Msf Rider Coach!

• Member Contributer

I just wanted to get on here and brag a little. This past Sunday I successfully completed the MSF and KMP Rider Coach training courses at Eastern Kentucky University. Most of my riding thus far in 14' has been on a 5 acre paved driving range and around and through little cones. But, it's been a blast! And a lot of hard work. Waiting on my official cards to show up in the mail, but I do have my certificates and I'm already scheduled to teach three classes through June. The final stage of the certification process is teaching an actual course which, I did this past Sunday and I must say it was absolutely amazing. Watching 9 people who looked like they would knock the bikes over Saturday morning when they first got on them go to riding (basically) figure 8s and offset weaves and emergency stopping in turns while laughing and smiling, well folks if you love motorcycling, let's just say it was one of the coolest things ever!

I've finally found a way to get someone to pay ME to ride a motorcycle!!! In addition, my motorcycle "spending" is now a tax deduction!!! WOOOT!

I'm not sure if there are other Coaches on VFRD, but if there are drop me a line!

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10277847_10203475452437687_2360864913803298315_n.jpgm

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10289911_10203475452877698_6787940119625314411_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Excellent, Kevin! :fing02:

Good to see that dedication to the sport and society. Seems like a job sometimes, but mostly it's just fun and amazingly rewarding. Since I started riding, ummm... a few years ago, I always enjoyed helping others who were interested to learn how to ride. It wasn't until many years later I decided to become a rider coach, and did it for about 10 years. I hope to do it again soon. Both street and dirt classes are just a blast to teach, and having students come back and say, " I was up in the canyons with my friends last weekend and your voice in my head saved my life in a corner. Thank you!", is the best feeling, ever!. Good luck with your endeavor. I'm sure you already are a better rider;teaching is the best way to learn.

Enjoyed some of your posts on the site. "Life is good..." especially hit me in the heart. Thanks.

Kevin

• Member Contributer

I have done the Canadian version for a few years and yes it is rewarding as well as puts a little funds in the bike budget , we are also able to test and sign for M license in Ontario so the course becomes a 1 stop center and seems to work well.

I did a summer of training others for the equivalent course here at our local safety council (Calgary Safety Council). It's a blast to teach others how to ride. It's also cool to see those who were in the classes I've taught continue to ride for years after - it changed their lives and how they use their vacations and free time. Pretty awesome feeling to play some role in that process.

• Member Contributer

Congrats Kevin...I am thinking about doing that with another organization.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin - totally "off topic"

I need help planning a ride through KY My first thought was to follow some of your rides that I used to check out on "group rider.com" That site is gone!! HELP, PLEASE.

Buzz

hcope1944@gmail.com

(205)567-2022

• 3 months later...

im going to be going sometime this year now that the new fiscal year budget is in. Im lucky. The Army is paying for me to go. then ill be going to PA to get Military Sport Riders Course certified.

Archived