Recommended Replacement Clutch

TNRabbit

Looks like my clutch is on it's last legs at 38,000 miles; before the bike is warmed up thoroughly, it will sometimes slip slightly in 2nd or 3rd gear at full throttle acceleration. Doesn't seem to happen at operating temp, YET.

What is the preferred replacement clutch pack? OEM Honda?

Make sure clutch line is bled with new fluid.

If that's good you may want to take out your clutch, and depending on wear, you might be able to just surface scrub your plates and steels and put them back in.

If your clutch is legit worn, then I would recommend stock or Vesrah, I'm sure stock is good and the owner of a race shopped steered me away from EBC and to Vesrah, and I trust him.

I also upgraded springs to stronger ones, but that might not be necessary. I don't know if the springs get weak at those miles, but it might not be a bad thing to replace while your in there.

• Member Contributer

BLS did a how-to on rejuvenating a slipping clutch a while back.

• Member Contributer

I put a pair of EBC springs and clutch plates on my wife's 5th gen and it feels exactly like mine does (hers has 76000 miles, mine has 6000..).

If you're looking for OEM quality, EBC is quite nice.

• Member Contributer

This sounds more like the slave sticking, mine does the exact same. I finally got my clutch line so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to cleaning the slave, master new line and bleeding. Hopefully the clutch isnt glazed yet from the slipping on my end. Let us know if it fixes it

I fitted a Barnett kevlar clutch with heavy duty springs into my 750 at 80,000km, and it hooked up so well that the bike would lift the front tyre when WOT in first gear. Never did that with the original clutch!

VFR is a post 100,000 mile clutch (easily), more than likely the fluid was allowed to sludge in the slave unit , and now the clutch having issues.

Also the top gears stress the clutch the most, so it should be slipping there too

Did that change clutch lever pull effort at all?

Not that I noticed. But I overhauled the slave and master assemblies at the same time, so probably reduced stiction there which would have helped.

Archived