Owner Of A New 2010 Honda Vfr1200

Hello!

Last week my wife brought me a 2010 vfr1200 with only 550km on it (as a surprise birthday present)

With such low KM, it is in Near new condition.

I saw it in the shop 3 months ago and she surpised me with it on my birthday.

It is manual and came with factory heated grips and center stand from factory.

I am a tall 193cm/6ft 3" and don't like riding styles of supersports.

I've been on the forum for a while, as my previously bike was a 2002 honda vfr800 with 102000km. (Still own this looking to sell it)

My 800 was bulletproof. Clocked up 35000km in 5 years of ownership.

Most of the maintenance I did myself.

After now reading this forum on the 1200 I am in two minds, will regret the decision? I hope to the heavens it doesn't fall apart.

Is there really something to worry about with the first release of this bike? Like 1st/2nd gear power limiter and any maintenance issues etc.

Drive shaft failures etc?

Sorry to be morbid but after reading on here I am a little concerned.

Was a 2012+ a better option?

Price she paid was good given the extremely low km and near new condition of it.

On a positive note- today was my first ride with a full tank. It only lasted 130km from full and I have only 2 bars left. Is this normal for a new bike to use this much?

I was a little heavy on the throttle but not insane.

It rode very smooth with so much torque. I am adjusting to the gear ratios,so much difference from the 800.

Thanks everyone.

Can post pictures if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Ride the bike around and see if you like it before buying into the internet hype. I bought a leftover 2010 last summer with 0 km on it, I had to add the center stand, sent it to the dyno with a bazazz to sort out some minor low end fueling issues, but have been quite happy with it.

Wow. What a gift. I was lucky to get a birthday card from my wife, before she became an ex. I just got a new VFR1200 myself and definitely noticed the difference in gearing compared to my 99 VFR. Any bike you research on the internet will have a host of complaints. You don't hear much from the vast majority of happy owners who are out riding.

Yes, ride it first and don't pre-judge.

Here are arguably 2 of the biggest issues:

1. The 1st-2nd issue. I won't argue with those who are bothered by it. I will only tell you that it rarely bothers me. Accelerating from a standing start, I'm only below 4-5k RPM for a very brief period, and I rarely find the need to do jack rabbit starts. Not with the VFR1200 anyway. I have other bikes for that sort of shenanigans. Get that V4 into the meat of the power band, and licking thru 2nd gear rarely see below 4-5k either. IF I choose to short shift, well... then I'm obviously not in a power mood anyhow. Not sure why I would want to short shift into 2nd then whack the throttle. At speed... if I'm in "spirited riding" mode, I keep the RPM high in the power band regardless of which gear I'm in - as one should on any sportbike - so again, why would I drop down to low revs in 2nd to look for big power/torque? Again, that's just how I ride. To me, a big heavy bird like the VFR1200 needs to be ridden smooth to go fast.

2. Low speed bucking bronco. Yes, it is there, and the VFR1200 isn't the only bike to exhibit this trait. I got used to it and soon it became 2nd nature. Here's a good description from a Ducati review:

"The first part of our route was through traffic infested town streets and this new Monster, like all previous Monsters, is a bit of an art to ride at these speeds. The new wet-clutch action is very light, the bite and take-up extremely consistent and progressive. It’s just as well, really because to ride the 1100 Evo at these speeds you’re constantly having to dip and slip the clutch to avoid that clacka,clacka chain slap that’s incited by every power pulse. You can hold a gear too low but I found it calmer and smoother just to ride with two fingers on the clutch to smooth out this drivetrain snatch. They’ve always been like this, haven’t they? Honda’s VFR1200 is the same. At low speeds you have to ride the clutch to avoid the drivetrain shunt in the shaft drive assembly. The one I ran last year obviously stood me in good stead for this new Monster. Anyone who's done a bit of trials riding will find this style of low-speed riding second nature."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-ducati-monster-1100-evo-review/17772-2.html#ixzz30CtRuT9J

• Member Contributer

I agree with spinolater and Volfy, I wouldn't get too worked up over the comments on the internet. I was really worried about buying my DCT based on all the chatter. I finally convinced myself Honda wouldn't have risked their rep if it was that bad. That and my Gen4 is the best overall bike I've ever owned. So, I took advantage of all the paranoia and waited till they dropped to my price point. Found a "new" 4-year old 2010 DCT with warranty etc. at a dealer about a month ago. I've put over 1000 miles on it over open road, mountain roads and my freeway commute, and so far it is everything I had hoped for - I couldn't be happier. It is a tiny bit finicky at parking lot speeds, and I have noticed a very minor bit of surging and hesitation, but in no way is it not manageable simply by being smooth and aware - not even an issue for me. I could see if your throttle free play was sloppy it would exacerbate the effect. Outside of that, I'd wager the F is easier than the DCT under these conditions since you can clutch it out somewhat.

I'd also bet you'll be soon posting how much you like the bike...

I added Helibars and adj. windscreen, made it perfect for me.

BTW, great wife!

• Member Contributer

Yes, ride it first and don't pre-judge.

Here are arguably 2 of the biggest issues:

1. The 1st-2nd issue. I won't argue with those who are bothered by it. I will only tell you that it rarely bothers me. Accelerating from a standing start, I'm only below 4-5k RPM for a very brief period, and I rarely find the need to do jack rabbit starts. Not with the VFR1200 anyway. I have other bikes for that sort of shenanigans. Get that V4 into the meat of the power band, and licking thru 2nd gear rarely see below 4-5k either. IF I choose to short shift, well... then I'm obviously not in a power mood anyhow. Not sure why I would want to short shift into 2nd then whack the throttle. At speed... if I'm in "spirited riding" mode, I keep the RPM high in the power band regardless of which gear I'm in - as one should on any sportbike - so again, why would I drop down to low revs in 2nd to look for big power/torque? Again, that's just how I ride. To me, a big heavy bird like the VFR1200 needs to be ridden smooth to go fast.

2. Low speed bucking bronco. Yes, it is there, and the VFR1200 isn't the only bike to exhibit this trait. I got used to it and soon it became 2nd nature. Here's a good description from a Ducati review:

"The first part of our route was through traffic infested town streets and this new Monster, like all previous Monsters, is a bit of an art to ride at these speeds. The new wet-clutch action is very light, the bite and take-up extremely consistent and progressive. It’s just as well, really because to ride the 1100 Evo at these speeds you’re constantly having to dip and slip the clutch to avoid that clacka,clacka chain slap that’s incited by every power pulse. You can hold a gear too low but I found it calmer and smoother just to ride with two fingers on the clutch to smooth out this drivetrain snatch. They’ve always been like this, haven’t they? Honda’s VFR1200 is the same. At low speeds you have to ride the clutch to avoid the drivetrain shunt in the shaft drive assembly. The one I ran last year obviously stood me in good stead for this new Monster. Anyone who's done a bit of trials riding will find this style of low-speed riding second nature."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-ducati-monster-1100-evo-review/17772-2.html#ixzz30CtRuT9J

I almost sold mine due to the bucking bronco action in parking lots and low speed riding. After a little work and some help from another member on the forum, I think I will keep her for a while now, at least until I get a chance to ride the new 800. I challenge anyone that has a 1200 and is able to swing through OKC to PM me. I will be happy to let them ride mine. She is smooth as silk and I can idle through the parking lot with no fuss. No throttle at all, just slowly release the clutch and let the big girl do her thing, no drive shaft clunking or jerking at all. Did I say smooth as silk.

First off FRICKEN Awesome Mate! Great bike and even better Wife, congrats on both and enjoy them both!!!!!!!!! :beer:

I road HS's 2010 and really liked it especially the engine.

BR

e5utu5yg.jpg
There she is everyone. Very happy with the ride last night. It has so much low down torque and is very refined.

I am looking to buy a rear trunk for this new bike, I am used to a 51 litre ventura bag for day rides on the VFR800. I think the factory honda 31 litre will be too small for me, even though it looks fantastic.

Anyone got a pic with a rear givi unit? about 45litre-51litre? thanks all!!

Dont worry mate... you can read from websites as much different opinions as much as there are chinese....

Ive ridden mine 40tkm and it works like a new one (2011 modell). This summer Im going to the Alps again and will have another 10 tkm more

You have now a good and reliable bike and just little tuning, if you like, you get it even better. There aint no bike that dont need little tuning.....

Have to say...nice birthdaypresent.... :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I don't have a Givi on this one, opted for a Coocase S50 Astra topcase.

post-72-0-75833300-1398798309.jpg

It has a liner, electrics, alarm, remote lock key fob. So far I like it. I have the Honda saddlebags.

post-72-0-59662500-1398798378.jpg

I to have a new 2010 DCT. This is my all time favorite bike. The power,braking,and handling are excellent.It puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. I'm keeping this one for along time :biggrin:

I don't have a Givi on this one, opted for a Coocase S50 Astra topcase.

attachicon.gifIMG_2744.JPG

It has a liner, electrics, alarm, remote lock key fob. So far I like it. I have the Honda saddlebags.

attachicon.gifIMG_2745.JPG

colour of the box actually suits with the black and grey. Looks great. Going to sort out a givi in similiar colours.

Congratulations on the purchase.

I've had my 2010 about 18 months and put ~20,000km's on it I have had zero mechanical issues.

I have a Z-Bomb for the 1st/2nd restrictions, as other have said its a bit of a non issue, but for me and my style of riding it greatly annoyed me coming out of a very tight hairpin and up a steep hill and not having all the power available.

as for your fuel gauge its something you have to get used to 130km with 2 bars still showing means you still had about another 100-150km still in it.

When the last bar starts flashing you still have 4.5 litres in the tank and even flogging it thats a good 50-60km.

Where about's in Australia are you?

I've had my 2010 about 18 months and put ~20,000km's on it I have had zero mechanical issues.

I have a Z-Bomb for the 1st/2nd restrictions, as other have said its a bit of a non issue, but for me and my style of riding it greatly annoyed me coming out of a very tight hairpin and up a steep hill and not having all the power available.

as for your fuel gauge its something you have to get used to 130km with 2 bars still showing means you still had about another 100-150km still in it.

When the last bar starts flashing you still have 4.5 litres in the tank and even flogging it thats a good 50-60km.

Thanks for the reply. I was flashing yesterday and abput 20km away from a servo. Made it. Was nervous though. I'm in Melbourne, whay about yourself? I am finding first and second have plenty of power for my needs. Coming from the vfr800 with vtec it is much of a muchness. The 1200 has plentiful torque for my needs.

Thanks for the reply. I was flashing yesterday and abput 20km away from a servo. Made it. Was nervous though. I'm in Melbourne, whay about yourself? I am finding first and second have plenty of power for my needs. Coming from the vfr800 with vtec it is much of a muchness. The 1200 has plentiful torque for my needs.

I'm in south west Sydney so wrong state :(

when you fill up with the last bar flashing take note of how many litres you put in, i was riding this morning with the last bar flashing when i filled up still had 3.5L in the tank.

Don't believe all the negative BS. I've got nearly 30K miles on my 2010 and it still makes me smile every time.

I get about 41MPG riding two up and up to about 45 solo. What I love is that I never see another one at the gas station.

Good point. What's the size of the tank? I got 14.2 litres in.

18.5L so you still had 4.3L so probably another 50kms or more in the tank

Don't believe all the negative BS. I've got nearly 30K miles on my 2010 and it still makes me smile every time.

I get about 41MPG riding two up and up to about 45 solo. What I love is that I never see another one at the gas station.

This is my favourite thing, the bike is unique.

About a month ago, I fueled up to 18.488 liters/ 4.88 Gallons (335KM or 208 miles), I don't know if it holds more that the stated 18.5 liters. Low fuel light started blinking and went over 60 KM before fueling.

Current mileage 117,000 KM or 72,700 miles.

Failure to date

1. U joint replaced at 94,000 KM, I don't think shaft drive is ideal, if you ride aggressively.

2. brake caliper seal replaced, seized piston and distorted 2 left brake rotors.

3. rear pre-load adjuster seized at 1st year of ownership.

• Member Contributer

That's funny, no compression adjustment on the rear shock, for that matter, there is no compression adjustment on the front either.

• 1 month later...

First Welcome to the site VFR1200 DU, Having the 10 as well since 2011 ive not had one problem. Being tall as you are I would bet the larger bike would be a better fit for ya.

Ive done several things to mine to lighten her up like New exhaust can ,Shorai's liteweight battery (forget the composition) and a few other things that escape me right now.

I wanna say the weight savings is close to13 lbs maybe. I also had an 800 and never looked back. also put lower and a bit more forward foot pegs on mine

which someone taller might appreciate. You are gonna Love that machine!

Archived