5Th Gen Battery Fitment-Yuasa Ytz14S

TNRabbit

Looking at a Yuasa YTZ14S to replace my current battery. I see some have this model in their 6th Gen bikes; I assume it will fit in the 5th Gen models?

• Member Contributer

Yes, it is shorter though. I put a small piece of wood underneath it so the posts stuck up enough for proper cable attachment. Additionally, I made a "handle" out of double thickness duct tape to help remove the battery. Without the handle there is almost nothing to grab when pulling the battery out.

I think the 5th is a different size but may work as noted above, in the 6thgen the ytz14 a direct fit, size is the same as original ytz12 . However some aftermarket YTZ14's, may not adhere to yuasa standard dimensions. So what I do , is don't buy anything a cant confirm the dimensions. I have a scorpion YTZ14 which is the same as yuasa dimensions. So far its on par with the previous Yuasa 14 Ive run, but Ive not hit the mid 40 thousand mile range to confirm, as far as life, it is a couple years old, and has been flawless, with the exception of needing the yuasa nuts and screws. the scorpion came with cheap nuts.

3/4" shorter. Width and depth are the same.

Cut a piece of wood 3/4" thick and drop it into the battery tray, then put the '14 on top of that.

Problem solved.

I used the old battery bottom as a template to mark the spacer, and just sawed slightly inside the lines to ensure it wouldn't get stuck in the battery box.

• Member Contributer

I think the YTZ-14S Motobatts (the yellow ones) come with plastic spacers. Or I'm imagining things again...

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

My battery puked today, despite having been on the Tender for the winter. (Yeah, I'm not a cold-weather rider.)

I'm going to have to look into this YTZ14S....

Yuasa's guide, though, lists YTZ12S. What's the scoop on the 14S? :unsure2:

I ended up getting the MMG Lithium Ion battery of Amazon.com for $99. 290 CCA, holds a steady 13.4 volts off charge & charges 14 5 volts with a new MOSFET R/R. Cranks with authority & only weighs about 20% of the weight of the lead acid Walmart special that was in there before.

My battery puked today, despite having been on the Tender for the winter. (Yeah, I'm not a cold-weather rider.)

I'm going to have to look into this YTZ14S....

Yuasa's guide, though, lists YTZ12S. What's the scoop on the 14S? :unsure2:

The -14s has more Zolts

Archived