Running Sport Tires On 4Th Gen

Guest daemontrym

Guest daemontrym

I have never ridden a bike with dedicated sport tires so I am kind of curious.
I have had Continental road attacks on both my R6 and my VFR. Then I put on a pilot power front with a road 2 rear until I caught a nail in the front tire. Then I just got a new road 2 for the front since they were on sale at cycle gear. I live in near phoenix in the middle of a lot of twisty roads. I like to ride to roosevelt dam on the opposite side of tortilla flats going towards globe and payson. My tires currently are going on 5 years old and according to the tire age thread I started and decline of traction thread I should replace them. I am wondering if anybody can give me any input on the Pirelli Rosso II's or the Pirellie Rosso Corsa on the VFR. I ride pretty conservatively, but the feel of the pilot power up front was so much better than the road 2 in my opinion. So I am wondering if the grass is truely greener on the other side. I think with dual compound tires now a days and the roads I ride on I think they will not goto waste. I don't commute on my vfr anymore so longevity is no longer an issue. I just want to get a nice sticky tire, but not one that is a full on track day tire that constant heat has to be held in.

I have been running Pilot Powers on mine until the current set.

I got a killer deal on Pilot Pures.

I will be using the Power 3 next.

The forth gen is the sportiest VFR of all.

Why not run sport tires.

As for wear, I get 1500-1800 miles on a set of tires, VFR or 848.

So any mileage over that is pretty good in my eyes.

Stick with Michelin and you will always have a huge smile under the helmet.

Bibendum is my best friend.

He can be yours too.

$T2eC16NHJGgFFmm4uc)!BSS,YuHQ+g~~60_57.J

• Member Contributer

Got a set of Powers on my 94 right now. The bike is braver than I am. I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face.

• Member Contributer

I'm running PR 3 in the front and PR 4 in the rear and they stick plenty good for my street pace( barely scraping my toe sliders) on my beater 94 VFR that I leave @ the coast. Today I did 2 laps from Valley Ford to Marshall on Hwy 1 then Marshall -Petaluma Rd, & onto Chelano Valley and back to Valley Ford on Middle rd., and I tickled my toe sliders numerous turns. But I did like the turn in & front feel better w/ PP's. I thought the PR's made it feel like a truck initially, but I've adapted. On my VFR RR , I'm running PP 3's after 2 sets of PP 2ct's. I ride that bike a lot more aggressively on local roads (icehouse, slypark, apple hill area) than I ride on the coast. I also have PR 2's on my 99 ZRX and they work almost as good as the PP's for somewhat aggressive riding. As you can see I'm a Michelin fan. A couple of buds that are still roadracing recommended I try the new Pirelli supersport tires on My VFR RR. They said there better than the PP 3's but those are more tire than I have talent and I just got the new ones scuffed in.

I'm running a Michelin power pure out back and a Michelin power one up front. More stick than I know what to do with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't know why I haven't tried full sport tires yet. I know the OEM tires that came on my R6S were garbage when I bought it from midsouth motoplex in clarksville.

I thought the dunlops qualifiers gave a very harsh ride and no front end feel at all. The bike felt like it wanted to keep falling and I had to do a constant push pull to get them to hold a line. I tried different suspension setups, tire pressures, and everything for the first 1500 miles. I couldn't get comfortable with them and put on a set of road attacks due to rave reviews and my experience with the tires that came new on my 04 Katana 750 I owned prior.

I was stationed at Ft. Campbell for 4 years and really miss the Clarksville area. I felt like it was in the middle of everything I liked when taking a road trip. I was 450 miles away from where I grew up (Chicago), 4 hours from Atlanta, couple hours away from Memphis, couple hours away from Louisville, and not too far away from the Dragon. I used to love going out Gate 10 on 101st Parkway and riding through land between the lakes. If I could afford to move there and find a decent job there I would in a heart beat.

I live near Phoenix now and I moved to be around the rest of my family after coming back from my second tour of Iraq. But, out here it just doesn't do it for me..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I am currently running PP front and PP2CT rear on my 4th gen and like the way she feels and looks.

so far 7,000km on the front tire and 10,000km on the rear. Still thread left.

Come hi-speed motorways or ...

Eau Rouge on public roads:

100kmh_zpse52eed41.jpg

70MPH allowed here.....

post-8974-0-12923400-1403860777.jpg

You should consider the Power 3. It is the replacement for the dated 2CT.

This is how Michelin is promoting it:

•2CT+ on rear tire enhances tread rigidity and cornering stability: Extends harder compound underneath the softer shoulder compound for added cornering stability – especially when accelerating out of turns.

•Casing profile optimized for excellent feedback and handling.

•All-new compounds for maximum wet grip: more than 4.5 seconds per lap faster on a wet track than MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.

•Semi slick tread design maximizes contact patch for excellent dry grip: more than 4 seconds faster on a dry track than MICHELIN® Pilot® Power 2CT tires.

•W-rated for speeds up to 168mph.

• Member Contributer

I usually averaged about 6k miles on most of my tires until I ran a set of Dunlop Qualifiers. I was seeing cords on the rear at 2800 miles. They were certainly sticky enough but I'm pretty sure you must have been able to see a continuous black streak on the road behind me as fast as they wore out. Keep your tire's life-span in mind when paying for the sticky stuff! New tires will come around much sooner than when running sport-touring rubber.

Archived