxemburg (camping) and Germany (riding)

I could go up down up the Dragon to achieve that, I know...... ;-)

• Member Contributer

Yes

Apart from their own language, they speak German in the north and French in the south. Hence Luxemburg and Luxembourg. Same difference :-)

• Member Contributer

Yes

Apart from their own language, they speak German in the north and French in the south. Hence Luxemburg and Luxembourg. Same difference :-)

Ahhhh you say potato and I say patata ....

I have used this procedure with good success. Scroll down to "A Little Adjustment Tip".

http://www.vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/forkheight.htm

My friend wrote that, pretty damn cool. Bruce has infinite knowledge on the VFR.

Always appreciated Bruce's wisdom on the VFR List. Book marked this page and also printed it out as a reference in the tool box.

• Member Contributer

I have used this procedure with good success. Scroll down to "A Little Adjustment Tip".

My friend wrote that, pretty damn cool. Bruce has infinite knowledge on the VFR.

Does he still have a VFR? I have used this tip myself for setting the fork height.

• Member Contributer

Does he still have a VFR? I have used this tip myself for setting the fork height.

Yes he does. And a hawk, and a Yamaha FZ1.

Years ago (many), he let me ride that VFR750 of his, for a nice tour of the 1 while out in CA for WSBK. 2001 IIRC. Elevation changes (big time), tight corners, thick fog, and a nice few hundred feet cliff(s) next to me. i was riding thinking "F me, I'm on his baby", it's all I could think about due to the precipitation, fog, etc. I gingerly rode that thing, so slow, that one of the guys riding with us doubled back to get me. He had taken apart that suspension so many times it was ridiculous, a true perfectionist. Bruce is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

• Member Contributer

Yes he does. And a hawk, and a Yamaha FZ1.

Years ago (many), he let me ride that VFR750 of his, for a nice tour of the 1 while out in CA for WSBK. 2001 IIRC. Elevation changes (big time), tight corners, thick fog, and a nice few hundred feet cliff(s) next to me. i was riding thinking "F me, I'm on his baby", it's all I could think about due to the precipitation, fog, etc. I gingerly rode that thing, so slow, that one of the guys riding with us doubled back to get me. He had taken apart that suspension so many times it was ridiculous, a true perfectionist. Bruce is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Cool. Never met him but his tech advice was always practical, well written and useful. In fact, another useful article he wrote was on removing cams for shim replacement. I followed that and did my first valve adjustment recently on my 95 vfr. I found it on the Texas VFR Garage site which is archived via VFRWorld.

Tell him thanks.

• Member Contributer

Bruce in Tuscon was a fixture on the VFR List back in the day, but then he disappeared. Glad to hear he's still around!

Ciao,

Archived