Oem Vs. Ebc Pads

duccmann

• Member Contributer

I've got HH both front and rear and also steel braided lines and I can stop just using my rear brakes in reasonable short distances going street speeds (35/45 MPH). This applies to both gens but my 6 Gen seems to stop sooner with less foot pressure.

• Member Contributer

I've used EBC HH pads on a lot of my previous bikes and the only negative thing I have to say is they have terrible initial bite in the rain. I live somewhere very rainy and it's enough to make me consider either OEM or another brand of pad.

Suggestions?

• Member Contributer

I run OEM pads on my bike, and had a full set of EBC HHs on my wifes' bike. I ended up swapping her rear to OEM as the EBC HHs were way too grabby for the rear. The pads were worn anyways, and at their service limits. OEM rear pad really eased up that rear to be less grabby.

I put new EBC HHs on her fronts, and they've been fine. They were also at the service limit. They're a bit more grabby than my brakes, so we're considering moving to full OEM all the way around next time the pads need changed. The grabbyness isn't confidence inspiring for her.

So just talked with my guy at Wheels In Motion and he said $35 per set of the HH and $14 per caliber to install. Think I may just do them my self and save the $42. Do I need a tool to spread the pads ? and wounder if Harbor Freight has it. Where to buy, fer sure not at a Honda stealership

So D....is there a part # for those ebc hh pads?....ya Im lazy...just woke up. If I dont talk with ya by Fri you and Long have a safe trip and raise a glass ( or can ) for me and say shit howdy to the pack

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

So just talked with my guy at Wheels In Motion and he said $35 per set of the HH and $14 per caliber to install. Think I may just do them my self and save the $42. Do I need a tool to spread the pads ? and wounder if Harbor Freight has it. Where to buy, fer sure not at a Honda stealership

The only tool you need to spread the pads is a small pry bar between the old brake pads. They're already being replaced so no worries about damaging them.

Have you had experience servicing motorcycle braking systems duccmann? If not, paying a qualified repairman $14/caliper to replace the pads may not be such a bad way for you to go-especially if you may not own or have access to a set of good quality-tools which includes torque wrench and a hand-operated vacuum pump for bleeding the system. Keep in mind that a experienced professional might recognize issues that may need attention that someone who may have little wrench-turning experience could miss.

Also note that when brake pads are replaced is also generally a good time for brake and clutch fluids to be replaced, & these systems flushed & bled. Master cylinders and brake calipers should also be inspected, cleaned & serviced as required. Note that since your VFR800FI is equipped with linked brakes the bleeding procedure is more complicated than average and you will need to consult a service manual for the recommended sequence.

Please don't take chances by working on your motorcycle's braking system if you may lack the experience, tools and knowledge to do the job properly. Better to spend the $$ to have a professional do the work.

The only tool you need to spread the pads is a small pry bar between the old brake pads. They're already being replaced so no worries about damaging them.

I've always just used an appropriate sized C-clamp, just compress the pistons in before you take off the old pad.

This has been with cars, but I don't know why it would be any different once you have the caliper off.

+1

I also recommend carefully cleaning all exposed sections of the caliper pistons using brake cleaner and a soft brush so that the accumulated gunk on these surfaces will not damage the piston seals and contaminate the brake fluid when the pistons are pushed back in the calipers.

• Member Contributer

I've always just used an appropriate sized C-clamp, just compress the pistons in before you take off the old pad.

This has been with cars, but I don't know why it would be any different once you have the caliper off.

Yep; same thing. I lack an appropriately sized c-clamp though so I just muscle it with a pry bar before taking off the old pads.

• Member Contributer

So D....is there a part # for those ebc hh pads?....ya Im lazy...just woke up. If I dont talk with ya by Fri you and Long have a safe trip and raise a glass ( or can ) for me and say shit howdy to the pack

According to the spread sheet I downloaded from EBC, here is the info you need. (Note that this info is from 2012, but I don't believe the part numbers have changed)

For the 2002-2005. The fronts are Part #FA261HH (Need two sets, which is 4 pads. Each set is 2 pads)

For the 2002-2005. The Rear is Part #FA261HH

For the 2006-2009. The fronts are Part #FA388HH (Need two sets, which is 4 pads. Each set is 2 pads)

For the 2006-2009. The Rear is Part #FA261HH

Cheers,

D

Thanks D

And smooth..I always live by the motto... don't be cheap in the wrong way....me thinks shop will do it...42 bucks aint no big deal....I was going to take it to a buds and do it but has only hardleys.....nope..nada...Thanks

• Member Contributer

Another for ebc hh. Why would the part # be diffirent for 06-09?

My guess is that they changed the front calipers. What the differences is, I couldn't tell you. I do know that my 5 Gen uses the same pads front and rear, like the 2002-2005 bikes do.

Archived