Input On Hard Luggage For 2012 Vfr1200 Dct

VFR-SPORT

• Member Contributer

I am thinking about buying a 2012 VFR1200. It only has 3900 kms on it for less than $12,000 CDN. It's either that or a 2009 ST1300PA from the USA. The bike currently does not have hard luggage on it. Would it be better to get the OEM hard luggage at 29 L and 31L for the top box or get the Givi V35 cases and a similar size top box from Givi? I enjoyed the 35L cases my old 2007 VFR800. They had plenty of room but once I put a 45L Givi top box on the VFR800 there was more than enough room. Just need some feedback form VFR1200 owners.

Stan

• Member Contributer

Big feature for me was not having to add the extra mounting hardware for non factory bags. It makes for a way more integrated look. Put Kappa (pretty similar to Givi) bags on wife's 1200 and in my opinion does not look as nice. We did that because factory bags in blue were not available and we had a bike trip to go on. No real noticeable difference in terms of space between the two.

The oem bags have mounts that are integral with the bodywork - no unsightly mounts when not using the bags.

They're also heat shielded on the pipe side.

I like the looks of them overall better than Givi - but Givi makes good stuff as well, I've had their oem bags on Guzzi and loved 'em.

P1030826_zps1aea987f.jpg

Though I have the V35, if I had it to do over again I'd probably go factory. I have the SW Motech racks that are quick-release and leave almost no trace when they're off.

My main thinking was that I could transfer the bags between bikes very easily (I still had the V-Strom and the VFR800 at the time). Now that doesn't really help me much. I'd say if you can find them for a reasonable price, go with the factory bags. My 2 [no longer minted Canadian] pennies.

Here, mounted:

IMG_1884_zps6d044290.jpg

Here, racks removed (you can see a small black tab near the passenger peg):

IMG_0549_zps4691ecb6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Funny, I finally bought the Gen7 specifically because it had smaller nicely integrated bags. Two reasons, I never travel for more than 3-4 days and can pack all I need in the factory cases. I also split traffic a lot in my commute...don't need the extra girth to deal with too. Here's my bike:

post-29709-0-55675000-1397616560.jpg

I have V35s and I like them a lot. One of the big reasons for going with them was the fact that my X-11 sized XL helmet fit in it... though just barely. Now that I have switched to a Neotec as my street helmet, and I hang both a Uclear HBC-100+ and an JVC GC-XA1 on it, there is no way the whole thing will fit in any saddlebag. My laptop backpack barely fits in the V35, so that's still a big plus over the OEM bags.

Overall, I still favor the V35s over OEM, though it is a bit less compelling.

OEM saddle bags and GIVI 45L Top case. I was able to pack a weeks worth of underwear, socks and other assorted walking around clothes in the saddle bags and the top case had extra gear, sweatshirts, tools and such. Plenty of room when you only have to pack for yourself. If I was riding 2-up and needed to pack for two, it still would have been do-able... just might have needed to leave the extra gear at home.

I'd go with OEM bags if you can find them.

photo_zps59942745.jpg

• Member Contributer

The oem bags have mounts that are integral with the bodywork - no unsightly mounts when not using the bags.

They're also heat shielded on the pipe side.

I like the looks of them overall better than Givi - but Givi makes good stuff as well, I've had their oem bags on Guzzi and loved 'em.

P1030826_zps1aea987f.jpg

That blue is a stunner!! I have yet to see the blue in person....blue will be the rarest of 1200's ( heck in my state I've never seen another 1200 on the open road)

IMHO factory bags are too small and awkwardly shaped. Hard to fit anything in there. I got rid of my entire set and will soon be installing a set of SHAD luggage. Yes the shad has external racks but I don't mind the aesthetic. Not to mention racks make good lashing points when you want to strap something down to the seat. Function over fashion for me I guess...

I used to think that if I were flying solo, I'd go for the factory cases for the lack of brackets. But I often travel for a week with the wife, so factory cases are too small. Additionally, I've grown kind of fond of how the lines of the Givis flow with the bike, and actually like the look better than the oem (just MHO)...unless you're standing directly behind the bike, then the Givis, (with Givi brackets) look absolutely enormous! But they do haul a lot of crap, which keeps the wife happy when we're traveling. I did just recently take the side cases and brackets off, just for a change of pace. The wife hasn't been riding with me yet this season, and I have a pretty nice tail pack that's been sitting on a shelf in a closet for awhile now. So at least for a little while, I'm running case-less, with the tail pack strapped to the pillion seat. A little tough to swing a leg over (I'm only 5'8"), but not too bad. Like I said, just a change of pace. I'll be putting the Givis back on next month before the TexasMac trip to Deal's Gap. Riding down from Ohio, so I'll want to take a few things along.

I have a 2010 vfr1200f with the factory hard bags and for me they are good size.. I can put full size helmet in all 3 of them. And the top case have a little more room for groceries, they do cost a lot more but they look a lot better

I used to think that if I were flying solo, I'd go for the factory cases for the lack of brackets. But I often travel for a week with the wife, so factory cases are too small. Additionally, I've grown kind of fond of how the lines of the Givis flow with the bike, and actually like the look better than the oem (just MHO)...unless you're standing directly behind the bike, then the Givis, (with Givi brackets) look absolutely enormous! But they do haul a lot of crap, which keeps the wife happy when we're traveling. I did just recently take the side cases and brackets off, just for a change of pace. The wife hasn't been riding with me yet this season, and I have a pretty nice tail pack that's been sitting on a shelf in a closet for awhile now. So at least for a little while, I'm running case-less, with the tail pack strapped to the pillion seat. A little tough to swing a leg over (I'm only 5'8"), but not too bad. Like I said, just a change of pace. I'll be putting the Givis back on next month before the TexasMac trip to Deal's Gap. Riding down from Ohio, so I'll want to take a few things along.

Just make the wife carry her own crap...

1073998_10103631640889480_2005516934_o_z

Just make the wife carry her own crap...

:fing02:

I ride solo, so no worries there. My main problem is not how much stuff I can carry, but what size I can carry. I've only done weekend tours so far, and the OEM cranberries would do just fine for that. It's the stuff I need to carry on the daily commute that large cases come in handy. Laptop bag is a prime example. Hardhat is another. Company I used to work for has a shop some miles away from the office, and when I bike commute, I have to carry my PPE on the bike. Steel toes I can just wear, but other stuff, like notebook and testing equipment have to go somewhere.

Size can also help with the honey-do's on the way home. If there was one thing I missed about the C14, it was carrying 2 gallons milk jugs in one side and six packs in the other. :laugh2:

Here something obscene which to some is offensive. If you want to tour alot get a set of E41's with the SW-Motech racks. The rack are quick lock detachable. I get several days worth of gear and clothing in these. I put a set of Admore lighting fully operational indicators in the reflective lenses.

post-23337-0-78690600-1398356763.jpg

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried using the OEM panniers with a Hi level Akrapovic fitted?

They provide a lower level one to use with panniers, but without the side bags, the Hi level one looks hugely better. I just wondered what happened if you used the bags with the Hi level exhaust. I doubt it would actually hit the bags, but no doubt the exhaust gases would be aimed at the bag. However would that really matter?

Anyone?

I have a Leo Vince pipe. It comes with two different bracket arms for with and with out bags. I'm able to use the high mount bracket and still clear my bags. Like you mentioned about the Akra, just flat looks better.....

The MIVV utilises different link pipes to achieve the adjustment. No idea about the Leo Vince as the web site was so bad I gave up.

I intend to use the Akrapovic though, so may have to look into making up my own link pipes to do the same job.

Honda had a great system on the VFR750 (first SSSA model). It had a spring loaded flexible connector so the muffler could be moved around. That's what I really want.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have Shad 43 bags. They match to the bike pretty well and are easily removed when not needed. Lockable and very spaceous, readily fitting helmet, riding jacket when parked, and briefcase, workout stuff when commuting.

post-31052-0-11660800-1411275983.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have Shad 43 bags. They match to the bike pretty well and are easily removed when not needed. Lockable and very spaceous, readily fitting helmet, riding jacket when parked, and briefcase, workout stuff when commuting.

I have never used them. I guess you find they are as water proof as factory or Givi?

• Member Contributer

They have not leaked for me when parked outside in a shower, but I try not to ride in the rain, taking the cage instead. They do have a rubber gasket where the clamshells come together so I expect them to stay pretty dry even in heavy rain.

Archived