Input On Hard Luggage For 2012 Vfr1200 Dct

VFR-SPORT

I went with the Givi E41's at first for long journeys then recently got a set of E22 for short commutes. The E22 and E41's are interchangeable on the SW-Motech racks which is a huge cost saver.

post-23337-0-83793300-1429010919.jpg

post-23337-0-32273400-1429010942.jpg

post-23337-0-16257900-1429010989.jpg

imho the Honda rack is a lot sturdier than the givi (which I have fitted and and had to bolster) , ideally I would have the Honda rack with a givi mount and box , I have also fitted craven comet panniers ( though I did had to modify the lid fittings, paint them and fabricate mounting brackets ), which gives me 42ltrs( 21 each side) in the panniers and 51 ltrs in the box - so loads of space plusthe panniers are not quite as wide as the brake and clutch levers , so when I fold the mirrors in if the levers go through the gap the whole bike does - it's brilliant for filtering

• Member Contributer

I saw some pics of the Givi top case rack bent. I went for the SW Motech top case rack with a Givi Monokey plate, and just picked up some very lightly used OEM bags (altho I haven't seen them yet, they are en route...)

Top case is the way to go for me, as I have an oversized computer. Briefcase with laptop fit perfectly, and once folded suit jacket lays perfectly on top of that.

- Dan

95% of the time I ride with top case only. The panniers go on only when I need to carry something else that the top case alone won't hold. That SW Motech rack is solid. Can't say that about all the Motech racks I've had, but this one for the VFR1200 is anchored well.

• Member Contributer

95% of the time I ride with top case only. The panniers go on only when I need to carry something else that the top case alone won't hold. That SW Motech rack is solid. Can't say that about all the Motech racks I've had, but this one for the VFR1200 is anchored well.

Yes, the SW Motech rack is way solid. I've had a 40lb briefcase in my giant Maxia E52 on multiple occasions with no issue.

Nice to have the side bags tho (yes, I like the way they look).

00B07DF7-0B0E-496B-A122-5B3C391B90DD_zps

- Dan

Dan,

I think you got a great combo there. If I have to do it over again, I probably would go the same route if I could find a set of OEM panniers at a reasonable price. At the time I got mine, the cranberries were no less than $1k for a pretty pair. As little as I use side panniers, I just couldn't swing that kind of cash and let them sit in my garage most of the time.

Instead, I spend my dough on what I use most... 2 top cases: Givi V46 for everyday use, and a honking E55 Maxi when I need to haul some serious loot.

I went with the Givi E41's at first for long journeys then recently got a set of E22 for short commutes. The E22 and E41's are interchangeable on the SW-Motech racks which is a huge cost saver.

Those E22s actually fit the lines of the VFR1200 very well when viewed from the side. I wish Givi would do the same thing for their V35s. Definitely would love a pair of "junior" bags I could hang on my V35 racks. I probably would keep them on my bike most of the time if they tuck in tight and don't stick out much more than the mirrors.

Volfy I "believe", not sure, but I am pretty certain that the SW-Motech V-35 racks have the same anchor points as the non-35 racks. Meaning while yes you can only mount V35's to V35 racks you can mount the rack part of the generic SW-Motech EVO racks to the frame mounts of your V35's. Ive seen the occasional SW-Motech racks for the VFR1200 floating around eBay at times Sometimes pretty cheap too. I say this is a belief because I haven't tried or seen it myself, however if you look at the mounting instructions for both racks, the part numbers for the hard anchor points is the same. I once even called SW-Motech and asked them to just sell me the metal rack part itself but no dice. The first is the parts catalog inventory for the standard EVO racks. The 2nd is for the V35's. The mounts look identical.

post-23337-0-96752000-1429446831.jpg

post-23337-0-77012400-1429446849.jpg

Thanks, WB. That's some great info. I didn't think of checking the mounting points compatibility. Those parts do appear to be identical. It would make a lot of sense for Motech to have only one set of hard points for both rack systems. I checked TwistedThrottle and they do not have just the side carrier rack.

phpC7lh3i.jpg

I bought a set of Motech locks (like the one above) for the V35 rack, and I have just gotten used to leaving them on the VFR1200, even when I don't need the V35s. The racks don't look too terrible by themselves and don't weigh hardly anything. Still, if they make a set of slim lightweight hardbags, I could use them on the bike as mud flaps. :cool: I do notices with the V35s mounted, they do block a lot of the overspray kicked up by the rear tire from getting to me.

• Member Contributer

that right bag looks like it will keep your lunch warm

Sure does. it has a metal heat shield below and a small insulating pad on the inside.

- Dan

I have the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO side carrier from Twisted Throttle that I originally mounted 20mm Ammo cans to carry tools, but since just mount these small Cortech saddlebags. The side carriers can easily removed.post-29678-0-32046500-1429853938.jpgpost-29678-0-32046500-1429853938.jpg

Volfy glad I could shed some insight. I just found out in a few months time I am moving to San Angelo, TX. Maybe someday I can make the trek to Houston and have ride with you.

Sure thing. You are gonna be closer than I am to the Hill Country, which has the best motorcycle roads Texas has to offer. Our semi-annual 3 Sisters trip was supposed to be this weekend, but we decided to postpone due to weather.

Oil patch relocation, I take it?

I need to get in on that 3 sisters action. Hopefully someone will invite me one of these years ;)

There are quite a few of us VFR1200 pilots around these parts, we should rendezvous at 3Sisters one weekend and do a few roundie rounds. Not sure if there are any from Houston, but I don't mind flying solo out there for a Meet&Greet.

Archived