On Any Sunday: Coming This Fall

I saw it twice - once when it first came out (when I was just starting to ride, and motorcycles were swarming onto our shores from Japan), and again years later. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as it was about what we were experiencing.

Still haven't seen "easy Rider" though...

Never seen the original yet. Heard a lot of talk about it, but it seems....(out)dated to me. At least in my mind it does.

See it... yes it may be a snapshot in time, but it is sooo good.

• Member Contributer

Looks like an interesting movie. Think the thing I liked about the original was that it wasn't purely about racing, but about bikes in general. There are a handful of decent movies covering the racing aspect already.

wgregt - Do yourself a favor and watch it. And since you're in SOCAL, then go visit Malcom Smith at his dealership in Riverside. I know I would if I could.

My uncle and grandfather made my brother and I watch it when we were very young, and the movie was still new. It was life changing. Ever since I have been obsessed with motorcycles. Yes it is dated, but still one of the best movies ever made. But maybe it just makes me remember my uncle who died very young from cancer, and glad to be alive to ride motorcycles. I made my daughter watch it when she was (and is) very young, and she is already asking when she can ride on my motorcycle. I own the DVD, so maybe we can have a viewing party at my house for those who live in SoCal before the new one comes out?

The original was a classic. If they can live up to it with the new one, they done good.

There is no cure for multiple bike disorder, I'm glad to say. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Clearly the technology in the original film is dated (though seeing vintage bikes is cool), but the passion for riding is timeless. In some ways they seemed to have more passion for it. I can't think of a single present day actor that lines up and races against every day working Joe's in an enduro the way Steve McQueen did. In that day riding was more ubiquitous than it is now - it seemed like everyone had bikes then. There were lots of grass roots out door motocross tracks, hill climbs, enduros, trials events, speedway races - all over the place . . . things you don't see much of these days.

• Member Contributer

Greg, Greg, Greg! Easy, buddy! We're not talking about 'some old movie' here, LOL! OAS is a mile stone that inspired this passion for motorcycling in many of us "old" guys and made it 'ok' to want to be a motorcycle geek when we were in our teens and earlier. The movie presented some of the heroes and icons of motorcycle racing to us, and the whole world, and made it cool to just be a motorcyclist. It smashed the old "bad biker" stereotype, and gave us the courage to say to Mom and Dad, "...yeah, I'm gonna get a motorcycle...", and deal with all the crap that THAT caused, hahhaha! We need to take Ridered up on his offer. You can be the guest of honor. :tongue:

Kevin

OAS is a part of any motorcyclist well rounded education.

A must see, ffs. :goofy:

Archived