Standard Map On Vfr Ecu

enzed_viffer

Question

Something occurred to me yesterday, when trying to sort out a suitable Power Commander map for the VFR. In the past, I've tried all sorts of maps that were supposed to be really good, yet made the bike worse. My question is this: Do VFRs for different markets come with different factory ECU maps, to suit each country's fuel, etc., or a unique map for each individual bike, or does the factory map all bikes for a particular year with the same settings, regardless of which country they're shipped to? If either of the first two cases apply, then it would explain why when I've loaded a map that someone else with a 2000 or 2001 VFR has said was brilliant, it was 'less than stellar' when I loaded it. I've actually found that apart from the last map I loaded, every map I've tried has been worse than just running O2 sensor eliminators and no PC.

15 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Each country would have aw specific mapping based on the emissions regs for that country, unless another countries setup was close enough to pass said regulations.

• Member Contributer

Each country would have aw specific mapping based on the emissions regs for that country, unless another countries setup was close enough to pass said regulations.

How do we know this is fact? I've never heard of anything like this before. I know some European countries are weird, but my understanding was all of the "major" markets were identical. I'm wondering how we would know for sure either way?

Well the US ECU I installed on my Spanish or EU VTEC didn't make an ounce of difference to the bike's VTEC function or general FI functioning at all. I get the same mileage and there's no perceptible difference really so I seriously doubt that hypothesis.

• Member Contributer

How do we know this is fact? I've never heard of anything like this before. I know some European countries are weird, but my understanding was all of the "major" markets were identical. I'm wondering how we would know for sure either way?

There were different part numbers for American and Canadian ECUs, so I would think there has to be some differences... California ECUs were different on older bikes. PowerCommander has different maps for European PCs vs American maps... so, I'm thinkin' there are measurable differences

• Member Contributer

I'm with Rush 2112 on this one.

I know for a fact that the Australia/New Zealand (AU/NZ) 2009 model has a different part number for the ECU to that of the US.

I thought the US ones were generally different to that of the EU, AU/NZ, and this has to be based on general software configuration.

The US is the only market that has the carbon canister as well.

When I first fitted a PCV to my 2010, I tried a few of the US based maps and ended up finding the EU map supplied by PowerCommander the best until I could get my own built.

Moot point now as I've moved to a RapidBike RB3 and mapped the lot myself.

I'm with Rush 2112 on this one.

I know for a fact that the Australia/New Zealand (AU/NZ) 2009 model has a different part number for the ECU to that of the US.

I thought the US ones were generally different to that of the EU, AU/NZ, and this has to be based on general software configuration.

The US is the only market that has the carbon canister as well.

When I first fitted a PCV to my 2010, I tried a few of the US based maps and ended up finding the EU map supplied by PowerCommander the best until I could get my own built.

Moot point now as I've moved to a RapidBike RB3 and mapped the lot myself.

I agree - I too tried the US maps and they weren't ideal, but the Yurpeen ones were better.

What's a "RapidBike RB3", where did you purchase it, and how does it work?

• Member Contributer

Might not apply so well to Vtec models, as EU, Japan & USA emission regs have been getting closer over the last 10 years. But in the 90's there were big differences in the emission regs. In some instances it was easier for the manufacturer to just build to the strictest set & sell that world wide, as it saves money if no extra components are used.

EU models got HISS security system from Y2K models, so there will be ECU part number differences from then, as the chip in the key is coded to the ECU.

I also think that different markets get different mapping. Mainly because the fuel and regulations. One other question, if Us models get HISS from the 2000 year, is it normal my 2003 vtec to come without it. Because i dont have one.

• Member Contributer

enzed_viffer

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'll answer from above.

The RB3 is like a PCV but has ignition mapping as well as fuel plus lots of other stuff.

There are RB2 units that allow fuel and ignition mapping but only a single one where the RB3 can have 2 sets of maps.

They both support quickshifters, redline increase, accelerator pump setting etc.

I bought mine from www.rapidbikeusa.com

The RB2/RB3 range is out of production but the US distributor did have stocks of the units.

I've found the unit to be more predictable than the PCV and the PCV quickshifters only shut off fuel, where the RB shuts off ign/fuel and you can run the likes of Cordona shifters.

Cheers

Phil

There is a difference in the wiring. EU has HISS while US doesn't. And to get the US ECU to work on my EU bike we had to jumper a 12V wire thus creating 2x 12V supply, one to each connector on the ECU as the EU and Australian ones only have one 12V Supply wire to only one of the two conductors. Don't recall which at the moment.

OK, now I have a nuther question. After years of trying many maps, modding my own, etc etc., my current map (downloaded from this site the other day) is the BEST map I've ever tried, except for some small hesitancy at around 5%-10% throttle. "Who rides at 5% throttle?!?!?" you cry. Well.. it turns out, *I* do, and surprisingly, a LOT of the time. (I know what the throttle opening is, as I put marks on the twist grip and housing while looking at the PC screen).

Anyhow, looking at the map, I found something odd that might account for there being only one glitchy bit of fueling on an otherwise great map. The 10% column has figures in it on two different tables (I can't remember which ones, and I'm at work at the moment, but either table can be used for this same RPM and throttle range). It seems like when the ECU / PCII moves from the 5% to 10% column, this is causing the hiccup. So how does the PowerCommander interpret this? Does it use both together, or does one table take precedence over the other? How do I choose which table's figures to remove?

Never mind; jolly bad form I know, but I think I'll answer my own question.

"Why don't you just delete the numbers in one column, and see what difference it makes? If it's better - great, otherwise reinstate them and delete the figures in the other column."

Thanks for that; I think I'll do that when I get home. :goofy:

(What do we call this - "self-foruming"? Does it make you go blind? [Can't tell if it makes you go mad... too late for that...])

So... I deleted one column from one table, and it made it much worse. :angry:

Still don't know if the tables are additive/cumulative.

Still don't know how to tell if hesitation/stumbling means too lean or too rich, or too much of a step between adjacent values. :sad:

But hopefully I'll get there eventually.

Ian - great to hear you're still fiddling about with that blue beast! We've all been hoping to hear more stories of crashing and blowing up and then blowing up some more! ;)

I don't have much to offer on your conundrum other than to suggest you make sure your throttle is adjusted properly at the right grip. The herky jerky I had on my bike went away once I fixed mine up.

Whelp, last night I did some research, and suddenly (actually, it was s-l-o-w-l-y), the light went on :idea3:

So... I went out to the garage, and disconnected the plug from the PAIR system. :491:

Put the fairing panel back on, and went back inside to do some more VFRd research. And my laptop crashed, died, burst into flames, and died all over again. :mad:

Well... actually, it just flashed up a lovely white screen with thin black lines, and that was that.

So, I went for a ride, and it seems that the :idea3: was right, coz the herky-jerky was gone.

Just wish I could now load some better maps, that don't have heaps of fuel added to counteract the air injection from the PAIR system. Asked my VERY techy son for some help, and he just laughed and said, "Your GPU is fried". Gee, thanx, Dave. :mad:

Luckily (or prehaps not), I have a very old Compaq 'portable' (in quotes, because it weighs a ton, being made in the time of Noah, and carved from solid granite by the feel of it), which is useless for anything but 'bike stuff', as all that is on it is Power Commander s/w and the VFR mainteance manual. Unfortunately, it can't connect to teh interwebs, so I dunno if I can get a sensible map onto it, unless I can copy some onto a CD.

Technology, huh? :comp13:

Archived