Hello, From Central Florida

Guest DrJay

Guest DrJay

I Started riding on the street at age 14 in 1957 on an NSU Superfox. At 16 I got a Triumph 3T which Bob Leppan (of Gyronaut fame) built the engine for and which I rode till I graduated high school. I quit riding through college and grad school, but got back to riding a 650 Triumph in '72 after I got my first real job as a University professor. I presently ride only a couple of thousand miles a year, mainly on country roads. I've recently turned 70 and am slow and cautious now, but I still love riding and tinkering with bikes. All told I've been riding for 56 years with a 9 year hiatus.

I bought a '97 VFR in 2010 and joined VFRW at that time. This Februrary, after my retirement from my clinical psychology practice in October, I bought a non-running '86 VF500F with the promise to my wife that it would be a low budget project for a motor-head who loves working in his shop. It is running great now (albeit with some worrisome can chain noise) but still needs lots of detailing. I love V4 engines and am having a lot of fun learning about the Honda V4 idiosyncracies and lore. I'm probably more of a tinkerer than rider, but any time I don't ride for a couple of weeks and the weather is nice, I get a craving to get out on two wheels for an hour or two.

The VFRW site has been instrumental in getting my little 500 functioning, but there is a ton of knowledge here also and a more polite tone which I appreciate. I'll remain active on VFRW but hope to become a useful member here.

• Member Contributer

Welcome!

I sometimes get over to Brian's BBQ in Deland... but won't be riding for a couple of months until the heat and love bugs go away. :happy:

Yes, I'm taking the 500 out in a few minutes to flush the radiator and I'm not looking forward to the love bugs!

• Member Contributer

Welcome! It seems your experience is pretty common place, so I haven't really gone other to the "other" forum yet. Everyone's been so nice here!

Looking forward to some pictures of your V4s!

Welcome aboard from Orlando. I'm currently attending UCF and finishing up my last couple classes of my mechanical engineering degree. What do you teach?

I retired from my clinical psychology private practice and teaching as an adjunct psychology professor at Stetson last October. I was full time faculty at Stetson from '72 through '79 and taught for 1 year at Michigan State before that.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from Barcelona!!!

We need pictures of course!! w/o it you are a simply an imagination! (surely there must be a more clinical name for that condition :goofy: )

• Member Contributer

Welcome! Clinical psychology huh? You should have a field day here... Pics please

Archived