Your Opinion Please

I have a third gen that I resurrected from the dead. Now, what I didn't tell most of you, was that the guy I bought it off of (a BWI cop) sold it to me without telling me it had a salvage title. I can't find any reason for it to have that title, but nevertheless, I wasn't happy when 1/2 way home I saw it. The bike has 25k on it and I've ridden it a whopping 1.1 miles

I never really thought it would bother me. Well, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't even had this 3rd gen on the road after sinking about 400 into her and probably 70 hours...that leaves me with a bike that has a salvage title that I have spent 1300 on. I don't like the lh exhaust as I miss the center stand terribly and although I like the styling of the third, there is something about the 4th gen.

That said, I found a fourth gen with 50k on it but it is an R title, as in rebuilt. Owner states it was due to the insurance company writing it off for a tip over for fairings which as we all know can and does happen. The guy wants a grand for it.

Do I dismiss this 3rd and sell it, possibly eating some funds, or hold onto it? Every time I turn around, it is something else with it. I have a valve cover gasket on the way now, and waiting on a uni filter. Every time I think I'm going to get on the road, something hamstrings me.

and before you ask, I'm not going through the h3ll of swapping the exhaust out for a rh exhaust.

so, keep the third, or go for the 4th?

• Member Contributer

Well, a handful of the bikes we buy are salvage, and some cars too. Salvage title just means that the insurance decided not to fix it. Could have been smashed to bits, or just had a broken fairing. All it takes to get salvage over to rebuilt (can never be a clean title again), is have highway patrol look over paperwork that you replaced parts and fixed it, then they issue you the paperwork to get it as a rebuilt title.

Sounds like you're more torn between having a 3rd gen or 4th gen. No opinion on that. Both are good. A little biased to the 4th.

That's not very nice of the guy (cop or not) not to tell you that it had a salvaged title, as it definitely affects the value of the bike..... but there might have been hints to you that the bike was salvaged as you just noted to us you "resurrected it from the dead", so I'm not sure why you did not check further with him before you bought the bike.

As for which one to keep? I would say, keep the one in better condition as the two gens are quite similar anyway. It would be a better day though if the 4th gen happens to be the one that's in better condition, as apart from the slight updates on the 4th gen and its lighter weight, the 4th gen seems to finally surging in popularity and maybe it might hold it's value better in the future.......but that's all just an opinion from a loyal 4th gen owner.... :rolleyes: .

frame, wheels, etc are all straight. one 'ding' in the swing arm. Haven't had the bike out to really decide for myself. As for the title, yes, I should've seen it, I looked right past it.

Yes, I can sell it, but not (and I wouldn't) as anything but salvage.

To be honest, I bought it to flip it, but after the title issue, I figure I'd never get what I paid for it back, so just went ahead and made it road worthy.

I told myself before that I wouldn't let a salvage (before I actually owned one) titled bike, esp a vfr, bother me. Maybe I just need to buck up, put tags on it, take it for a ride, see if it puts a smile on my face and go from there.

you see, this is my first 3rd gen. I've had numerous fourth gens and just love them. I've had one fifth gen and despised it.

here is the bike that I am considering, no, I do not have it

00H0H_kDqKWnQtZm1_600x450.jpg

• Member Contributer

That Dunlop decal most likely hides a scratch...... :goofy:

NACA's/4th Gens ARE the best, you already know that....

• Member Contributer

You cannot plate a salvage titled bike. Only rebuilt. You already did the rebuilt work, just finish up the paperwork. Rebuilt titles don't sell for as much as clean, but it's much better than salvage.

I'm sure you'll find things wrong with the 4th gen after you get it home.

I have a third gen that I resurrected from the dead. Now, what I didn't tell most of you, was that the guy I bought it off of (a BWI cop) sold it to me without telling me it had a salvage title. I can't find any reason for it to have that title, but nevertheless, I wasn't happy when 1/2 way home I saw it. The bike has 25k on it and I've ridden it a whopping 1.1 miles

I never really thought it would bother me. Well, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't even had this 3rd gen on the road after sinking about 400 into her and probably 70 hours...that leaves me with a bike that has a salvage title that I have spent 1300 on. I don't like the lh exhaust as I miss the center stand terribly and although I like the styling of the third, there is something about the 4th gen.

That said, I found a fourth gen with 50k on it but it is an R title, as in rebuilt. Owner states it was due to the insurance company writing it off for a tip over for fairings which as we all know can and does happen. The guy wants a grand for it.

Do I dismiss this 3rd and sell it, possibly eating some funds, or hold onto it? Every time I turn around, it is something else with it. I have a valve cover gasket on the way now, and waiting on a uni filter. Every time I think I'm going to get on the road, something hamstrings me.

and before you ask, I'm not going through the h3ll of swapping the exhaust out for a rh exhaust.

so, keep the third, or go for the 4th?

ahh good ole jonny law yep model citizens they are-- look here is what you do relax !! wait and wait some more- check out my gallery it took me 6 months but i got that vfr700---and had to work on it and need to do some more to get it the way i want it-- these things take time--- but worth the wait-- stick you what you have; deal with it and get it the way you want it-- as long as the title states you are owner- then tax office it and get it pl8ed--- after that fix it up while you can-- it may take you a year but when its all done you got what you want-- buy a new exhaust and get a center stand those are small prices to pay to have the bike that you want-- remember as time goes on they are harder and harder to find!! you my friend have one cherish it----- good luck

The most false statement ever, hehe.

OP: Sell the LH exit header for major dough, put on a stock one. Sell the 3rd gen and get a 4th gen!

Or a Ducati 848.

Or Triumph 955i.

Or an Aprilia Tuono.

Or CB1000R.

Or Ducati 1199.

Or BMW S1000RR.

• Member Contributer

If you're lucky it's a false statement. 18 bikes, and all of them have held a little surprise. Even the ones that were bought as ready to go bikes.

OP: Sell the LH exit header for major dough, put on a stock one. Sell the 3rd gen and get a 4th gen!

Or a Ducati 848.

Or Triumph 955i.

Or an Aprilia Tuono.

Or CB1000R.

Or Ducati 1199.

Or BMW S1000RR.

just curious, what does a full lh exhaust go for? I do have a buyer on for what I want

Archived