5Th Gen Electric Calamity

timmythecop

• Member Contributer

Nope. This is a big azz ground connector. About 20 wires. The 'ness doesn't affect this block, but it is near it.

• Member Contributer

Where's kkkken? I hear Jimmy Stewart voice... wh***s...

Really cold weather and a depleting charge in the battery from lack of use or charging is deadly. Surprising that it started at all. The battery may have frozen and warped plates. Be certain to charge the replacement battery to full capacity b4 installing, no matter what the counter guy says, even if you trust him. R3~

Really cold weather and a depleting charge in the battery from lack of use or charging is deadly. Surprising that it started at all. The battery may have frozen and warped plates. Be certain to charge the replacement battery to full capacity b4 installing, no matter what the counter guy says, even if you trust him. R3~

The Li-Poly batteries typically are fully charged out of the box.

Nice Stones reference...

Now buy yourself and/or use a battery tender... they're much cheaper then batteries...

don't ride with the battery KO or it might take out the R/R and Stator as collatoral damage...

• Member Contributer

Now buy yourself and/or use a battery tender... they're much cheaper then batteries...

That was the end reasoning for buying the 3/4 tenders I have now. It seemed like every year a battery would die, whether I put them on a charger once a month after storing them inside or leaving them in the bike for the winter.

$ battery tender < $ battery

Also, if you are using a Li-Ion/LiFePO4/A123 battery, DO NOT USE A TENDER ON THEM. Tenders are only for Pb batteries.

Oh I just done read the whole thread and it would seem Mr FlatBlack got hisself one o them thar Li-on batteries... meanin he done gone borrowed it from Leon or sum'in?? Don't be gettin' all tender over that one... not like a NY steak or nothin'. Ya hear? Tender is for Loin not Lion...

kinda

Git it??

I had a similar problem. Ended up being the ignition wire. If I turned the handlebars just right, it'd go black. Did the clock die? If not, probably ignition. If it's black, try turning the handlebars or fiddling with the wire coming out from the key module.

As far as fixing that, I'm in the middle of figuring that out myself. Resistance is good, clock works, but still black..

oh it is black alright.

No my problem was total and sudden battery failure. No signs of impending doom, but I should have seen it coming after the ice station zebra winter we had and me leaving it in an unheated garage.

fired right up and is charging as it should. I forgot how light this unit is, and when I picked it up, I almost threw it over my head. Less than 1/4 wieght of the Yuasa. Note the legos that snap on the bottom to take up free space:

10153939_10203502562824440_1497319259_n.

• Member Contributer

Note the legos that snap on the bottom to take up free space:

Looks like a great place to store your stash...oh...wait...I didn't just tell a cop that. :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks of commuting later, it is as if nothing ever happened. Only difference with this new battery is there are now only 2 values shown on volt meter: 13.4 at idle and 14.8 once moving. Rock solid. Never changes. The weight savings is absolutely un-noticeable, but this is a heavy bike to begin with.

Archived