Fitment Of Header Pipes-1998 Vfr800

Guest cwok80

Guest cwok80

was hoping someone can give me a quick answer to to this.

Trying to get my bike to a stock exhaust, was told I am missing the header pipes.

Will the pipes from a 2000 or 2001 model fit my 1998, according to the microfiche sites The parts have different part numbers so 1998 pipe has a differnt number than 2000. Is this just honda naming convention or will they not fit, as I see some pipes available on ebay but don't want to buy unless I'm sure I can use them.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

What exhaust is on it now? Most just replace the stock can that I've seen, and are not full systems.

98-99 does not have a catalytic converter, and 00-01 does That probably explains the part # difference.

• Member Contributer

I have a nice, brand new, never-fitted MOTAD stainless steel replacement exhaust system in my garage in California I'd be happy to trade for your tatty old Erion... :biggrin:

Actually I already have an Erion, and it cost me quite a lot of dosh. So I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of it if you're not happy with it.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

The later model headers also have the O2 sensor stub outs, which could also account for the part number difference. Primarily it's the lack of the catalytic converter that gives them away visually.

• Member Contributer

iirc, the header pipes used with catalytic converters are a slightly larger diameter than the non-cat header pipes. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be here shortly to correct this

Edit - if you have a full Erion racing system, wow! Complete systems for the VFR are very rare, about half the board would be interested in purchasing it. Including me :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I'll also jump in line to purchase it. I'm local, so no shipping bs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Jim, you are wrong, it is the other way round...catted headers are smaller diameter than non-cat headers.

To the OP, what are you looking to change when going back to a stock exhaust?

Concours show quality?

Quieter?

Different look?

The exhaust you have is extremely rare and while you could keep the great header section and replace the can (muffler) the Erion system would require a different mid-pipe as the exit of the Erion is at a slightly different angle when compared to stock.

I have a stock 5th gen system headers to exhaust that I could swap you. :wink:

Seriously if you are set on stock, pm me.

I'm looking for quieter and the previous owner had the stock can and headers, just missing the two pipes. Hoping to sell the erion system to help offset the purchase price, along with the extra corbin seat I got

• Member Contributer

The two rear down pipes are available from Honda. Do you need the part numbers?

Just wanted to know if pipes from a 2000 model would fit, as its a different part number than one from a 1998. Reason for asking is that pipes available on ebay are from a 2000

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to know if pipes from a 2000 model would fit, as its a different part number than one from a 1998. Reason for asking is that pipes available on ebay are from a 2000
You should be able to retrofit an older model with newer headers but you would have to plug the O2 sensor wholes and cannot go the other way round unless you put resistors on the O2 sensor leads.

• Member Contributer

You will need to get the pipes for a 98-99 .

The header pipes for the 00-01 are slightly smaller diameter .

Either full setup will bolt up, but the parts are not interchangeable between them.

Does that sorta make sense?

• Member Contributer

I mean I may be interested in a full system swap, depending on hearing/seeing them in person. Obviously some additional bartering may be required on my end. I'm local to OC so just let me know. :)

• Member Contributer

Jim, you are wrong, it is the other way round...catted headers are smaller diameter than non-cat headers.

Thanks CC, my memory isn't completely gone, but far enough gone to get me into trouble. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks CC, my memory isn't completely gone, but far enough gone to get me into trouble. :goofy:

Ditto

• Member Contributer

thanks for the info. I'm hoping to have the exhaust on sale here in a week or so.

I've got a complete 5th gen exhaust, catless with a perfect muffler, to trade + cash

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I have a nice, brand new, never-fitted MOTAD stainless steel replacement exhaust system in my garage in California I'd be happy to trade for your tatty old Erion... :biggrin:

Actually I already have an Erion, and it cost me quite a lot of dosh. So I'm sure you'll have no problem getting rid of it if you're not happy with it.

Ciao,

What's that address ?

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Whoops... Right, what I meant was that at one time I had such a thing, but it's not there any more. Must have fallen down the back of the sofa... :wink:

Ciao,

Archived