Reviving A 95

Guest Wefite4u

Guest Wefite4u

I am the proud new owner of a 95 VFR to go with my 07 anniversary edition VFR.

The 95 has been sittig since late 96 and has about 3500 miles on it. It was my fathers bike and he bought it new from the dealer in 95. He high sided it and parked it. He drained all fuel and the tank was stored in his house so it is in like new condition. The rest of the bike has been sitting in a country barn and was how to mice and other barn dwelers.

The things i know i need are new tires, new battery, replace all fluids, possibly tearing into the carbs. What else should i be looking at? There is minor rust on the rear subframe, but other then that everything else looks pretty good after her long bath.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. The bike is completely stock and my wife will be the one riding it.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

The chain is probably not in the best shape- check it for binding/ tight spots

Suspension- the front fork fluid is probably not going to work very well after 17 years. Even if you are not riding it hard it would be worth the cost of replacing. Not sure if you were including this on your "fluids" change

Check the brakes to make sure the pistons are not sticking.

Other than that, not much else that I can think of!

congrats- way to keep a great bike in the family

She cleaned up rather well. The center and side stands are rusted as well as some of the fairing mounts. The paint is coming of of the right side engine cover too. Apparently mouse urine is pretty corrosive.

Going to start with an oil and coolant change and see if it will start. Probably going to need new plugs. Is there any chance of damaging the engine by trying to start it after sitting so long?

post-28624-0-45682700-1382816305.jpg

post-28624-0-26477900-1382816330.jpg

post-28624-0-34613900-1382816354.jpg

post-28624-0-87790200-1382816381.jpg

post-28624-0-74566700-1382816409.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's awesome!

Clutch and brake master cylinders may need cleaning/rebuild depending on how gunked up the fluid is (I had to rebuild them on my VFR that had been sitting for a few years).

• Member Contributer

You might also want to check the charging system components while you have the fairing panels removed. Look for any charred or brownish colored plastic connectors that plug in to the R/R.

Another maintenance item that might be a good idea along with all the others mentioned is to replace the headlight bulbs and maybe the instrument panel bulbs. If they have never been changed, they require the removal of the upper cowl and since you are almost all the way there, why not. You might consider adding some LED's to the gauge cluster to personalize the bike a bit. I only changed the ones for the gauges on my wife's bike as that was all she wanted so you will only need 5 of the bulbs. The two lower bulbs by the large electrical connectors, the one by the top middle mounting post, the one beside the right mounting post and the bulb on the far right lower corner of the instrument cluster.

post-25028-0-62430500-1382821883.jpg

post-25028-0-04145700-1382822121.jpg

very nice looking bike, I absolutely love the 4th gens, and here I am stuck with 2 third gens lol. The side stand and center stand can be painted, no biggie there and you can do the same with the engine cover if you really want to. You will need a new gasket there though. Take a look into a vfr ness from wire my bike dot com and a rectifier from the same or electrosport. Important to insure the charging system is working correctly. It's no fun being stranded. I go through and clean and dilectric grease all the connections while I have a bike torn down that far. After you finish cleaning the carbs, put a tablespoon of oil or so down the intake side of the engine to help the pistons out initially. Make sure all your bulbs are functioning too while it's necked.

Get her going then you can go into things like HH pads, steel lines, etc.

Yeah, the fork fluid and brake/clutch fluid will definitely need to be changed. And probably disassemble and clean the master cylinders and slave cylinder/calipers.

Carbs could be gunky, even if they were drained. It's been sitting for 17 years.

Check all rubber bits, dismantle and lubricate/repack everything.

Steering head bearings, wheel bearings, swingarm and suspension bearings, rear drive hub bearings, etc.

And new tires are a guarantee.

• Member Contributer

Another thing to be sure to check if it was sitting in a barn for 17 years would be the air box and exhaust. Those are both great places for mice and other critters to make homes. Have a friend in Calgary that shot a mouse out of one of the tail pipes on his 1987 Ninja 1000 when he tried to start it the following spring. It was truly amazing how much stuff was stuck in the tail pipe. He even found stuff inside the header pipe when he removed the exhaust after shooting the mouse across the yard and nearly hitting me in the head with it as I walked up the sidewalk to the house.

• Member Contributer

Before you crank the engine, pull the plugs and spray some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders an let it soak overnight. Leave the plugs out, put it in sixth and HAND turn the rear wheel to see if the pistons will move freely in the cylinders. This usually frees up the rings too.

Thank you all. This is the kind of information i was looking for. Pulling the entire exhaust was one of the things on my initial list of things to do. I could see mice nesting in there easily.

• Member Contributer

congrats on your 95! you will sure enjoy that 4th gen ride. great addition to your 6th gen. two different and great rides. enjoy them for what they are!

Archived