Strange Tapping Noise When Taking Off From A Stop

Guest xundercoverx

Guest xundercoverx

just recently i ran into this issue where in hearing a tapping noise when i take off from a stop im not entirely too sure what it is because it doesn't happen every time. it only does it once in first gear then everything is fine through the rest of the gears. if anyone can add some insight to my problems i would appreciate it.

• Member Contributer

Airbox flapper. Replace or file contacts on clutch switch.

I don't have a 3rd gen, but... did they even have any moving parts in the airbox? My 4th gen doesn't.

• Member Contributer

Airbox flapper. Replace or file contacts on clutch switch.

I don't have a 3rd gen, but... did they even have any moving parts in the airbox? My 4th gen doesn't.

Got me. I don't know. I was stuck in 5th gen mode.

• Member Contributer

So we got the airbox flapper ruled out.

Have you checked your chain? Some stuck links might make a sound like what your describing.

• Member Contributer

Looks for loose wheel weights also . I have particular brand of wheel weights that make a ticking sound when pulling off from a stop.

Just a thought ..

• Member Contributer

airbox is NOT the problem... :fing02:

check your chain and sprocket..make sure all the nuts are there..and that the cush drive is still tight.

brake pads and bolts

wheel weights

. :fing02:

is your head screwed on straight? had enough coffee?

if you dont, that can be a major problem! :goofy:

Found the culprit it was loose bolts on the rear sprocket nothing a little bit of Loctite and a quick torque couldn't fix

• Member Contributer

Found the culprit it was loose bolts on the rear sprocket nothing a little bit of Loctite and a quick torque couldn't fix

I also found a loose sprocket nut on my wife's VFR yesterday. Definitely a good reminder to check them often!

• Member Contributer

I have been noticing a very similar symptom on one of my 5th gens recently. Bet it's the same thing. Only noticed in takeoffs, first gear maneuvers.

I have been noticing a very similar symptom on one of my 5th gens recently. Bet it's the same thing. Only noticed in takeoffs, first gear maneuvers.

let us know what was the issue so we can help other people avoid any future problems

I also found a loose sprocket nut on my wife's VFR yesterday. Definitely a good reminder to check them often!

im glad i didnt hit up any canyons that could of been REEEEAAAALLLL bad

• Member Contributer

I made a cursory check of the rear sprocket and it appeared to be OK. Haven't had a chance to check the countershaft yet, but will report my findings when I have completed the inspection.

Archived